User Tag List

Thread: Shorts, Pants, Chamois

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shorts, Pants, Chamois

The whole "work from home, don't go outside" situation has me rummaging through my riding apparel in between phone conferences. I need to update some items used in the woods, either for mountain biking or overnight bike camping trips. Assos bibs don't quite cut it when pushing through bushes or when nature calls. Throwing shorts atop the bibs makes it pretty warm down below.

What are people running on their lower halves in the woods, on the trails? Interested in shorts and pants suggestions. There's a lot of product out there, interested in hearing what has worked for the salonistas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shorts, Pants, Chamois

I use the previous season's team bibs. Since I don't do that many racing or events where I need to be wearing full team kit any more, the lycra is usually still in good shape and the chamois isn't packed out yet. Summers here in BC aren't particularly hot, so combined with a lightweight trail short, this has been fine.

If you're overheating with the double short combo, consider a liner bib that's mostly mesh like this one from Pearl Izumi or 7Mesh.

I'm seriously tempted to get the 7Mesh one because I love the chamois on their "regular" bibs and I just got my tax refund.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just stick to Lycra. I use thick SAS bibs in fall and winter. They hold up real well. and just accept the damage in summer to older sets of hot weather bibs. I don't like layers and I doubt I would dig baggies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless Iím riding an xc race bike I stopped wearing a chamois off-road a few years ago.
    Modern trailbike riding positions are so upright, and dropper posts get the seat far enough out of the way for descending that a pair of boxxer shorts is all I need.
    And pants, I need pants. I have a pile of Fox branded mtb pants that are super comfy, Indicator(retails for about $70) and Flex-Air are my go to models.
    Nice slim cut, when I wear them on an olde-fashioned bike with a front deraileur the tapered leg does a great job of keeping the material away from the antiquated bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha used to have merino boxer shorts with mesh side panels and a thin chamois. Pairing them with their Touring Shorts works well for me. Unfortunately, I don't believe they have either of them any more.

In case the padded boxer shorts resurface, the advice I got at the time was to size down. I usually wear a medium but got small and found their advice to be spot on.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear bibs with a lighter weight MTB short over them, mostly because all I own is bibs and to fit in with the norms of the NICA crowd I ride MTB with. I especially like the Assos Trail shorts (TRAIL Cargo Shorts) which are moderately form fitting as I'm not a fan of the full baggy flopping around of material when I am on and off the saddle in the woods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Rapha stopped producing the merino shorts with the thin pad. Shame.

Patagonia had a liner short that was mostly mesh--it came with a warning that you'd be embarrassed if you don't wear overshorts. Looks like those are discontinued, too. The 7Mesh Foundation looks pretty similar and it's offered both as a bib and regular short, May give it a try,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 7Mesh shorts look like a candidate although I don't get why they need to be so long in the legs. And a bit pricey.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple pairs of the non-ultralight bibs like these and like them:
    Men's Ultralight Liner Bib Shorts with SWAT™ | Specialized.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not used these but have seen/held them in person. Nicely made. Very light weight.

Velocio Men's TRAIL Mesh Bib Liner | Mountain Bike Gear
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a couple pairs of Sugoi mesh bib liners that look similar to those Velocios. The best feature is a group of loops on the back of the hips, the overshorts attach to these with snaps. Since my backside is a flat and featureless landscape, that the only way the shorts can stay up. The multiple loops allow you to adjust how high the shorts ride. The overshorts have boa adjusters for the waist which is a little weird.

The other ones I like are Fox Livewire Fuze, which have the nylon overshorts sewed to the mesh bibs around the waist. These are very light, and the legs fit close enough to wear them on the road. But I've found the fit to be quite variable, I have three pair and they're marked the same but fit wildly different.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I take it most folks are running bibs (versus just padded shorts) under their over shorts....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I live in AZ so if I'm wearing shorts, I wear padded shorts because it is likely hot. With the low humidity, I typically wear a plain tshirt as my jersey. If it's really hot, like 100+, I wear a road kit. The MTB stuff is stylish, but not very cool.
    Weight Doper