User Tag List

Thread: understanding geo charts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default understanding geo charts

Shopping for a new mountain bike and hoping someone here might humor me. Situation is:

Iím 6í7Ē (+), havenít shopped for a new mtb for over a decade, and donít have the budget for a custom bike. Since very few shops stock xxls, my theory is that I should shoot for about the biggest stock bike I can find and go for it. (Looking for trail geo, leaning more towards the cross country side of the spectrum). Trouble isóI really donít know how to make a meaningful comparison. It seems there are so many variables in the MTB world these days. Anyone willing to give me s basic tutorial?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: understanding geo charts

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
    Shopping for a new mountain bike and hoping someone here might humor me. Situation is:

I’m 6’7” (+), haven’t shopped for a new mtb for over a decade, and don’t have the budget for a custom bike. Since very few shops stock xxls, my theory is that I should shoot for about the biggest stock bike I can find and go for it. (Looking for trail geo, leaning more towards the cross country side of the spectrum). Trouble is—I really don’t know how to make a meaningful comparison. It seems there are so many variables in the MTB world these days. Anyone willing to give me s basic tutorial?
    "They" don't make one big enough for you.

Bike shop employees will tell you they do but they don't.

I've built bikes for guys up to 6'9" and on a MTB they all requested top tubes in the effective length from 25" all the way to over 27"

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge View Post

I’m 6’7” (+), haven’t shopped for a new mtb for over a decade, and don’t have the budget for a custom bike. Since very few shops stock xxls, my theory is that I should shoot for about the biggest stock bike I can find and go for it. (Looking for trail geo, leaning more towards the cross country side of the spectrum). Trouble is—I really don’t know how to make a meaningful comparison. It seems there are so many variables in the MTB world these days. Anyone willing to give me s basic tutorial?
    One of my regular riding buddies and fellow builder is Tyson Hart of Civilian bikes. He's 6'8" and certainly has been where you are. Give him a ring and maybe have a chat.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip. I'll check him out. I don't doubt he's worth every penny, but the budget is limited. Hence I'm checking out the off-the-rack stuff. There are a few a XXL models out there with top tubes in the 67-68CM range. Now I'm just trying to figure out how that works with "reach", seat angles, etc. I'm sure I'm still pushing it for size range, but I suspect these are my options if I want to be on a mountain bike.

Sorry for the rookie geo question. I know it's a package deal and you can't isolate one number but I always struggle to get my head around this. (In the past I've just been able to let the builder do his thing!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure your budget but check out guerrilla gravity, there XLs are giant. At 6'7" you want at least 650 stack and 500 reach, the more the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xxl Santa Cruz are big with tall stack

New tall boy/Hightower 2/mega tower are all big bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Xxl Santa Cruz are big with tall stack

New tall boy/Hightower 2/mega tower are all big bikes
    This. I’m 6’3” and ride XL SCs, and a good friend is 6’6” and rides XXLs (we’ve been on multiple generations of the same SCs “together”), and his XXL is WAY too big for me.