Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sealant Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sealant Thread

Steve, are you talking the normal green slime or the slime tubeless sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Orange Seal for the second half of last season and liked it a lot. I think it sealed up better than Stans. Lasted me from June-Nov. Took the tire off in Nov and was still looking good.
    I'll be back using Orange Seal this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody have experience with the Bontrager stuff? I've got a bottle sitting here, going to give tubeless road a try this season. Skeptical as I am about it I feel it's time to give it a fair shake. Have never felt the hassle of doing it off road was worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    Anybody have experience with the Bontrager stuff? I've got a bottle sitting here, going to give tubeless road a try this season. Skeptical as I am about it I feel it's time to give it a fair shake. Have never felt the hassle of doing it off road was worthwhile.
    I don't want to derail this thread, but between the two, I think it's much more valuable for off road. And I'm currently running all my tires tubeless with the exception of a set of tubulars on my Bora's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=abbeyQ;583330]Anybody have experience with the Bontrager stuff? I've got a bottle sitting here, going to give tubeless road a try this season. Skeptical as I am about it I feel it's time to give it a fair shake. Have never felt the hassle of doing it off road was worthwhile.[/QUOTE

Yes, for mountain. The Bontrager stuff seems to be changing quickly, there are already a couple of generations of it. In my opinion the latest batch seems a bit thin if that makes sense. Bontrager's tires are rated as tubeless ready or not. Yesterday as an experiment I tried to take one of my non tubeless tires tubeless using the bontrager valves and rim strip. (It's February, and a grim one at that.) I failed to get it to seat perfectly after a bunch of trying which came as little surprise. As it seeped through the rim/tire interface it did not bubble or have as much viscosity as I would have liked. Thus my inarticulate description as kind of thin.

For now I am reserving judgement on the sealant. The rim strips, though, are excellent and I really like the valve design.

My default is the Orange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Dude...post a recipe.

Last time I used molder builder, windshield washer fluid, and glitter. Mix equal parts of washer fluid and mold builder (latex) and then add the glitter. You may need to add a little extra washer fluid to get it to a really fluid texture. I usually play it by ear when making this stuff. IME, just about anything mixed with latex will seal up tubeless tires and small punctures. I like to add the glitter to give something solid to help fill in the hole(s).
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread, but between the two, I think it's much more valuable for off road. And I'm currently running all my tires tubeless with the exception of a set of tubulars on my Bora's.
    No experience on road. Have tried it off road. Didn't seem to do as good a job as Stan's. I got some on a pair of gloves helping another rider with a flat, and the gloves are still sticky with it years and washings later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=ride217;583346]
    Yes, for mountain. The Bontrager stuff seems to be changing quickly, there are already a couple of generations of it. In my opinion the latest batch seems a bit thin if that makes sense. Bontrager's tires are rated as tubeless ready or not. Yesterday as an experiment I tried to take one of my non tubeless tires tubeless using the bontrager valves and rim strip. (It's February, and a grim one at that.) I failed to get it to seat perfectly after a bunch of trying which came as little surprise. As it seeped through the rim/tire interface it did not bubble or have as much viscosity as I would have liked. Thus my inarticulate description as kind of thin.

For now I am reserving judgement on the sealant. The rim strips, though, are excellent and I really like the valve design.

My default is the Orange.
    Do you think they intentionally changed the formula or did it just get old and change consistency? I could see where it could either settle out and be hard to shake back into solution or evaporate. I've got a set of TLR road tires from Bontrager that I'm looking to setup on SL-23 Pacenti rims. Figure it should work well enough as I can get the tires to hold pressure for 10 hours or so without any sealant.

I don't have any desire to run tubeless on my 29'er. More trouble than it's worth to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think they intentionally changed the formula or did it just get old and change consistency? I could see where it could either settle out and be hard to shake back into solution or evaporate. I've got a set of TLR road tires from Bontrager that I'm looking to setup on SL-23 Pacenti rims. Figure it should work well enough as I can get the tires to hold pressure for 10 hours or so without any sealant.

I don't have any desire to run tubeless on my 29'er. More trouble than it's worth to me.
    They definitely changed the formula intentionally. The newest iteration is cream/whitish in color. The sealant I used was brand new. Their sealant is designed for both road and mountain with the primary difference being the amount used. They recommend 2 oz for mountain and just one for road. I'm always curious about various road tubeless setups so I hope that you have both great luck and post up your findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanrtaylor View Post
    Does anybody else continue to ride sealed up tires long after you can't hear any sloshing anymore?

At least for local trail rides I tend to refresh sealant (only ever used Stan's) sometime between when there's none left and when I finally remember to do it.
    I use sealant only if the tire requires it to maintain pressure. Many tubeless ready tires work just fine on UST compatible rims without every using sealant, and some hold air great without liquid sealant after the casing has sealed.

A proper tubeless tire/rim setup is airtight at the bead without sealant.

I hate the mess of sealant, rarely have flats from punctures of any kind, and change tires often.

When I do use sealant, GEAX Pit Stop and Slime Pro have worked very well. Seal well, do not clump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just mounted some Ritchey shield wsc tubeless ready tires. They pumped up fine but the sidewalls had a couple pin holes that the sealant took care of. I'm running stans rim strips on some standard dt mountain rims. No issues with the bead leaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always wondered whether the sealants leave a thin coat of rubberized material on the inside of the tire.

When the sealants dry out, are all the material evaporated and escape the inside of the tire, or do the small particulates coat the inside and adds to the thickness of the tire? Anyone has weighed their tires to see if there's weight gain from the deposits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
    I have always wondered whether the sealants leave a thin coat of rubberized material on the inside of the tire.

When the sealants dry out, are all the material evaporated and escape the inside of the tire, or do the small particulates coat the inside and adds to the thickness of the tire? Anyone has weighed their tires to see if there's weight gain from the deposits?
    Tubeless Tire Sealant Tech, Part 1 – How Often Should It Be Checked & Replaced?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I should have clicked on all the links first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Has anyone used the Panaracer stuff?

Sitting here, thinking of the next tire swap and wondering if I should give this stuff a try. I'm currently an Orange Seal customer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12