Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Pick a single speed because:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pick a single speed because:

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    So you have 3 s/sp bikes?
    Yeah. The SSCX is new and hasn't been ridden much. It's *supposed* to take the place of the Langster, but I haven't sold the Langster, so I keep riding it.

The SS 29er *could* be for sale. Its been 'fixed' cause the PO's son cracked the TT doing something stupid. It was done by a guy that does good work, so I'll keep riding it until such time as I get tired of it, or it breaks again.

I'm finishing up a rigid, geared Superfly AL now. Should be the best (or worst) of both worlds: gears + rigid. I couldn't stand the Miami Vice green of the Superfly SS, so I didn't buy one, but that bike's probably the most versatile bike: the swappable dropouts mean you can ride it SS or geared. Swap out forks and you have rigid or squishy. etc etc etc

Next year's Crockett looks like it'll have the same style dropouts...

M

Post Thanks / Like

OK, i think I've finally resolved to bite the bullet & set the Cielo up SS with a little Christmas scratch. Planning to run a Surly spacer kit + sourcing an extra 2mm spacer to account for it being an 11speed hub. Likely will get a wolftooth cog, maybe even the stainless one if I feel confident I'm picking the right number of teeth as it will be more durable and I'll be stuck with it longer. Likely run 34x20.

Anything I'm missing? Shouldn't need a chain tensioner as it's got rocker dropouts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    OK, i think I've finally resolved to bite the bullet & set the Cielo up SS with a little Christmas scratch. Planning to run a Surly spacer kit + sourcing an extra 2mm spacer to account for it being an 11speed hub. Likely will get a wolftooth cog, maybe even the stainless one if I feel confident I'm picking the right number of teeth as it will be more durable and I'll be stuck with it longer. Likely run 34x20.

Anything I'm missing? Shouldn't need a chain tensioner as it's got rocker dropouts.
    Update: I see a number of cogs such as Wolftooth and Absolute Black say their singlespeed cogs work with any chain, but are optimized for 9,10, or 11 speed chains. So I don't need a singlespeed specific chain? I had thought that was a non-starter.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need a single speed specific chain. Many will argue that modern 10 and 11 speed chains that have been designed in the last 10 years are stronger than many of the older (from a design perspective) single speed specific chains.

Post Thanks / Like

As fate would have it I have a GOLD kmc x10 laying around. Holla.

Post Thanks / Like

I always used a 9 speed since that was what was on my geared bike, meaning I had the correct quick link spare stuff etc in my carry on as well as parts bin.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used SRAM 8sp - because it's cheap and durable. It's the only SRAM chain I use, though.
    Adam Holt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    You don't need a single speed specific chain. Many will argue that modern 10 and 11 speed chains that have been designed in the last 10 years are stronger than many of the older (from a design perspective) single speed specific chains.
    I’m among them. Chains have never been better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    As fate would have it I have a GOLD kmc x10 laying around. Holla.
    Case closed.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to hearing what you think. I recently lent mine to a friend, he's an older guy, never ridden a SS, usually rides a 2x10 geared hardtail, and my bike is a frame size too big, SS, and rigid. He LOVED it. Even set some PRs are a trail he rides a few times every week.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a high bar, Dustin. I am a young guy who rides 1x with a bike that fits decently well. If I suck at it I guess I’ll have to reevaluate my life.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's necessarily better or worse, it's just a different experience. I happen to like it, most people that try it do too, even if they don't expect to. That said, I'm happy to have both a rigid SS and a geared HT in the garage to pick from. I pick the SS the vast majority of the time, but I'm always glad the wimpy bike is there when I want/need it!

I've probably posted this link before, but if not here's an article I wrote a while back for Singletracks. The SS did have a suspension fork on it at the time :: One is Enough: Why You Should Give Singlespeed Mountain Biking a Chance - Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Oh, and FYI, of those 5 riders, three went own to get a SS of their own.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 3 Days Ago at 10:05 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me a question of strength and terrain. I've found that I've always gravitated toward terrain that's a little too vertical intensive, and/or my strength is not quite there. But around here the fastest riders are on single speeds. So can others quantify their terrain?

Here's a typical ride, 8 miles with 1000 feet of vertical, ridden at 5.6 mph average:

Two were on single speeds, two with gears, one dog. No way I'd enjoy this ride without low gears. Plenty of short pitches with double-digit grades. What do your rides look like?
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a finer view:

The climb gains 125 feet in a half mile, and there are bumps that typically gain or lose 20 feet.

Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily better or worse, it's just a different experience.
    Oh I don’t doubt it will be fun. I am just steeling myself up to find out just how weak my legs are.
    Last edited by zambenini; 3 Days Ago at 11:34 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    It seems to me a question of strength and terrain. I've found that I've always gravitated toward terrain that's a little too vertical intensive, and/or my strength is not quite there. But around here the fastest riders are on single speeds. So can others quantify their terrain?

Here's a typical ride, 8 miles with 1000 feet of vertical, ridden at 5.6 mph average:

Two were on single speeds, two with gears, one dog. No way I'd enjoy this ride without low gears. Plenty of short pitches with double-digit grades. What do your rides look like?
    1000ft of climbing in 8 miles = 125ft/mile

That's a lot. IMO once you're hitting 100ft/mile that qualifies as a decent at amount of climbing.

MY EXPERIENCE :: The hillier the ride, the more climbing involved, the faster I am on my SS vs my geared bike. IF I've got the legs to stay on the bike and ride the climbs.

Going downhill - not a big difference in geared vs SS for me. The terrain limits speed more than how fast I can pedal.

Fast Flats - I'm faster on the geared bike, because you run out of gears on the SS

Going uphill - If I've got the legs to stay on the SS, I'm faster on my SS - because you have to be! You're either riding (faster than you would if you could wimp out with gears) or you're off and walking (probably slower than if you were riding a geared bike).

Some examples:
    This summer I got to do some local MTB races. At Arrowhead (~100ft per mile) I had a great ride and finish. At the Thomson trails (60ft/mile) I was slow, didn't do that great, just couldn't turn the pedals fast enough. I used the same gearing at both races.

At the Snake Creek Gap TT Series, which I've done a whole buncha times my best time ever was on a rigid SS. It's got 5800ft over 34 miles (170ft/mile).

One note on riding/racing SS :: On really hilly rides (like the Snake) if you're a SSer it's really frustrating riding with a bunch of geared riders. When they're spinning at 3mph up a hill on narrow singletrack, I just can't do it, I have to get off and walk. If I can start early enough to stay ahead of the pack, and I have (mostly) clear trail ahead of me on the climbs I can stay on the bike a lot more, even if it's often a big strugglefest haha.

Todd - maybe try an easier gear. When I take my SS to the mtns I put a bigger cog on the back. I ride a 32x19 locally, at the Snake I use a 32x21 or 22....I can't remember what my biggest cog is, but that's the one I use haha.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 3 Days Ago at 11:37 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW here's the Snake: 31.6 mi Mountain Bike Ride on February 7, 215 by Dustin G. on Strava

And if that race is within a reasonable driving distance of you...DO IT. So awesome.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 3 Days Ago at 11:48 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Reaching local trails here range from 3 to 6 miles and 1500-3000+ft climbing dirt roads (no cars).
    I built an SS bike about 10 years ago and played with gearing; several riding friends also took it out for trial and we reached the same conclusion about verticalness making SSing a poor choice locally (off road).
    There was one dedicated sponsored SS rider who moved here with his spouse and he left after less than a year.
    I do love having an SS road bike for riding in the valley.
    Last edited by Rich Beaudoin; 3 Days Ago at 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Fosh not why I picked a singlespeed obvi, but my first ride on single was exactly 10% faster than my last three MTB rides on the same trail network according to St**va.