Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sealant Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sealant Thread

Let's talk sealants. Stan's has been the go to, but there are others. CafeLatex (which I think everyone just about universally despises) and now Orange. Let's use this thread for sealant updates and info.

I'd been wondering about Orange, but after reading this article, I'm put off with having to supposedly check it every 15 days.

Tubeless Tire Sealant Tech, Part 1 ‚Äď How Often Should It Be Checked & Replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sealant Thread

conti revo makes me happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had success with FRM's sealant as a flat prevention and reparation method on tubulars with latex tubes. I initially bought it for a ghetto MTB tubeless conversion but it didn't work so well with my setup and without a compressor. I don't know who makes them but it says made in germany.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother recently made his own. It works. We re-did mine with his stuff just last week before the 12 Hrs of Santos. I had no issues. I will see if I can't get him to chime in with his recipe. The stuff really works and it was lots less expensive and it made a pretty big batch. It is also not supposed to coagulate like Stan's tends to after awhile. Just have a growler handy so you can store the excess.

Like I said, I will get him to chime in. He is NFazzio here on the VS.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After using Stan's and Velofuze for a couple of years, I am now using Orange Seal. It seems to seal bigger holes better, but the biggest benefit for me was that the carrier solution doesn't seem to leak out the sidewall of my MTB tires. With the Stans and Velofuze, I always had wet sidewalls on my Pacenti Neo-Moto rear tire and the sealant would dry up in less than a month. Orange Seal doesn't leave me with wet sidewalls and doesn't dry out as fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    My brother recently made his own. It works. We re-did mine with his stuff just last week before the 12 Hrs of Santos. I had no issues. I will see if I can't get him to chime in with his recipe. The stuff really works and it was lots less expensive and it made a pretty big batch. It is also not supposed to coagulate like Stan's tends to after awhile. Just have a growler handy so you can store the excess.

Nick dropped some off here too and it's quite nice. He should bottle it and call it NixFlatTires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made my own a while back as well. I got the recipe off MTBR. If I remember correctly, it was:

1 part latex mold builder
    1 part glycol (antifreeze)
    1 part Slime (automotive grade)
    2 parts water
    And I added some purple glitter, because pretty.

The Good:
    It works like a charm. I tested it in the garage and poked a few holes in tire, starting with a push-pin, then a finishing nail, then a larger nail, then I put a deck screw through the tire. It sealed all the holes just fine, and the tire has seen lots of mileage since the testing. It made a big batch, so I gave most of it away, no one had a flat with it.

The Bad:
    The big claim to this stuff is that it lasts a year without drying up. FALSE. Mine lasted ~4 months, about the same as Stans.

Stanís is the gold standard IMO. It works and is readily available.

CaffeLatex didnít work for me at all. Took forever to seal up tiny sidewall pin holes in brand new tires (lousy Kendas....), and when I got a puncture on a ride it didnít seal. Just spewed everywhere. When I got home I put Stans in the tire, sealed it right up. No more CaffeLatex for me, it's just too thin.

Iíve got a sample of Orange Seal, but havenít had a chance to put it in a tire (I got it right after topping all my tires off with fresh StansÖdoh!). One of the other Singletracks writers did a review and he really liked it. What I donít like about it is itís more expensive than Stanís and youíre supposed to use more of it too. But, if it lasts longerÖ.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin - We will report back on the longevity of my brothers mix. Formula he used is very similar to yours, maybe even the same one.

I been having issues with Stan's honestly. Doesn't last, turns into these globs of latexey goop and even small holes weren't sealing. It seems to be the standard but I am glad I have another option...thanks to my bro.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the how to online somewhere. Dump it in a old growler and shake it up. Sealed up my new tires just as good as the store bought stuff. Plus you have enough to go around for awhile. Held off on the glitter, to messy.
    1 part latex mold builder 16oz
    1 part slime tire sealant (not tube sealant) 16oz
    2 parts rv antifreeze (non toxic) 32oz. Use the mold builder container to measure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin - We will report back on the longevity of my brothers mix. Formula he used is very similar to yours, maybe even the same one.

I been having issues with Stan's honestly. Doesn't last, turns into these globs of latexey goop and even small holes weren't sealing. It seems to be the standard but I am glad I have another option...thanks to my bro.
    Stupid question, but did you thoroughly shake it before install? I feel like there's some sort of micro filler included that settles out.

So, interestingly, my brother owns a tile and marble installation co. One of the additives to the mastik is a latex filler. Stans always seemed very similar to me. Same milkiness and the same consistency.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody else continue to ride sealed up tires long after you can't hear any sloshing anymore?

At least for local trail rides I tend to refresh sealant (only ever used Stan's) sometime between when there's none left and when I finally remember to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I shake it up before use. The let's is the glue, the slime sealant that you mix in had I'll add or check the sealant every few weeks. Big ride I'll add some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been making my own for a couple years and using various recipes. My last one was a combination of mold builder (latex), windshield washer fluid, and clear glitter. Worked (works?) like a charm. This version is very "stans like" in color and consistency.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stans: I've used it a bunch. I love to hate it. The moment I find something better I'll be done with the stuff and on to greener pastures.

CaffeLatex: I love the theory that it foams up and covers the entirety of the casing/rim. Too bad it sucks ass and was never able to fully seal up a set of tires.

Conti Revo: I've heard good things, on the list of things to try next season.

Homebrew: I've been looking into it more to find something that will be happy well below zero for fatbikin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every plant out here has a thorn on the end, from a cactus needle you could do acupuncture with, to a mesquite thorn you could use as nail if you needed to. Sealant is absolutely necessary out here.

I've used Stans for several years with good results, can usually get 6 months or so between fills.

I just mounted up a new set of tires with Orange Seal prior to a weekend of riding in the desert with no flats. I'm interested to see how it lasts.

Worth noting that because of the rocky terrain we have, I only use actual tubeless tires with the heavier sidewalls. Standard sidewalls won't cut it out here. (well, they'll get cut out here)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanrtaylor View Post
    Does anybody else continue to ride sealed up tires long after you can't hear any sloshing anymore?

At least for local trail rides I tend to refresh sealant (only ever used Stan's) sometime between when there's none left and when I finally remember to do it.
    Pretty much my SOP unless I have a big event coming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Wilco View Post
    I've been making my own for a couple years and using various recipes. My last one was a combination of mold builder (latex), windshield washer fluid, and clear glitter. Worked (works?) like a charm. This version is very "stans like" in color and consistency.
    Dude...post a recipe.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Stupid question, but did you thoroughly shake it before install? I feel like there's some sort of micro filler included that settles out...
    I thought that if you shake the caffe latex, it explodes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanrtaylor View Post

I'm the same way up here in NE. No thorns to puncture tires, so if the dried sealant holds air, I'm fine.

IIRC, somewhere on MTBr someone found the actual Stan's recipe so you can make homebrew Stan's now. The grainy bits in the fluid are pieces of cornmeal, fyi.
    www.ablocwheelworks.com/
    As hard as you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb View Post
    Every plant out here has a thorn on the end, from a cactus needle you could do acupuncture with, to a mesquite thorn you could use as nail if you needed to. Sealant is absolutely necessary out here
    In the desert here as well - current fave is 50/50 Stans/green Slime
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast