User Tag List

Thread: Send it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Send it?

A couple of years ago I started on a path to get better pumping by spending time at local pump tracks. At that time I keep telling myself “I’m learning pump not jump; you’re too old (51 at that time) to be be learning to jump.”.

After some clinics, coaching and time on the track, roll the tape forward and my pump technique is pretty solid. I’ve also realized if I really want to progress my MTB skills it’s time to really learn how to jump. To really understand the timing of the pop off the ramp, control in the air, and landing in a variety of terrain. Ryan Leech’s courses on Bunny Hopping, Manuals and Jumping have been really helpful, but the breakthrough for me was recent jumping clinic with Ninja Mountain Bike Performance. Nothing like in-person coaching. Besides all the good technique and drills, a key take away was the idea of some mini ramps to use to groove the skills. Last weekend I put these together and am getting to the work of grooving the skills!

IMG_2904.jpg

Anyone else on a mid-life journey to jump??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Send it?

I've been thinking about something like this a lot lately. I'm 51 and a pretty good XC rider but I've always been ground-bound. I'm in a knee brace this summer after quadriceps tendon surgery and I'd really like to rebuild my mountain bike fit and technique around a more dynamic model. Those little ramps are cool. I like the difference between launcher and lander.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Those little ramps are cool. I like the difference between launcher and lander.
    We had a set like these at the clinic. Basically a short'ish kicker and a matching landing ramp. That kicker is about 16" at the lip with ~8' radius transition.

Prior to these ramps, I had been working on learning the basics of jumping on line of tables at 9th Street that is mild in comparison to the rest of what is there; Slacker. It's easy to roll everything, but after using the ramps at the clinic, I realized the number of tables in the line and the size of their takeoff didn't really promote learning. In an afternoon on a set of ramps like the above, I learned more than several months of rolling those tables at 9th.

I getting more consistent at popping off the takeoff now and landing about 1/2 down the ramp when spaced at one wheelbase. Lots of practice needs to be done in order for me to be 100% on the timing of the pop, but I think my goal of two bike lengths with this height ramp is doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9th street! That's the place my lyft driver took me past the last time I was in Austin. I had no idea what it was, but I hit my forehead on the window while straining to look at it.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast