Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Pick a single speed because:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pick a single speed because:

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do you singlespeeder ride to the trail ?

I'm hesitating converting my MTB to flat pedal rigid singlespeed for the next two months. With the snow up in the mountains I'd most probably stick to the lower altitudes but that doesn't mean it will be flat. I'll just avoid the long dragging climbs and ride more short punchy ones.

I'm more concerned about the 3 to 10km road/gravel ride to the trail potentially feeling long and boring with too short a gear.
    I don't ride to the trail. Road riding does kinda suck on a SS. Not so much by yourself (if you have the right attitude that you'll get there when you get there) but it's tough riding with geared riders.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

No practical experience yet but it’s 3 miles from where I work to MTB trails so I might hazard the three flat/boring miles in order not to get in a car at lunch. Will update if it royally sucks. But I imagine it’s a battle of the will. How much spun out riding can you mentally take?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do you singlespeeder ride to the trail ?

I'm hesitating converting my MTB to flat pedal rigid singlespeed for the next two months. With the snow up in the mountains I'd most probably stick to the lower altitudes but that doesn't mean it will be flat. I'll just avoid the long dragging climbs and ride more short punchy ones.

I'm more concerned about the 3 to 10km road/gravel ride to the trail potentially feeling long and boring with too short a gear.
    You can always set it up Dinglespeed. Highway gear and trail gear. Simple and easy. Mine was on a fat bike, but I had it set up 30x18 and 26x22.

Post Thanks / Like

most of the riding i do involved riding less than 1/2 mile to the trails that connect to my neighborhood. I have ridden over five miles to get to another trail head with a 29er 32/20 gear. it's not as fast as it would be if had a taller gear, but I would not be able to ride trails in a gear much bigger than that. it's a tradeoff and it's not a big deal for a few miles. if I wanted to go on a long urban ride or commute to work on that bike, that would be a different story.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall