Thread: Tubeless help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubeless help

Having some trouble with a wheel set holding air...

Rims: Easton Arc 45
    Tires: Specialized Purgatory 27.5x3"

Backstory: picked this wheel set up last summer off Craigslist, already setup tubeless. Rode last summer/fall no problems. Held air all through the winter. This spring added new Orange Seal. Noticed the tires weep like crazy, added more Orange Seal after a while. A month ago tires go flat on the trail. Make it to the car and add more Orange Seal and ok for the last few weeks. More weepage and leaks around rim bead. Today both tires flat at different times.

Removed tires and there is nice layer of Orange Seal around the tires:

Solutions? New tires? Different sealant? Peel sealant off tire bead and start again?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tubeless help

I'd clean them up good and start from scratch. I've been having good luck with Orange Seal. Is it just weeping from the bead seat? Or elsewhere?

I know I've had to nurse two client wheel sets along when I first set those tires up tubeless. Took some repetition and patience for them to finally seal up.

Edit: You also want the sealant to be fresh/wet and not let it dry out. Looks dry but it could be the photo.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Sealant had dried up, with all the weeping and leaks at the bead all the sealant is gone.

Talked to the shop and they are just going to get me a new set of tires to warranty this set.

Post Thanks / Like

If the sealant is dried up, it can and will stop retaining air FYI. It still will hold air, but depending on the tire/rim, it will leak air at a pretty good rate. I try and refresh my sealant each season.

Good luck!
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

I find that I have to add sealant 2-3x per year depending on usage and if I get any small punctures. Tires rarely last me longer than a year off road (that might change with my infant reduced riding schedule). Larger tires with thinner casings need more sealant and to be topped off more often.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some contis that worked fine for a year and then started bleeding air through the sidewalls at a rate that resulted in having to pump up the tires mid ride. Even after refreshing the sealant, they still leaked. I put on some new tires and all was good again.

Post Thanks / Like

Related but unrelated - just finished setting up some Specialized Renegade 2Bliss 29x2.3 on the ARC 45s as a "go fast" wheelset for my Jones. Easiest setup I've ever done. Both wheels held air for a nice long time even before I added Orange Seal. Biggest question now is how the profile of the Renegades works on the wide rims. I know I'm just about maxed out.

Post Thanks / Like

OHHHHH.....I didn't know they made a 2.3" Renegade!! I had a 1.9" as a rear tire for a summer or two, SUPER fast tire for our summer conditions (dry hardpack). I always wanted a bigger version.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Yup - seems good so far. Just wish I could track down one more of the 26er versions (I have one for my wife's bike, missing the match).

My 29x2.3 tubeless Renegades were about 700 grams each FWIW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Yup - seems good so far. Just wish I could track down one more of the 26er versions (I have one for my wife's bike, missing the match).

My 29x2.3 tubeless Renegades were about 700 grams each FWIW.
    Wow, that's quite a bit heavier. The 1.9" was ~510g. A buddy actually used the 1.9's front/rear on his gravel bike.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Wow, that's quite a bit heavier. The 1.9" was ~510g. A buddy actually used the 1.9's front/rear on his gravel bike.
    I was on the fence between the Renegades and the 2.35 Schwalbe Big Ones (which are crazy light) for this wheelset. I erred on the knobby side.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a fun video of my buddy's Renegades on his last ride on them. He'd pretty much turned the rear into a slick by this point, so he knew it was time to replace them, and then this happened.

The theory :: air got between the tread and the casing, causing the bubble. As air leaked out (slowly), and pressure dropped, the tension in the tread was able to push the air back into the casing.

Instagram

Honestly it's pretty amazing that the tread didn't burst!! And I'm glad he got it on video, I'd have never believed him otherwise haha
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram