User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Press fit BB replacement options for E*thirteen XCX+ in an older Ibis Ripley

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Press fit BB replacement options for E*thirteen XCX+ in an older Ibis Ripley

Hey guys, I have an older Ibis Ripley which requires a press fit BB cup (BB92) and I've been running a E*thirteen XCX+ crank and their proprietary bottom bracket, (this https://bythehive.com/products/press...ottom-brackets). I like the cranks fine, stiff and light enough for my needs (I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs riding an XL frame) but last season I started getting creaking and it appears my bearings are shot. A little research leads me to believe that that this is a very common problem, many people hate this BB. I don't have enough experience with press fit BBs to know if I can work around this issue to get some standard and better quality bottom bracket or bearings (are there other 30 mm axle pressed into 41mm cups 92mm wide) or if I should dump the whole proprietary system and save for a XTR crankset and BB. Will any PF BB that say it is for a 30mm axle and 92mm wide shell work (like this Race Face BB92 3mm Bottom Bracket
    | Jenson USA
    or this BB92 TO BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET KIT or this Wheels Manufacturing Outboard BB86/92
    | Jenson USA
    ) or is there something proprietary about the ethirteen cranks? If any of the above can work, can anyone recommend one that will last a while without squeaking?

Sorry to ask what may be such a dumb question, but any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Press fit BB replacement options for E*thirteen XCX+ in an older Ibis Ripley

As long at the spindle on the e13 crank measures out to be 30mm in diameter, I don't see why using another bottom bracket manufacturer should be a problem. The only fine tuning you might need to do is fiddling with spacers?

Another good option worth a look is Enduro. Well worth the price of entry. I have a pair of their bottom brackets that are still going strong after 3 seasons and lots of miles.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Press fit BB replacement options for E*thirteen XCX+ in an older Ibis Ripley

I just realized that the third one I linked to, the Wheels Manufacturing BB, is not for a 30mm axle so disregard that one. Yeah, I may try that Enduro kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1 on Enduro. I went with Kris's recommendation and whenever I service the bike those bearings are fine, fine, fine.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my only tip would be something that threads together with a solid tool interface will piss you off less over the long run

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I can almost guarantee your creaking is coming from the Ripley rear end. Replace the bearings and cores and clevis bushings with some regularity, and you can expect silence - but don’t expect Ibis to help with “warranty.” Properly installed pressfits are actually usually fine, despite what internet mechanics will lead you to believe. Find a good LBS and get it done right (which varies with every BB and application).

Those two-row Enduro BBs are slightly better, but only slightly, than the Raceface cast-iron marbles. The reality is there just isn’t enough space for bearings in a BB92 shell with a 30 mm crank spindle. (And I refuse to believe that “DUB” solves the problem.)

In your particular case, there’s another thing to be wary of: the faces on the Enduro BBs are flush, with no recess for a seal. So Enduro includes a toy rubber cap that kind of covers the bearing. But the spindle on your E13 cranks, on the two or three Ripleys on which I tried to solve this problem, is just slightly too short to include even those crappy seals. So you’re looking at relying on just the microscopic cartridge seals to keep out water and dust, which is a big ask for any bearing, let alone an Enduro (which despite their reputation are pretty much universally garbage, compared to bearings from real manufacturers). I don’t remember exactly, but I don’t think I could even include the preload adjustment on the E13 spindle, leaving me having to manually adjust the spacing (which is OK, really, but slow on the install, and you need a broad selection of thin spacers).

I hate to say it, but I would seriously consider you just pony up for a GXP (acceptable) or Shimano (best) crankset and BB. The BBs are cheap and excellent, and installed properly will be silent. And you don’t need a super goofy tool to change chainrings (but you do need a super goofy chainring...). I wouldn’t even necessarily say you need XTR: XT aren’t light, but they come in 180 mm lengths, and are pretty close to what I would call cheap. Finally, a 24 mm spindle will completely obviate the headaches your BB shell has given the rest of the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and yes ibis creak

check out the yoke for the shock, as that can cause issue as well.