Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Rigid 29ers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rigid 29ers

Does she like riding or is what you are into? Meaning does she want to be better? What kind of riding will it be for? 100% mountain biking? I'm asking because I find the "modern" geo bikes so much easier to handle. (I love mountain biking but kinda suck). If you are trying to get her to like trail riding more I would worry about how the bike handles more than the wheel size. If your parts box is deep enough a newer frame might be a good alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Does she like riding or is what you are into? Meaning does she want to be better? What kind of riding will it be for? 100% mountain biking? I'm asking because I find the "modern" geo bikes so much easier to handle. (I love mountain biking but kinda suck). If you are trying to get her to like trail riding more I would worry about how the bike handles more than the wheel size. If your parts box is deep enough a newer frame might be a good alternative.
    She enjoys riding, but isn't super serious about it. We do a family singletrack ride 1-2x per month and she noodles around the neighborhood and might ride herself to work or to camp with it throughout the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is 5'2' and her first bike was a 29er. She likes it. The roll over ability is great. A person 5'8 shouldn't have a problem with 29" wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    She enjoys riding, but isn't super serious about it. We do a family singletrack ride 1-2x per month and she noodles around the neighborhood and might ride herself to work or to camp with it throughout the summer.
    Work in the summer at 13? She deserves a new Evil Following!

But yeah, I don't think the wheel size will be a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    My daughter is 5'8" (she'll be 13 in may) and looking pretty awkward on her late 90s Stumpy M2. This thing is on craigslist for $600 and it seems like the guy is really eager to make a deal:

Attachment 111686
    Thoughts from the peanut gallery? She's not an aggressive or super confident rider, so I'm a little concerned that going from 26 to 29er wheels will be a big learning curve for her -
    the wheels wont be an issue - but the rigid fork might be. why put a new rider on something that pounds them. we all know suspension can make up for lack of skills. but it can also make riding much more comfortable and more fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed re suspension... Depending on the trails. Rigid bikes are liiii-iiight. That might make a big difference to a little Grom over suspension if their locals are smooth and flowy. Remember a 25 pound bike might be a third of someone's weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Agreed re suspension... Depending on the trails. Rigid bikes are liiii-iiight. That might make a big difference to a little Grom over suspension if their locals are smooth and flowy. Remember a 25 pound bike might be a third of someone's weight.
    I agree with this. Unless you can find something with a light fork (I got an old Sid from a friend for my kid), a suspension fork drives up the weight. if you are riding relatively easy trails, I'd think about a fat set of tires (tubeless if you can). having a 29er is nice as the slower pace of the little ones really makes things harder on a 26er.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rigid or FS.

Hardtails are just half-assed solutions with bad weight balance and transfer. I actually think rigid bikes are better for new riders as it gives them more information on the grip or lack of thereof from the tires and forces them to ride more cleanly.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    I agree with this. Unless you can find something with a light fork (I got an old Sid from a friend for my kid), a suspension fork drives up the weight. if you are riding relatively easy trails, I'd think about a fat set of tires (tubeless if you can). having a 29er is nice as the slower pace of the little ones really makes things harder on a 26er.
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a rigid bike for this application unless of course their trails are gnarly. OP is in Chicago, no? I know nothing about that riding, but I bet not steep. Fat tires rule. Rigids can usually get big rubber in the front. If I had to choose, I would pick my dropper over my Fox fork. Might as well get the little one dropping the saddle now, despite the terrain. Better to stay out of the saddle for as much as you can, rocks, roots, etc..
    Last edited by zambenini; 04-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are in SE Michigan. Nothing too extreme trail-wise. She enjoys the trails enough, but is not a daredevil and isn't catching air or doing anything crazy on the downhills. I have a full suspension FSR 29er that she could try, but with 130mm front and rear travel that's WAY more bike than she needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops, i thought it was rec head. have fun! cant wait to get out with my big guy some day.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567