Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trail bike tires

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trail bike tires

Those Martellos look like a great rear tread, what issues have you seen? PNW is a bit less rocky than CA and we can get away with lighter tires and I'm probably slower than you.

I got my sentinel last week and put the same Magic Mary / Rock Razor combo on it I have been running all summer on my old niner and this was a mistake. The rear end was sliding all over and I did a nice hip check on a tree, admittedly the trail was dry loose and steep and it was my first real ride on the bike. Apparently more wheelbase means I need more rear tread because I can ride further forward on the bike, it also has a much stronger rear brake (code 180 vs XT 160) that is easier to lock. I ordered a new MM because the one I have is a bit worn and will run them on both ends for winter mud season then will need a new rear. I wish schwalbe still made the double defense casing, the super gravity doesn't seem to have any extra tread protection. The new exo+ maxxis look good so do the wtb tough casings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably want something with a little more center tread on the Sentinel. Its for sure less weighted in the rear. I'm running a 200mm back there as well.

Your tires really only want to do one thing at a time. So if you're adding more weight to the front of the bike and cornering and braking and expecting some rear grip, you might as well give the bike all the help it can get with some meatier treads. atmo

I'm liking the DHR2. Even so, everything is dusty and blown out and slick with moondust around here. But what are you gonna do, run a Shorty? (I've considered it)
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    tl;dr conclusion: Mtb tires need to weigh a lot more, fast people ride 2.3" tires, fast people still destroy tires at an alarming rate even with hundreds of grams worth of crap shoved inside their tires.
    Tnx Mickey - super response.

I'm about 135 pounds so call it 145-150 pounds fully kitted out depending on season and hydration pack or no pack. When riding my XC bike out west hardly ever flat. Maybe a thorn here and there but that's about it. Riding a Pivot 5.5 here in Mid Atlantic with roots and rocks galore have snake bit the side wall on a pair of rear tires. Probably because I have low skills and just have a blast bombing it through stuff.

Just FWIW, currently running 27.5 x 2.5WT rubber at about 16-18 PSI for rocky terrain. DHF front is 3C, Maxx Terra, EXO, TR and the Aggressor is the XO, TR version.

Losing Two tires isn't a big deal but I only ride 2-3 times a week so on average the tires weren't even close to worn when I trashed 'em and that felt bad. I patched one but the other was a side wall bite and didn't feel comfortable patching that one as it was too close to the bead to get good coverage inside the tire.

Not interested in going faster persee and this is not a bike I'm setting uphill records on so a heavier tire isn't a big issue and I can do that. Rather its all about fun in dirt and getting smoother and developing better and better skills. Was mostly wondering if the cush core type stuff would help me avoid pinch flats or rim bashes when the inevitable bad line or poor choice happens. Save the equipment and avoid delay to the ride. Sounds like yes.

Always appreciate when you guys with the decades of deep knowledge take time to answer fairly simple questions on gear and technique.

Tnx.

mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    I'm not sold on Vittoria MTB casings outside of xc use.
    Agreed, the product managers i know have been trying some Vittoria and Goodyear tires,
    and they fell apart in 1 or 2 rides.

Anyone tried Flow/Snap or the E13 tires? Vee Tire seems to have some interesting things going
    on at way lower prices than the premium brands.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post

I got my sentinel last week and put the same Magic Mary / Rock Razor combo on it I have been running all summer on my old niner and this was a mistake. The rear end was sliding all over and I did a nice hip check on a tree, admittedly the trail was dry loose and steep and it was my first real ride on the bike.
    The 2.6 Magic Mary/Nobby Nic is a pretty popular combo with the Schwalbe riders in my office. Nobody I know likes the Rock Razor,
    but the new Hans Dampf tread is getting good feedback from some of the aggressive trail riders, with the SuperGravity casing,
    and the softer compound, they have a ton of grip.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently running DHF/Rekon combo in 2.8. Have been wanting something with more traction for the rear for the upcoming wet season on the Shore. The Bontrager SE4s seem to have consistently good reviews, but damn plus tires are $$$.

Kind of wish I'd bought a regular Honzo and run 2.5/2.6s now.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had tried various tires, and since I went to Maxxis Minion DHF front and Minion DHR II in the rear, I have been quite happy.

I am using the 2.3 size for both front and back with the modern wide rim (40mm outer) from Derby and these give great traction and good cushion for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for all your inputs !
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12