Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revel Ranger incoming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Revel Ranger incoming!

After attempting to go down the Pinion rabbit hole, I just couldn't get there without a demo ride...i think the slop in the gearbox would be a real detriment for technical climbing which is my favorite part of riding

So my shop is getting me a Revel Ranger

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/ranger/

My bikes have gotten progressively bigger so it'll be interesting to see what a 120/115 bike is like again...I'm sure after a few rides I won't notice and it should be much lighter with a sid ultimate fork...and after breaking my had last summer I am officially done hucking

Transfering the AXS drivetrain from my Ripley, but adding some bling with eeWings cranks and Hope brakes

Like everything is bikeland it is backordered so hopefully in my grubby paws by early May

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Revel Ranger incoming!

Funnily I looked at it a few months ago but was a bit put down by the seat tube angle. Great if it works for you.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Funnily I looked at it a few months ago but was a bit put down by the seat tube angle. Great if it works for you.
    it is 0.6* difference from my ripley...i definitely won't notice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ranger is a good looking bike. On my mental shortlist for a day when I might be shopping full suspension options.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    The Ranger is a good looking bike. On my mental shortlist for a day when I might be shopping full suspension options.
    i will let you know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    My bikes have gotten progressively bigger so it'll be interesting to see what a 120/115 bike is like again...I'm sure after a few rides I won't notice and it should be much lighter with a sid ultimate fork
    Just went down a similar road. Previous bike choices were long travel or hardtail, neither was really ideal for local riding. Kept having to pick between heavy and sluggish or a rigid beat down that didn't make me want to ride more than 2 hours.

Got a 120-120 modern bike like the Ranger this winter and haven't really had it on dirt yet because of ice, but what little I've ridden it has been super fun. Short stem slackish front end plus travel you can really push into to get some spring is really really fun. And fast. Feels like it jumps ahead when you push on it. And it has easily handled the one 2 foot drop I took it off no problem. It's a pretty ideal every day bike travel length, and so nice not to have XC head angles and stem lengths any more on that style of bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full ride report needed!

I have been a Yeti fanboy for years, but if I was buying a bike today I think it would be a Revel!

Congrats on the new sled. I hope you don’t live near Austin.......new bike day always seems to bring rain.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I considered this rig last year when I looking at downcountry options. It was down to the Ranger, Spur, and the Epic EVO. Ended up with the Epic EVO but I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. The Ranger is going to be a great ride.

Regarding the shorter travel, I love having the option. It's close to the capability of my Trek Remedy, but SO much better for long days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I considered this rig last year when I looking at downcountry options. It was down to the Ranger, Spur, and the Epic EVO. Ended up with the Epic EVO but I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. The Ranger is going to be a great ride.

Regarding the shorter travel, I love having the option. It's close to the capability of my Trek Remedy, but SO much better for long days.
    please tell me about riding in bentonville!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please tell me about riding in bentonville!!
    Bentonville, and NW Arkansas, is indeed what it's cracked-up to be. XC, flow, DH. It's all there. Not as much elevation as out West, obviously, but most people are totally blown away. And, things are just getting started. About 1.5 miles of trail built each week. Some of the best trail designers/builders in the country working there, like Progressive Trail Design, Rock Solid, and Gravity Logic. And more coming. Plus there are great restaurants and museums in the area too.

If you haven't visited, it's worth the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was just in the shop and picked up a sid ultimate...wow...super beefy but super light

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was just in the shop and picked up a sid ultimate...wow...super beefy but super light
    That fork has really surprised me. Especially considering how much they slimmed down the damper. Riders much better than me in the area are really pushing that fork in places where normally they would have a much longer travel fork.

One thing to keep an eye on is the little adjuster tool that snaps in to place in the lower. I've had one that would not stay in place at all. I never lost in on the trail but that's a miracle. SRAM replaced it under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    If you haven't visited, it's worth the time.
    Seconded. From Saint Louis it's a 4-5 hour drive. Group of friends (from here and from Austin, funny enough) have been meeting up there yearly now for a couple years. Always a good time. Easy enough for me to get away for a three day weekend, way more than you can ride in a couple days or even a week, and every time I go you turn a corner and there's a whole new trail that didn't exist 6 months prior. Nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So everything is on order:

Revel Ranger XL frame in black w/RockShox SID Lux Ultimate RockShox SID Ultimate fork in black
    Enve M6 bars and stem (from my Ripley)
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes in orange
    Galfer centerlock rotors
    SRAM AXS Eagle shifter/derailleur (from my Ripley) but upgraded with CeramicSpeed cage and pulleys
    eeWings cranks
    XTR race pedals
    AXS dropper w/Ergon saddle (from my Ripley)
    Ibis S35 rims laced to orange Onyx hubs (from my Ripley)
    Hans Dampf 2.6F / Nobby Nic 2.6R with tan sidewalls
    Lizard Skins DSP grips
    Arundel Sideloader cage

Hopefully there aren't any parts waiting to get through the Suez...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ranger is great, especially for what I ride in NC. I wanted something more conservative than the latest geo trends and this fits the bill well. Poppy, playful, efficient, good all day bike.

Yeah, the seat angle is slack and especially so if you're tall and have a lot of exposed post (I'm on an XL and there are very few available posts will work at my saddle height). However, I don't notice it and it plays well with the rest of the geo.

FWIW, I had issues with the first frame I received and Revel was quick to get me a replacement. I only have one ride on the replacement but it's been perfect so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'd like the relatively relaxed seat angle. I tend to go for at least a few hours at a time with lots of pedaling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my oh my how quickly things have changed...funny that this is considered "relaxed"

as noted it is 0.6* slacker than my ripley...i can compensate by scooting up a couple of mm on my saddle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my oh my how quickly things have changed...funny that this is considered "relaxed"

as noted it is 0.6* slacker than my ripley...i can compensate by scooting up a couple of mm on my saddle
    "Effective" seat tube angle is .6 deg slacker. Move away from the exact point in space and that number changes.

At my saddle height, the Ranger "Virtual" seat tube angle is 73.5. Almost 2 degrees slacker than the listed "effective". My saddle when slammed all the way with a 213mm dropper is right at the effective height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sporkedtospec View Post
    "Effective" seat tube angle is .6 deg slacker. Move away from the exact point in space and that number changes.

At my saddle height, the Ranger "Virtual" seat tube angle is 73.5. Almost 2 degrees slacker than the listed "effective". My saddle when slammed all the way with a 213mm dropper is right at the effective height.
    dude...i dont carry a protractor when i ride...i just ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

parts starting to show up...frame is in transit...eewings are way backordered

[IMG]2021-04-23_11-01-09 by W L, on Flickr[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast