Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Potential new wheel build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Potential new wheel build

Recently bought a Salsa Cutthroat and was going to have some wheels built to upgrade originals.This will probably be my last higher end custom build.I'm considering carbon ut the price makes me cringe.My question is not whether I should buy them but what do you all prefer and how your ride quality changed /maintenance etc.when you switched over.
    I will include most of my riding is central PA mountain fire roads which at times can get a little chunky.
    Thanks.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Potential new wheel build

I have absolutely zero complaints about Derby rims. I have four sets of them on personal bikes, they've taken a beating and show the scratches but they're still true and I haven't had any problems. I didn't have any issues with Enve either (if you don't count corroded nipples), but I loathe the internal nipples and Derby's are a fraction of the price.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a dumb question...I'm assuming carbon wheels stay true longer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In theory they are stronger and should deal with all the forces of riding better. I ride a SS hardtail, so I don't do the most extreme terrain, but I do like to ride the terrain that I ride hard. When I switched, the main benefit I felt like I got was the traction I got out of my tires from the rim width, and its accompanying stiffness. So while the wheels didn't feel like they were riding the bike for me, in chunky moments and in crucial traction situations they feel awesome. It's hard to imagine aluminum wheels delivering a wide rim profile that remains stiff and keeps the weight down. My carbon wheels weigh similarly to the same build with al rims, but they are 7-8 mm wider and presumably stiffer.

I got cheap chinese rims from ebay (nextie_. Viewed tons of feedback from here and across the hall before I went for it. 6-8 months in they're doiing great. They amounted to 2x the price of my wtb aluminum rims, so it didn't feel like a big risk to try them out. If I crack one, I'll say "lesson learned" and order the next price point up the totem pole, but still a cheaper rim like woven, derby, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltland View Post
    This may be a dumb question...I'm assuming carbon wheels stay true longer?
    Wheels go out of true for two reasons:
    1 - the most common - the spoke tension issues - tension drops on some spokes, and therefor they are no longer holding the rim centered. This drop can be caused by poor build quality (uneven tension), or by damage (flat spotting the rim, or damaging a spoke - tho damaging a spoke generally raises tension on that spoke, not reduces it).
    2 - rim is actually bent laterally. This is pretty rare, and easy to diagnose. If the rim is off towards the right side - if the spokes in that spot on the right side are loose(r) than their neighbors on the same side then the rim is bent. If the spokes on the left side are loose, it's a spoke tension issue, not a bent rim.

Carbon rims are susceptible to #1 - going out of true due to spoke tension issues. But if they're well build, that won't be a problem (sort of damaging a spoke while riding, like catching a stick in the wheel). You won't flat spot a carbon rim, because:

Carbon are not susceptible to #2 - 'cause carbon rims don't get bent like an alloy rim might, they'll crack and break instead. But it takes a big hit to kill one, and IME they can take much harder hits before failure than an alloy rim can.

I built a LOT of Nox rims, and some Derbys, but way more Nox. Never had a Derby crack. Only two cracked Nox rims, one replaced under warranty (it sure looked like impact damage, but the owner said he didn't hit anything), one a crash replacement - that rim was cracked at that Megavlanch enduro in France. Rider didn't notice it (it went all the way across the spoke bed!) until he got back home (in the States) and unpacked the bike. It stayed together and held air for his run.

I'd recommend either brand. I personally prefer Nox 'cause they tend to be a bit lighter, have the offset spoke bed, and are still plenty durable for all but the roughest of folks.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few builders have quantified the difference carbon can make to build stiffer and more evenly tensioned wheels.

Jerry @ Next Cycling posts some of his builds on Instagram... NEXT Cycling, LLC on Instagram: “Tension within 3%, round within 1/1th of a millimeter total run out. That's pretty hard to do on a shallow, ultra light carbon rim…”

If you're going for a long-term wheelset, I'd look at the builders and brands that have lifetime defect/crash replacement policies.

FWIW, I've been happy with Enve M50 and G23 wheels, both built with DT Swiss hubs and purchased when the specific models were closed out for a fair price...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP isn't this the 3rd thread you've started on carbon rims or wheels in the past couple days? I think that you are in the internet research rabbit hole and looking to get the best bang for your buck. I have been down that hole too many times. But lets keep is to these threads. Unless the Mods want to merge them.

Carbon rims are good especially for disc wheels. Pretty much every one that rides them likes them. Some people that ride them love them. They tend to be stronger and lighter than aluminum. I think it is safe to say that the mid priced brands like Nox and Derby do good work. I think it is also safe to say that the budget brands have many satisfied customers as well.

They are all only as good as the builder. Low or uneven tension = a bad wheel no matter what.

You know all this. Time to take a deep breath and step back for a couple weeks and enjoy what you have or spend some money on some rad new wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    They are all only as good as the builder. Low or uneven tension = a bad wheel no matter what.

You know all this. Time to take a deep breath and step back for a couple weeks and enjoy what you have or spend some money on some rad new wheels.
    And this wraps it up!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"