User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: White Industries

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default White Industries

    I have a question about the spindle of the M30 Mountain Crankset. Is the spindle of the M30 Mountain Crankset interchangeable with Raceface cinch 30mm spindles? More specifically, can I use a RaceFace CINCH Power Meter Spindle on the M30 Mountain Crankset? I have emailed WI but thought I would get the VS MTB communities intel as well. I will report back with WI reply too.
    Last edited by joosttx; 03-25-2019 at 09:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Don't have an answer for you but wanted to let you know that I've called WI recently and they usually pick up on the first try. I've had their M30 cranks and G30 (or maybe R30) cranks and love em.
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    WI responded first thing this morning to the inquery I sent last night. Raceface spindles are not compatible. Bummer.
    Last edited by joosttx; 03-26-2019 at 01:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    WI responded first thing this morning to the inquery I sent last night. Raceface spindles are not compatible. Bummer.
    Did they say exactly why? I wouldn't necessarily accept that answer without further investigation. Officially, Cannondale, Race Face and FSA spindles aren't compatible either, but they are. You just have to know what you're getting into. Back when Race Face wasn't making a 150mm spindle for the Next SL cranks, I asked them if the spindle for the SixC was compatible and was told it's a different taper. I ordered one anyway, and measured the taper angle and length. It turns out that the taper is identical and the SixC spindles have a 1mm per side longer taper...which is easy enough to remove on a lathe.

    Point being, it might be worth your time to buy a used or broken Next SL spindle and test it on the crank before accepting their answer. Of course the lengths might differ as well and the WI site is pretty light on info. FWIW, Race Face spindles are available in widths of QR hub OLN dimensions -1mm.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Did they say exactly why? I wouldn't necessarily accept that answer without further investigation. Officially, Cannondale, Race Face and FSA spindles aren't compatible either, but they are. You just have to know what you're getting into. Back when Race Face wasn't making a 150mm spindle for the Next SL cranks, I asked them if the spindle for the SixC was compatible and was told it's a different taper. I ordered one anyway, and measured the taper angle and length. It turns out that the taper is identical and the SixC spindles have a 1mm per side longer taper...which is easy enough to remove on a lathe.

    Point being, it might be worth your time to buy a used or broken Next SL spindle and test it on the crank before accepting their answer. Of course the lengths might differ as well and the WI site is pretty light on info. FWIW, Race Face spindles are available in widths of QR hub OLN dimensions -1mm.
    WI- said that all spindles from all manufactures are slightly different which is not the best answer. To not accept it though, would require me to plop down $300+ (to buy the crank) to test it with the RF powermeter spindle. I dont know anyone having one around to test. If you anyone has one and is willing to ship it to me for testing I am gladly willing to pay for shipping.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    WI- said that all spindles from all manufactures are slightly different which is not the best answer. To not accept it though, would require me to plop down $300+ (to buy the crank) to test it with the RF powermeter spindle. I dont know anyone having one around to test. If you anyone has one and is willing to ship it to me for testing I am gladly willing to pay for shipping.
    It wasn't clear to me that you didn't already have the crank.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    It wasn't clear to me that you didn't already have the crank.
    You got me it hung to try it out

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Why not run an xtr with a stages left arm? Rocky Mountain races them in the ews if you are worried about durability
     

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Humboldt County
    Posts
    973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Sounds like he's got RF cranks with the PM already and wants to switch to the WI because they're balleur.

    I am pretty skeptical of trying spline interfaces that "aren't exactly the same", but that could be a line trotted out to make it clear that if your stuff breaks it's not their fault.

    Let us know if you get experimenting. Raceface and Easton share a spline type, right? So if it works with Raceface to WI M30s, it would probably work with Easton Cinch to WI R30s? That would be an intriguing development.
     

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    Sounds like he's got RF cranks with the PM already and wants to switch to the WI because they're balleur.

    I am pretty skeptical of trying spline interfaces that "aren't exactly the same", but that could be a line trotted out to make it clear that if your stuff breaks it's not their fault.

    Let us know if you get experimenting. Raceface and Easton share a spline type, right? So if it works with Raceface to WI M30s, it would probably work with Easton Cinch to WI R30s? That would be an intriguing development.
    Yeah I’m using a RF turbine crank which is fine. The WI M30 is neat looking. And yes Easton and RF share the same spindle. And I think your logic is right.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    hell, if anyone here has a WI spindle sitting around and wants to let me borrow it for a good cause, I'll check it with a tenths indicator against the RF. I'll send it back and will report here.

    The bike industry being what it is, you never know what to expect. The logical thing to do would be to use an existing "standard" that works (unintentionally or not) across different manufacturer platforms. Of course it's entirely possible that the crew at WI made a spindle that appears to be identical to the C-Dale/RaceFace/SRAM/FSA spindles but for some reason is not.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Humboldt County
    Posts
    973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    I know a splined interface is different- but I recall all kinds of hemming and hawing about getting JIS versus ISO taper wrong causing crank taper deformation and eventually, failure. I wouldn't want a situation we used to call "wallering out".
     

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Estes Park, Colorado
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    any updates on this? did the raceface / cinch spindle fit the M30?
     

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I have a question about the spindle of the M30 Mountain Crankset. Is the spindle of the M30 Mountain Crankset interchangeable with Raceface cinch 30mm spindles? More specifically, can I use a RaceFace CINCH Power Meter Spindle on the M30 Mountain Crankset? I have emailed WI but thought I would get the VS MTB communities intel as well. I will report back with WI reply too.
    I just wanted to add an observation about the Cinch Power Meter spindle.

    I have a Cannondale crankset that hasn't been used and the spline is identical to the Race Face. However, it's offset by 22.5 which would probably have an adverse effect on power readings. In addition to that, the bolt used on the non-drive side (the one with the removable cap for charging) sits proud of the crank arm by about 2.5mm. Once the waterproof cap is installed, the whole assembly sits about 5-6mm proud of the outside face of the arm. I thought about machining my own bolt, but the charging port needs that space so there's no way to make it flush that doesn't involve repositioning the circuit board inside which risks breaking one of the three wires that are attached to the strain gauge (which are about 0.005" thick)

    Incidentally, I have a destroyed power meter spindle. If you're interested in trying to fit it up, I'll send it out to you with all the non-drive attachment bits and you can see if it fits with the caveat that I'd like it to be returned to me when you're done.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    Thanks but I already sold the bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    I just wanted to add an observation about the Cinch Power Meter spindle.

    I have a Cannondale crankset that hasn't been used and the spline is identical to the Race Face. However, it's offset by 22.5 which would probably have an adverse effect on power readings. In addition to that, the bolt used on the non-drive side (the one with the removable cap for charging) sits proud of the crank arm by about 2.5mm. Once the waterproof cap is installed, the whole assembly sits about 5-6mm proud of the outside face of the arm. I thought about machining my own bolt, but the charging port needs that space so there's no way to make it flush that doesn't involve repositioning the circuit board inside which risks breaking one of the three wires that are attached to the strain gauge (which are about 0.005" thick)

    Incidentally, I have a destroyed power meter spindle. If you're interested in trying to fit it up, I'll send it out to you with all the non-drive attachment bits and you can see if it fits with the caveat that I'd like it to be returned to me when you're done.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    For whatever it's worth, I have installed WI arms on easton/raceface spindles. I don't own any sort of measuring equipment that would even come close to working for this, but all the putting them end to end, holding up to light, carefully installing, etc. led me to believe it was 100% compatible. This was just a standard 132mm spindle and nothing with power though.

    I have done this same thing using sram and cannondale spindles and different flavors of stages spindles.
    So I say to youth right now. Don't sway to the unjust,
    no matter what they say, never give in.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Humboldt County
    Posts
    973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: White Industries

    I'd be curious about the observation Vertigo made about a bit of the power pod sitting proud of the crankarm in relation to the WI cranks. You'd need to compare thickness of the crank at the spindle.

    No clue if the design of the PM would give bad readings. I'd imagine the firmware for the PM was designed to be repeatable with strain being put through the stock crank.
     

Similar Threads

  1. What do you think of the new White Industries T11 hub?
    By Dorman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM
  2. White Industries BB
    By ericspin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •