Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rigid 29ers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rigid 29ers

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I think I would rock a carbon fork too although the HT has to marry with the fork. I'm not sure what CF rigid forks look best with steel tubes for I presume most are tapered right?

Geo wise can the builder achieve the same with a CF fork? yes when you build to that spec right? Or is there a further advantage with a steel fork built to sit in one place?
    The MRP (formerly White Brothers) fork looks good IMO. Alloy steerer/crown/dropouts w/carbon legs.

An Ritchey makes an all-carbon 1-1/8" fork that's nice too. I've got both actually.

Nice thing about the MRP is the various configurations it comes in. W/a QR axle & straight steerer there's three lengths to choose from (445, 465, and 490mm), w/a tapered steerer there's two lengths (465 & 490mm) with a 15mm thru-axle. So you could do a 'non-suspension corrected' build w/one of the shorter forks.

White Brothers / MRP on my bike. The Ritchey has the same look. I don't remember what length mine is...it's ~9yrs old. The frame bike was designed around either an 80 or 100mm suspension fork.

EDIT:
    The Ritchey is 29" only, QR only, straight or tapered steerer. At least that's what QBP has available. 470mm ATC.

Last edited by dgaddis; 2 Days Ago at 09:46 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Also, IME, QR or TA = makes essentially no difference in feel with rigid forks. HUGE difference w/ suspension, but rigid...eh. I wrote this for Singletracks a while back :: Rigid Fork Shootout: QR Open Dropout VS Thru-Axle - Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Last one.

I do not have the Ritchey, I've got a Syncros. I'd bet money it's the same fork as the Ritchey other than decals.

Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Also, IME, QR or TA = makes essentially no difference in feel with rigid forks. HUGE difference w/ suspension, but rigid...eh.
    The only thing I'd argue with about QR rigid carbon forks, i.e. carbon forks which have carbon fork tips is that disc brakes tend to pull the front wheel towards the disc side because the carbon face of the dropout is a bit on the slippery side. TA's just help to keep the wheel put under heavy braking. I also prefer TA's myself front and rear as it's easy to tighten the wheel without over tightening the QR and the "keys" on the inside of the dropout faces help guide the wheel right into place.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

This whip gives me hot sweats, but I can't stand a 44mm HT with this fork. If it were my bike I would have to go 1 1/8" HT or a carbon rigid that would marry better aesthetically.

Something I was thinking about today, throwing this out there, would it be crazy to build a custom 29er w V-brakes in 2018? Are there powerful options for mtb? Would the weight / maintenance advantages be worth it?
    This one isn't brand new - it's about 5 years old - but v-brakes and non-suspension corrected 29er was the design brief. Exactly what I wanted.

sycip.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Something I was thinking about today, throwing this out there, would it be crazy to build a custom 29er w V-brakes in 2018? Are there powerful options for mtb? Would the weight / maintenance advantages be worth it?
    This guy did:

Post Thanks / Like

Something I was thinking about today, throwing this out there, would it be crazy to build a custom 29er w V-brakes in 2018? Are there powerful options for mtb? Would the weight/maintenance advantages be worth it?
    Paul Motolite's are some of the only mountain V-Brakes I can recall that are still made? Pair them with a set of his levers. My only gripe about the Paul levers is the lack of a return spring at the lever in addition to the brake. No matter what I do, I always get a bit of cable play where the lever won't return all the way because of housing drag. (Probably best when run without full housing...)

IMO: V-Brakes were powerful for their time, but disc brakes are far superior in power, modulation, maintenance and insert just about any other note here. I recall routinely trimming brake pads, having to sand them, the mess they'd make in mud/wet conditions, sawing through rims every 2 seasons... They're a piece of mountain bike history I enjoy remembering but am quite stoked on the disc brakes of today. They have definitely made my ride just that much better. I'll own that!
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

I second what Kris says, plus, grinding through your rims is much more of a hassle given how hard it is to get decent quality rim brake rims now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I second what Kris says, plus, grinding through your rims is much more of a hassle given how hard it is to get decent quality rim brake rims now.
    This again. Name one good modern rim brake MTB rim. Something wide and reasonably light. You can forget carbon, obviously.

I can and do happily ride without suspension or gears, but two things I refuse to give up on a MTB are clipless pedals and disc brakes.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

....snip....

two things I refuse to give up on a MTB are clipless pedals and disc brakes.
    Disc brakes and tubes here.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    Disc brakes and tubes here.
    Make that three things I won't give up - clipless, discs, and tubeless!
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

err yes, tubeless.

on all the bikes.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

disc brakes, tubeless and that dropper. I can live with suspension but everytime some steep dh are involved the dropper makes it much more natural and safe.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great bike- and that number plate is Aces ATMO

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Well, as long as we're posting pictures...wish I still had this one...

SPP
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like

Last one.

I do not have the Ritchey, I've got a Syncros. I'd bet money it's the same fork as the Ritchey other than decals.

Dang, since my old WB magic 80 crapped out I've been looking for a cheap suspension replacement, but seeing how these look I may just go back to rigid. The ritchey/MRP/Carver style would suit my taste better than the niner types. I should know this, but what a-c for a 29er would be equiv to 80-100mm susp designed frame?