User Tag List

Thread: ShockWiz - Testing a new toy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ShockWiz - Testing a new toy

Might not be of interest to this gang but....

LBS / Team Sponsor is a good friend. He had gotten a ShockWiz in to check out and other than a short test ride hadn't found time to play with it. At a recent visit he handed me the green box and said: "Go check this out for a few weeks and let me know if it's useful".

He knows I like gizmos and data and am a perfect test subject as I know just enough about what the knobs on my fork do to get myself in big trouble and very far away from "dialed".

Bike is a Pivot 5.5 with the Fox Factory 36 FIT4 front and whatever the standard Fox rear is. So far I've only played with the fork. Set up was a ten minute process using a couple zip ties and the Wiz app on an iPhone. Easy peasy.

Some data to date:

First few rides I did around my home. About 90 minutes in 4-5 sessions. Have some rock walls to jump off of, rocks and roots in the woods and some ups and downs on a neighbors farm. I also set up some log hops and such to get extra fork bumps. Using the factory settings plus a good sag was remarkably close to what the ShockWiz suggests. A small air adjustment and it was all green with one exception - Wiz recommended changing the spring rate with addition of a volume spacer. I don't have any 36 spacers on hand so haven't tried that yet.

** NOTE: Good excuse to buy the Abbey chamferless socket. If nothing else comes of this ShockWiz experiment at least I will have a shiny green tool on the bench!!!

With the fork happily dialed in my yard then took the bike out for a two hour ride at a favorite trail system and pushed the bike hard. Surprise - yard testing does not equal hard trail riding. Wiz now recommending a significant air change and some compression adjustments. Also still wants an air volume adjustment.

With two hours of hard riding trail data split into several sessions, the Wiz recommendations are very consistent. While it remains to be seen if once dialed the bike is "better" and if I can tell a difference, at least the device isn't all over the map on suggestions.

Next step is to get the air pressure dialed and then will play with the slow speed compression. After that will try the volume spacer change and then move onto the rear shock.

If nothing else, having the toy has given me reason to learn more about the suspension, how adjustments alter the bike and in general upping my knowledge game on the F/S bike. Prior to this set of experiments pretty much set sag, adjusted to factory suggestions on rebound and compression and went riding.

Provided for VS entertainment purposes only... Since I can't ride the trails but a couple times each week this is going to be a month or so process. Once dialed I'll take it to some other terrain and see what happens.

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ShockWiz - Testing a new toy

Noticed this thread wasn't getting too much love, so I thought I would tell you how much I enjoyed the write-up.

If you post more like this in the future, I will definitely give them a read.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread needs pics.

So this ShockWiz is supposed to help you find your ideal suspension settings?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danica - Thanks

Dustin - Yes, exactly. Connect the ShockWiz to the air side or the fork or the air can of the shock. Then do a quick set up routine where the Wiz gets calibrated to your fork or rear shocks travel parameters. Then you go ride. Based on how the air side of the fork is behaving the app then makes suggestions on how to improve the various settings of: air pressure, air spring ramp (controlled by tokens (RockShox) or volume spacers (FOX)), high speed and low speed rebound, and high and low speed compression. Not all forks have adjustability, or easy adjustability, of all of those parameters.

The idea is that shock / suspension tuning is a mystery to many riders. I know most of my buddies do a SAG and set the factory suggested limits for other adjustments and are afraid to touch the suspension after that other than to check the air pressure every month or two. I'm slightly more advanced in that I'm not afraid to mess with the knobs and try stuff, but am very far from expert.

My interest in playing with the Wiz was to learn more about how my suspension works and see if following the suggested adjustments would be useful and/or noticeable. And when the shop fellow says "go try this new toy" then what the heck.

Will see about uploading the screen shots and some set up pics as I get more data. Million dollar question is if it will have a positive impact on my bike and riding it or is it just noise. Probably a couple weeks to sort that out and a month or more to really know. I'll have to optimize based on Wiz then try the prior settings and see if my skill level is enough to tell a difference.

SRAM / Quarq has a bunch of short video's on this gizmo and there are some user video's on You Tube. I think it makes better reading then VLOGing though.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would really be curious if following all their recommendations helps your ride. Are you going to put some spacers in your fork?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ShockWiz seems more useful than the TyreWiz. Be interesting to see how it goes and what you learn.

Will you find that you have different fork/shock setups for different terrain?
    How variable does the terrain need to be to require the adjustments for optimum performance?
    How noticeable is the ride post-tune?

Sounds like you're an ideal tester for it. Will a casual user find it easy/quick enough to gather data to use (aka would a one-week rental from a shop be long enough)?

Local shop frequently asks for input on what should that add to their offerings so I'm quite interested to see how it goes and if you find it worthwhile.

Great write-up.

Suspect I'd quickly find that I need to remove a volume spacer from my fork. Inertia has kept me from opening up the fork to find out what it came with from the factory ; )
    I'll set sag, adjust rebound and compression but that's usually it. Rebound will get tweaked and psi a bit. Given my size and stock factory tunes, sus tuming could be a good thing to improve getting the most out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are about as mtn bike nerdy as you get and did a nice segment on the shockwiz last year -

ShockWiz - The Path Podcast | Mountain Bike Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne,

As usual you are spot on. Expect to end up with different tune suggestions for different terrain. Which makes sense to my brain. Already keep a card with tire pressure and suspension setting data on it with my tool roll and shock pump. So not an issue to add/subtract a couple pounds or a couple clicks.

Volume spacers are only slightly harder to mess with but certainly not something to change every ride. Once I get some more data and settle into a tune for my favorite trail system will ride that setup for a couple weeks (meaning 2-3 rides) and then will add a spacer and see if I can tell a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's where i get lost with that thing. You have to choose 1 of 4 ideal ride characteristics for a suggested tune. Efficient, balanced, playful, or aggressive. I want some of all of that.

You're probably better off consulting your suspension owners manual, starting at the factory settings, and doing repeats on sections of trail, increasing/decreasing clicks until you get the performance you're looking for.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    LBS / Team Sponsor is a good friend. He had gotten a ShockWiz in to check out and other than a short test ride hadn't found time to play with it. At a recent visit he handed me the green box and said: "Go check this out for a few weeks and let me know if it's useful".

He knows I like gizmos and data and am a perfect test subject as I know just enough about what the knobs on my fork do to get myself in big trouble and very far away from "dialed".
    The LBS here got one. I'm interested in what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick Update - Wiz suggestions are consistent for adding volume spacers to the fork. Will be trying that and if weather cooperates getting out this weekend on some rough rocky, root trails with some small jumps to see how it goes. I get what it's going for and will see if I can feel it in my hands and butt when we get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had one at the shop for a year and I haven't really messed with it at all. This has sparked my interest and will be checking into it later. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volume spacer installed, air pressure adjusted with a fresh sag around 25%, and ridden on my favorite local trail system for a couple hours.

Session #1 was an hour of data and gave all greens on the suggestion report.

Session #2 was 30 min and all green with except of a suggestion of slightly more high speed compression (which is not a user adjustment on this fork).

My riding impressions were (1) slightly more plush on the small hits and (2) definitely ramps up a bit more steeply on the bigger hits. On this set of trails there are only some small features so will need mo bigger hits / jumps to see if I can really tell.

Could be random chance, but PR'd a Strava segment used to test myself and one I've ridden many, many times. Roughly a 10 min effort and took 15 seconds off the prior best.

Heading into a week of on and off rain so not likely to get out again soon. Fairly certain the fork is in a good spot and time to go ride it rather than fiddle with it. Will get on to testing the rear shock.

Take homes:

1) Very easy to use
    2) Spurred me to try some adjustments and learn more about the fork and suspension
    3) Without the Wiz unlikely I'd have changed the volume spacers or made slow speed compression changes
    4) Can definitely feel improvement over starting set up
    5) It is a bit trail dependent so you don't get a "one set up slays all" result. But with a bit of note taking can get good settings for different types of trails and how hard you plan to attack them. Depending on your perspective that is a great thing or a distraction. YMMV as they say.

I could absolutely see owning one of these or splitting cost amongst a few friends.

Back to finish the story after having a chance to test the rear shock and see what where that leads.

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mark, the LBS that has one is the same LBS that I wan to buy a new bike from so maybe I'll get to play with it. I especially like point #1 .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Thanks Mark, the LBS that has one is the same LBS that I wan to buy a new bike from so maybe I'll get to play with it. I especially like point #1 .
    See if you can get them to throw in a week or two rental. Don't they want you to be really happy with your new ride?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiz experimentation with the fork (FOX 36 Factory 2018) has come to completion. Rode a couple hours on more rugged terrain yesterday and good news is the settings from the prior session held up. All green. Am now done with the fork and time to play with the rear shock.

Synopsis:

* Initial settings using shop set-up, manufacturer sag recommendations and a bit of tweaking on rebound and slow compression were pretty good. So if you are new and don't know what to do simply following directions and RTFM is a good start (surprise).

* Wiz driven adjustments included:

(1) Addition of one air volume spacer. This definitely changed the way the fork behaves on bigger hits.
    (2) Addition of 4-5 clicks of slow speed compression. This was also noticeable in feel and an improvement.
    (3) Lower air pressure. From 53 down to 48 PSI (rider weight 145 pounds fully loaded). This makes a difference on small bumps.

* Learning - The biggest bonus was taking time to fiddle and learning more about how the suspension bits work.

To my butt, the bike was good with manufacture suggested settings and a proper sag, but now it's better. Yesterday's ride was rocky and roots with some bigger hits. The bike just felt smoother. Not in an in your face, black and white difference, but about a half hour into the ride found myself thinking: "Gosh, this feels really good on the roots and techy bits today".

Conclusion: If you have a lot of experience dialing suspension, and know what you want from the bike, then this is not the way to spend $400. But if you are early in the learning curve around suspension tweaking, as I am, and enjoy tech and data this is definitely a useful little gizmo.

Recommendation: For me this was definitely best to use this thing over many different rides and collect many different sessions over different terrains and effort levels. I probably did 25-30 different "sessions" over the last several weeks. As I learned more and adjusted more things fell into place. Had I just gone out for one day, and collected just a few sessions would not have been as useful. It'll be interesting to improve skills for a year then throw the Wiz back on and see if anything changes based on style.

Back later with the rear shock story.

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@MarkC thanks for the summary on how this worked out. AT the very least it's got me to order a socket so I can remove a volume spacer or two from my fork. ShockWiz might be a future rent based on how you find the rear tuning to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. Great report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Shock - Ride #1

Fox rear shock on the 5.5 (factory tune on a FOX Float DPS)

Initial set-up:

* Medium setting on the 3-position lever (Blue lever)
    * Middle (2) setting on the slow compression / open mode selector (Black 3-position selector)
    * 10 clicks of rebound from fully closed (Red)
    * 25% SAG with 120 PSI

Rear data was no where near as entertaining as the front fork sessions. After 90 minutes of riding on rocks and roots and some small drops, WIZ reported all good and only asked for a touch more slow speed compression. Kinda bummed as I wanted an excuse to open it up and add volume spacers. Or something. I've been running the shock in the middle setting to have some platform as we go up and down and I don't want to be reaching for the lever. But reading about rear set-ups suggest trying to tune for fully open. Since I have the Wiz for a bit longer, and most of this is about experimenting and learning, will throw the blue lever fully open next time and give that a go.