Thread: Speed from bumps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed from bumps

Pump tracks are a great way to help develop your handling skills/technique with low probability of getting hurt and can make you more efficient on your dirt bike. Currently designing one for my family, they don’t require much room, have seen some pretty sweet landscaped back yard set ups that are so well groomed the Mrs. wont even know its there………wink, wink.
    Will post some pics of mine soon, please post some pics/vid if you have one or have seen any good tracks/plans/layouts.
    There is gun content at the end of video, Mark Weir does not seem like the mass murderer type, not defending him it’s cool with me if he likes hunting.

Steel Bamboo Aluminum Wood Titanium Magnesium ETC

(Pick your poison, ride it like a stuck pig!!!)

Alfred Salgado

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Speed from bumps

pump tracks are great, we have one at a trail head near some of the local trails that I love. Its a great way to get your ride going and to end it. The one I ride has a fair bit of elevation change in comparison to most I have seen, and it really adds a new complexity, don't be afraid to do the same. Look forward to seeing your progress on it. I'll find some photos tonight, its in the woods, so there wont be much that shows the overall track though.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I assume you have seen this: Lee Likes Bikes, but it might be helpfull to others, especially those who dont have dirtjump/trailbuilding skills.. I had given a copy a look a while ago and it seemed helpful, never owned one though.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

We have/had a pump track here in town, and it was fun, but it was in a bad spot. Not near a MTB trail, tucked back in the woods, you really had to know where it was to find it. It gets very little use and isn't maintained really. It's about to get demo'd to make way for a water treatment facility expansion. A few pics from the grand opening a few years back.

29ers suck on a pump track FYI.

Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, 29ers suck on pump tracks, but for some reason cyclocross bikes kick ass.
    Last edited by Nathanrtaylor; 02-20-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: ... on pump tracks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I feel just as fast as I did on my 26. If you get it, you get it. Definitely harder to learn on though.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I don't know, I feel just as fast as I did on my 26. If you get it, you get it. Definitely harder to learn on though.
    I think it depends on the track too. Ours was super tight, and definitely felt best on a BMX. I rode my 29er on it, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as the BMX or a 26" DJ bike.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I think it depends on the track too. Ours was super tight, and definitely felt best on a BMX. I rode my 29er on it, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as the BMX or a 26" DJ bike.
    Fair enough, I haven't ridden any that are truly tight, but I know they are out there.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, had a look good place to start. Not doing anything elaborate or specific to one kind of bike, working on fundementals with family the Mrs. wants a mini skillz area set up with logs she can ride over. We have a little bit of space to work with, my 3yr old loves digging more than riding at the moment so at the very least its a good energy managment program for now.

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Also, I assume you have seen this: Lee Likes Bikes, but it might be helpfull to others, especially those who dont have dirtjump/trailbuilding skills.. I had given a copy a look a while ago and it seemed helpful, never owned one though.
    Steel Bamboo Aluminum Wood Titanium Magnesium ETC

(Pick your poison, ride it like a stuck pig!!!)

Alfred Salgado