User Tag List

Thread: Trials?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trials?

Anyone here ride trials? I think it would be fun to mess around with. School me...24" or 26" wheels, etc, etc.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trials?

When I was in college at Georgia Southern there was a group of ~10 or so of us that rode BMX, and one guy named Alex that was damn good at trials, he would occasionally ride with us. The nights he came out, we just followed him around and watched. He was really, really, really good.

He had a 20" wheel trials bike. It was weird as hell. No seat. Loooooong stem. Hydro rim brakes w/zero modulation - they were either ON or OFF. The freewheel was built into the bottom bracket. What little time I rode it around, the geometry was completely foreign and strange coming off a BMX. With that uber-low gearing he was slow as crap getting around the very flat campus moving from spot to spot, he was just spun out all the time.

I would love to have a trials bike now. Just that whole expense and space restraint thing...
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I did novice trials back when it was a part of most of the local races here in New England - Mike Augspurger or someone would set up the courses and we'd all fall off them after the races. I had no knack for it. That was with regular bikes. A friend of mine had an Ibis trials bike in college, with a bigger front wheel, and I fooled around with that some too, with similar results. As I mentioned above I adopted a really old Monty trials bike that is 20" wheels, big Pirelli tires and caliper brakes with a 2:1 pulley to increase the braking force. Really short cranks.

I really don't play with it much. It would be fun to spend a couple of afternoons trying to get up and down my front steps or making some obstacles in the yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I should add that we had a really good time with that bike around the shop I used to run; people would try to ride it up and down the stairs at the Christmas party (in between heats of slot car racing, that was the main event).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Missed the edit window: This is it:

If I was going to get another one I'd get a 26" inch one, with disc brakes. Maybe I'll get this one out and mess around with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to ride a lot of trials. A 20" bike is WAY easier for "pure trials" than a 24/26" but doesn't help with your mountain bike skills as much, and it's probably harder to build up from your parts-bin. Trials is super fun, especially if you've got a local scene where you can learn from the good guys, and a great way to improve your slow-speed mountain biking.

You can get into the sport quite cheap. The only things you really need are a great rear hub (something with lots of engagement points that will NEVER skip) and a great rear brake. For a beginner you're probably better off with a v-brake as you'll bend a few disc rotors getting your side-hops down, and most of the hydro rim brakes are surprisingly crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Snipped: A 20" bike is WAY easier for "pure trials" than a 24/26" but doesn't help with your mountain bike skills as much...and a great way to improve your slow-speed mountain biking.
    Hit the nail on the head as far as motivation goes here.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the damn time for 15+years

1928715_1068053229441_7321_n.jpg10995592_942357105782510_4899528897599565966_n.jpg

There are two classes of trials - Modified (tiny bikes for mostly hopping) and Stock (Buy a 16" MTB & strip it was the way it used to be done) and now we have ones I'd call "Street"

You're a big guy - check this out:

26″ – ECHO BIKE

And you can see why "Buy a 16" and strip it" is pretty popular at least to start off, both due to the uniqueness and specialization the bikes have achieved, and cost........but man, the full-on ones are HOT.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was waiting for you to chime in, Steve.

Dang that Echo looks hot. I can't look away from the crazy BB height. It's got to be 14" or so. Maybe 15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I can't look away from the crazy BB height. It's got to be 14" or so. Maybe 15.
    Most trials bikes have a BB rise with some as much as 75mm above the axle centerline. This makes balancing on both wheels quite hard (you've got the opposite of the keel-effect that a normal bike with a bb drop has) but they balance really well on the rear wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to

There is plans to build a paved pump track a block from my house (little version of the Steve smith one in nanaimo) that might bring my doberman street bike out of a long retirement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to, was really competitive at one point.

If you're looking to up your game on your MTB on slow techy trails, there's no better way. You don't really need to buy a trials bike (unless you REALLY want to buy one) and I'd argue that if this is really intended to be cross training, you're better off on your MTB or another cheap MTB that you don't mind thrashing.

There are so many little drills you can do with no prep time and probably right in front of your house on a curb. Track stand perpendicular to it with your front tire just a few inches away, load up the chain, release the brakes and pop your front wheel onto it and stop in a track stand. Then do the same thing only now you're advancing your back wheel onto the curb without rolling up onto it. If you can already do that, pop up onto your rear wheel instead of into a track stand. Once you do that, start in a track stand perp. to the curb and go all the way to rear wheel on the curb...progress higher and higher and then keep going. There was a great sloping jersey wall in Towson, MD that my buddies and I would do this drill on until we maxed it out.

There are nearly limitless things you can do with a curb or parking block. Little side hops; 180's onto, off of and on; balance drills etc...you can learn a lot about how to position your body to develop instantaneous torque. If you have quick access to a jersey wall, same thing
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was waiting for you to chime in, Steve.

Dang that Echo looks hot. I can't look away from the crazy BB height. It's got to be 14" or so. Maybe 15.
    Yeah.......they don't have BB drop, but rather BB rise.

Clearance, Clarence!

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed the edit window: This is it:

If I was going to get another one I'd get a 26" inch one, with disc brakes. Maybe I'll get this one out and mess around with it.
    If you can try out a bike with a rear disc before you buy one, do it. I had an Echo back about 18 years ago with a rear disc and hated it. None of the pad compounds available at the time actually gripped well enough for me to be 100% confident on sketchy rear wheel moves. It was more obvious when doing proper natural sections where all the surfaces are imperfect. The other negative was spoke wind-up. You can really feel it when landing on your rear wheel and trying to maintain position and then again when you want to gap to something. When you have a rim brake, all the wind-up happens when you load the cranks so when you release the brake you're getting full power. This is of course in addition to the bent rotor issue when you goof up.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be really into trials as well! I'd love to get a bike again, but I know I'd struggle to find the time to ride it.
    I had a DeSalvo trails bike, it was amazing. Still have it, but the brake post it broken off, should have it fixed.