Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reliable, light, reasonably priced MTB hubs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Reliable, light, reasonably priced MTB hubs

somehow Boyd Tripel hubs have gone below my radar for a few years. fine-tooth ratchet ring with 6 triple-tooth pawls for 3.5 degrees of engagement. $175 for the rear and $100 for the front. boost and non-boost available.

how are these so darn cheap compared to similar hubs? long-term reviews?

on another note, my Hadley still skips enough that it drives me nuts. I don't want to send my hub back to Hadley AGAIN. anyone dealt with this and find the gremlin that causes it?
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    somehow Boyd Tripel hubs have gone below my radar for a few years. fine-tooth ratchet ring with 6 triple-tooth pawls for 3.5 degrees of engagement. $175 for the rear and $100 for the front. boost and non-boost available.

on another note, my Hadley still skips enough that it drives me nuts. I don't want to send my hub back to Hadley AGAIN. anyone dealt with this and find the gremlin that causes it?
    What happens when it skips? I have one that will just kind of pop from time to time. Doesn't make much of a revolution, just a quick pop? I've got the kit to rebuild it and need to do that. It has a fair number of miles on it, and other than the popping it has been trouble free.
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb View Post
    What happens when it skips?
    It's not so much that it causes the drivetrain to jump, because that's imperceptible on my bike. when the hub was brand new, it skipped and popped constantly, several times during each ride. I could feel the freehub lurch forward. Hadley sent me a new freehub and pawls after just a few rides and I sent the first one back. same problem. So I unlaced my wheel and sent the hub back to them (they would not pay for return shipping and it was going to cost me a ton more to ship the whole wheel) and they sent me a new hub. the new hub didn't skip for the first few rides and then it started again. it does it rarely, but like Chinese water torture, I know it's going to come and the anticipation is maddening. those bearings now have a few hundred miles on them and they still spin smoothly. I know it's not the drivetrain because this bike has been set up singlespeed most of the time, experimenting with a few different chains, two different frames, and a handful of rings and cogs. the common denominator is always the Hadley hub.

I'm just pretty annoyed that a not-cheap hub that everyone claims is amazing does this. no hub should randomly skip and making irksome noises, especially in this price range. If someone has a magic bullet of a fix, I'd be willing to keep this hub on my bike. otherwise, I might sell an organ so I can afford an Onyx product.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, since we've drifted from reasonably priced, just get Kings. I'm a known fanboi but IMO they just tick all the boxes without being too shi-shi and they work for a bloody long time. POE is not extreme, but really head and shoulders above the next competitors down the chain - DT, Hope, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Life's too short for that kind of nonsense. I'd get rid of that Hadley tout suite. I've had great luck with the Bontrager hubs that use the DT patent mechanism, but I haven't sampled anything with more points of engagement. My fat bike's DT because I scatter other freehubs like confetti on that big fella.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopes !!!!

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Hopes !!!!

- Garro.
    Hopes have been a total no-brainer for me. I don't think about my hubs. Let Garro the wheels with some kind of offset spoke bed.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    some kind of offset spoke bed.
    WTB ASYM's IIRC

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTB ASYM's IIRC

- Garro.
    No issues with 2 wheelsets with Hopes to WTB Asyms Garro built for me. Double butted, brass nipples. Set and forget.
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WTB ASYM's IIRC

- Garro.
    WTB I-29 asymmetrical. 2.5" tire. Tires seated with a floor pump.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once tried to buy Hope hubs from Chain Reaction but they cancelled the order multiple times before they finally let me know that they didn't mean to ship any to the US and it was a glitch that they were still allowed in my cart as a US customer.

Been tempted... but how do y'all feel about their points of engagement, i.e. does it feel like a big dead spot before they engage? Their singlespeed hub has 4 degrees of movement before engaging which I would guess would feel great, but their regular ones have a whopping 8. My Kings have by my math 5 degrees before engaging and that feels good to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

We just released these last year, so they could only have missed your radar for about a year now. Ha ha.
    There's starting to be a bit more long terms reviews, and I'm happy to help with any questions.
    www.boydcycling.com - The Handcrafted Revolution

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    they didn't mean to ship any to the US
    For at least the last few years I have been getting them from their NA distributer in Bend, OR = they almost always have my odd requests in cool colors, even.

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The newest MTB hubs I currently have are ~20 years old. Back then there were plenty of choices but nothing was actually better than plain vanilla (or should I say grey) XTR Shimano hubs. Indestructible, rebuildable, built up easy into a full wheel, quiet (I like quiet), fairly light, etc, etc.

Has this changed?
    I see XT and XTR hubs going for a song compared to the Kings/Hopes/etc.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bontrager Rhythm Elite is a damn fine factory wheelset. Available as take-offs from compulsive upgraders.

Hubs are DT 240 so you can easily swap end caps to match the myriad axle and through-axle combos available. You can even swap out the star ratchet ring if you want quicker engagement. And they are durable as, well, you know.

Rims are offset drilled, 28-mm wide. Mine are the older aluminum, not sure if the newer units have carbon rims.

I did have an issue with coaxing a rear rim back into true, but once I realized that the aluminum nipples had a hex head on the inside I stopped rounding off the flats. Well I use the hex to back out the aluminum nipple and replace it with brass, because I think aluminum nipples on a rear wheel are silly.

I have two sets, and dig 'em. Also, the molded tubeless rim strip holds a bead like nobody's business. Takes a boatload of psi to get a Windexed bead to pop in place.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 03-02-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

[I]Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Has this changed?
    I see XT and XTR hubs going for a song compared to the Kings/Hopes/etc.
    Shimano hubs are all still some of the best quality you can buy for any money, but they suffer these days on MTBs from the fact that you’re stuck with whatever freehub body you’re stuck with: either “old” 10s Shimano HG, or new 12s-Shimano-only MS. Likewise for axle dimensions. This isn’t to say I’m surprised Shimano doesn’t offer XD and Boost upgrades, but no modularity sucks. Centrelock rocks: ask any mechanic anywhere.

At this point I only own DT. For MTBs, the universality of their freehubs and axles/end caps can’t be beat. 240s want Chris King money, but 350s are quite reasonable, and plenty durable. Depending on OE spec you’ll have to spend a bit more to upgrade the ratchet, but it’s money you’ll only spend once.

Hopes are good, and almost equally supported. The bearings are pawl-based freehub are inferior to DT, but not hugely. If you’re into colours they’re superior to everything but Kings.

I9 are garbage - wonky sized, ultra-low quality bearings, and fragile freehub pawls with microscopic, poorly-retained springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After moving the New England I think i want more poe for slow techs climbing here that wasnít an issue in the pnw. My hardtail has a king and so far so good but it is draggy and hard to service. My fs has stock formula hubs and a dent in the rear rim so itís ripe for upgrade and I am debating king vs onyx. I will likely keep the stock front wheel and do rear only to save some cash. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    After moving the New England I think i want more poe for slow techs climbing here that wasn’t an issue in the pnw. My hardtail has a king and so far so good but it is draggy and hard to service. My fs has stock formula hubs and a dent in the rear rim so it’s ripe for upgrade and I am debating king vs onyx. I will likely keep the stock front wheel and do rear only to save some cash. Thoughts?
    onyx FTW...perfect for climbing east coast tech...instant engagement really helps

new vespers arent as heavy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like White Industries hubs for the balance of durable/beautiful/affordable.
    Great customer service, available in center lock and made in USA.
    They check all the requirements.
    I do own DT 240 and 350 wheelsets, but they’re just not as sexy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK gurus: what about hub axle designs?

I see a lot of hubs with axles that have press-in end caps that seem to rely partially on axle/dropout pressure to keep everything together. the axle ends somewhere inside the hub and the caps stick out to make contact with the frame/fork dropouts. if the axle happens to come loose or the movement of these caps is enough, that seems to be room for the axle to flex, maybe even break.

end caps.jpg
    I don't know whose end caps these are, but they are an example.

other hubs use and axle that goes all the way through the hub. This seems like a stronger design, but is also subject to needing preload adjusting nuts and such. that's not necessarily a bad thing, but can be problematic for the average idiot like myself.

Any reason you would reject one design over another?

other designs have
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast