User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singlespeed destinations - compile the list!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Singlespeed destinations - compile the list!

Quote Originally Posted by tedbarbeau View Post
    I'd love to hear more from those in the Northeast. My wife and I are moving back to New England this spring; temporarily setting up shop in Western MA and then likely settling in the suburbs of Boston or Portland ME sometime in early 2019.

For those not familiar with New England, yes there are specific MTB destinations - areas established with MTBing in mind. However there are also thousands of miles of snow mobile trails a lot of which are 4 wheelers trail in the summer. Before there were any designated MTB areas, this is what we rode. They range from dirt roads to the classic muddy/rocky/rooty climbs/descent that NE is known for.

There is some great riding around Portland, ME. Much much less traffic than Boston and easy access to MTBing. And a very nice general cycling scene. Plenty of rides of all abilities.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I admire this train of thought the more I ride ss - however, I'm thinking of the higher mountain epic type rides in California, Colorado, BC, etc. - rides that are basically 4 hours of climbing, then 2 hours of descending, stuff with extended hike-a-bike, etc. School me on this, but it doesn't sound fun on ss and I'd definitely rather road trip to Tsali or if I'm flying out west scoot the bike over to something like Moab. Willing to entertain ... but I'm thinking of extensive spider webs of fun singletrack. Elevation is fine, but riding over the continental divide or some crap like that? Convince me...
    It's all about gearing. If you don't ride in the mtns on a regular basis, then when you head to the mtns, put a bigger cog on the back. I use a 32x19 (on a 29er) and for mountain races (like the Snake, with 34 miles and 5800ft of climbing) I use a 21T cog.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    There is some great riding around Portland, ME. Much much less traffic than Boston and easy access to MTBing. And a very nice general cycling scene. Plenty of rides of all abilities.
    Hey Brian,

The greater Portland area is on our short list of places to eventually end up. Do you live up that way?

I've read a bit about the trails in Falmouth (Blackstrap/Hadlock) and Pownal (Bradbury). Any other spots I should keep on my radar?

Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lived/rode in what is referred to as "the western foothills" of Maine between 1985 and 2010. This area is an hour north west of Portland. But I races all over and had plenty of cycling buddies in Portland.

It has been 10+ years sense I rode in either of those areas (jeeze, I am old).

Bradbury is a good place to ride with plenty to choose from. Don't be fulled by the name Bradbury Mountain...it is just a bigg-ish hill. While plenty of people from Portland ride Bradbury, it is a 30-40 min drive to get there.

There are other trails that are closer to downtown that connect to the some of the other trail networks. Generally I was riding with people that knew how to connect everything so I can't tell you how they all hook up.

The shops to know in Portland:
    Cyclemania - They used to have a super strong road team and organize some very hard weekly road rides. They have other group rides as well but they are known for their Saturday and Tuesday slam fest. While they have a bit of a road focus they are/were a great shop and will know all the places to go.

Gorham Bike & Ski - They are actually in Portland now (not Gorham). These guys will know where to go also.

I will mention Bath Cycle & Ski (home of Bikeman and Carver Bikes). They are ~30 minutes north of Portland and have a very long history with mountain bikes. While the Mt Tam guys were fooling around with "inventing" mountain bikes, places like Bath Cycle and and the Greasy Wheel in Putney, VT were doing the same thing. Anyway...these guys know all the trails in Portland as well. If you can see what the building looks like which should give an idea of their history.

My wife and I "moved south" and now reside in the Seacoast area of NH.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the only time/place I was sure I didn't have the tool for the job (singlespeed) was on enduro day during the Transylvania Epic, however I had a blast so maybe I did have the correct tool.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ted-
    There is outstanding SS riding in and around the Pioneer Valley. Earl's trails in the Holyoke Range were originally designed with this in mind. It is rock and rollercoaster riding, no suspension necessary. I've ridden with others equipped with gears and shocks without any disadvantage, when I am fit. There are 80 miles of trails in the Holyoke Range either side of the Notch. You won't be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Raystown Lake/ Allegripis Trails in Central PA would be an awesome SS destination. It's one long pump track perfect for SS.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I think Raystown Lake/ Allegripis Trails in Central PA would be an awesome SS destination. It's one long pump track perfect for SS.

-Joe
    can attest, it is fun.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post

-Joe
    Allegripis and FATS are very similar I believe.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh... Western Mass....
    Why set up shop and then leave? Just stay. Plenty of fun to be had ;).