Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying a 2020 Trek Fuel EX 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Talk me out of buying a 2020 Trek Fuel EX 5

I am really liking my Fuel EX 9.9. It is now "old" and it's geometry is identical to this year's top Fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your fuel ex 9.9 broken or slowing you down ? If yes buy a new one. My take is if no keep it and enjoy it. But really do what the f you want. =)

Does that solve your tension ?
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-31-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it, had HTs and the current FS are so good I can’t imagine going back. I don’t think you’ll regret this purchase, if anything it will fuel your love for dirt....(pun intended)
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Is your fuel ex 9.9 broken or slowing you down ? If yes buy a new one. My take is if no keep it and enjoy it. But really do what the f you want. =)

Does that solve your tension ?
    No bike is slowing me down these days. I am ot looking at changing my Trek, it's perfectly good with no dropper and all. I was just giving feedback that the geo that used to be the Trek Fuel EX geo 3 years ago is not the same geo for the top Fuel. So a top fuel today is probably closer to my Fuel EX than a new Fuel EX that is closer to what a Remedy was back then.
    Last edited by Lionel; 02-03-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb,

Did you buy the bike yet? I have never regretted buying a new bike. MTB are fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Caleb,

Did you buy the bike yet? I have never regretted buying a new bike. MTB are fun.
    Not yet. We've got a couple feet of snow on the ground, and I'm focused on skiing the Birkie in a few weeks. Once skiing wraps up I'll likely pick one up. I still haven't found a good argument against buying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Not yet. We've got a couple feet of snow on the ground, and I'm focused on skiing the Birkie in a few weeks. Once skiing wraps up I'll likely pick one up. I still haven't found a good argument against buying it.
    If you want the bike, there is no such good argument.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems respectable for the price, Iím assuming you have a relationship with a trek dealer to decide on this bike?

For me, the big drawbacks would be the brakes and the fork. Those 200 series shimano brakes are fine for hybrids, but a 33 pound full suspension bike, they make a lot less sense. The fork is probably going to feel better than what you have now, but itís not a good performing fork.

If youíre dealing with the trek product line and can spring the upgrade, I think the next step up for another $7-800 would be a better buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    Seems respectable for the price, I’m assuming you have a relationship with a trek dealer to decide on this bike?

For me, the big drawbacks would be the brakes and the fork. Those 200 series shimano brakes are fine for hybrids, but a 33 pound full suspension bike, they make a lot less sense. The fork is probably going to feel better than what you have now, but it’s not a good performing fork.

If you’re dealing with the trek product line and can spring the upgrade, I think the next step up for another $7-800 would be a better buy.
    That's how you end up with the top of the line custom build :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems respectable for the price, Iím assuming you have a relationship with a trek dealer to decide on this bike?

For me, the big drawbacks would be the brakes and the fork. Those 200 series shimano brakes are fine for hybrids, but a 33 pound full suspension bike, they make a lot less sense. The fork is probably going to feel better than what you have now, but itís not a good performing fork.

If youíre dealing with the trek product line and can spring the upgrade, I think the next step up for another $7-800 would be a better buy.
    Counterpoint. Todayís bikes are better than ever so buy the base model and upgrade the brakes in 6-12 months if you feel the need to. If heís coming off old tech the difference between his old bike and the base model fork on this is vastly wider than the difference between this base model fork and the next level up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, or better yet, try to negotiate with the dealer to cut a few bucks off the price to sell without brakes, and buy a set of XTs off Jenson or somewhere. The "custom build MTB" thing can be a money pit ...
    Last edited by zambenini; 02-04-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    The "custom build MTB" thing can be a money pit ...
    No kidding !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems respectable for the price, I’m assuming you have a relationship with a trek dealer to decide on this bike?

For me, the big drawbacks would be the brakes and the fork. Those 200 series shimano brakes are fine for hybrids, but a 33 pound full suspension bike, they make a lot less sense. The fork is probably going to feel better than what you have now, but it’s not a good performing fork.

If you’re dealing with the trek product line and can spring the upgrade, I think the next step up for another $7-800 would be a better buy.
    I have no special love for our local Trek dealership chain. I expect the chances of demoing the bike before buying are nil. I look at this as a package store cash-and-carry type of deal.

Maybe the brakes and fork will eventually get replaced. I'm okay with that - it's a cheap bike. For a $700-800 premium (33%+) I could buy the base model, buy a fancy pants Fox fork, and a set of XT brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two main MTBs are a mid 90s hardtailish Slingshot and a "not even current" 2013 Ibis Ripley - that Trek will feel like a rocket ship. I pretty much alternate rides on the two and "full out attack" on my slingshot is extended pinky, sipping tea while riding one handed speed on the modern bike.

That Trek will rock your world. Keep the old MTB around though - they are great for rides with kids, newbies, or to make an "easy" trail a little bit less so. Also to remind you how fast and efficient your new bike is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve got this same bike, except mine is an EX7 (I think). Hereís me talking you out of it: Iím now on my second frame. The first frame cracked at the seat tube/top tube intersection. It was replaced under warranty with a new frame so no complaints there.

On the first frame, I was riding and having problems shifting up front (2x). Look down and the main pivot hardware is gone.

Had the new frame for a month or two and the pivot cover thing went missing. Thought the local LBS would need to order one, but they had it in their spare parts box. Donít know if thatís a good sign. Iíve heard, but not seen, that people run zip ties thru the pivots so that when they start falling apart the pieces donít get lost. Seriously.

Must admit it rides nice though! Check those pivots and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Buzz Killington That's not a good look. What year was the frame with which you've been having issues?

And, I will admit, I am perhaps being a little cavalier about the maintenance issues with FS. Like the electrical system on a Land Rover, it's awesome when taking care of it is some else's responsibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I *like* being cavalier about maintenance. My 5 year old Superfly has a new fork and has had every bearing replaced at least once, minus the front hub and the headset. I ride that thing all the time, and hard (being close to 190 doesn't help). The outlier has been the rear shock which has been completely maintenance free, and will probably implode tomorrow now that I said this.

Point being, I haven't done a single one of these replacements myself. I suppose I could, but I like my shop, they treat me right, and I'm happy to drive 5 min and pay somebody to do it. If that wasn't the case I'd probably re-think things. So basically, much like a chainsaw, I bought the shop, not the thing.

Anyway, just get the damn thing. You'll love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    @Buzz Killington That's not a good look. What year was the frame with which you've been having issues?

And, I will admit, I am perhaps being a little cavalier about the maintenance issues with FS. Like the electrical system on a Land Rover, it's awesome when taking care of it is some else's responsibility.
    it was a 2017 Fuel EX8 (not EX7). that's the one that cracked and the one where I also lost the main pivot. The warranty frame is a 2020 frame with the knock-block thing. That one I lost one of the threaded pivot covers on. Moral of the story is check the pivots and blue Loctite is your friend. My last bike was a Giant Trance where I never had to touch the pivot assembly. if you're not sloppy with maintenance, I don't think you'll have any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A global pandemic put the kibosh on my new mountain bike plans this spring, at least long enough for Trek and all of my local-ish Trek dealers to sell through their stock of purple Fuel EX5s.

I spent some time this week on a carbon Santa Cruz Hightower.

Great bike in pretty much every way, but carbon does nothing for me in a mountain bike. Make mine metal.

The Ibis Ripmo AF has caught my eye. There are even still some around, and I like our local dealer: Ripmo AF - Ibis Cycles Inc.

147/160 seems like a ton of travel, but so far I'm digging these new school trail bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the Ripmo seems like a lot of travel to me as well, I have 2 buddies that ride the carbon Ripmo here in New England and love the shit out of it. The Ripmo AF might be the best value in a mtb evah.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast