Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overbiked?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Overbiked?

Still on the hunt for a new bike and am exploring the few full suspension options available in xxl. I live/ride in the front range of Colorado and like long days (and going uphill), but also want to hit the local trails for a quick loop after work. I was thinking 130mm of suspension would be more than plenty for me (I keep my wheels on the ground) but only seem to be finding 140 and 150 in my size. Curious what the penalty will be (if anything) for going bigger. Is the bigger bike going to feel like a couch? Just more weight to haul uphill? other considerations?

thanks for your help. And please pardon all my newbie posts (Iím not trying to make this place feel like the mtbr forums), but shopping for new bikes can be stressful when you havenít done it in more than a decade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Overbiked?

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
    Still on the hunt for a new bike and am exploring the few full suspension options available in xxl. I live/ride in the front range of Colorado and like long days (and going uphill), but also want to hit the local trails for a quick loop after work. I was thinking 130mm of suspension would be more than plenty for me (I keep my wheels on the ground) but only seem to be finding 140 and 150 in my size. Curious what the penalty will be (if anything) for going bigger. Is the bigger bike going to feel like a couch? Just more weight to haul uphill? other considerations?

thanks for your help. And please pardon all my newbie posts (I’m not trying to make this place feel like the mtbr forums), but shopping for new bikes can be stressful when you haven’t done it in more than a decade.
    Looks to me like the weight difference between 130mm trail bikes and enduro bikes is pretty minimal as most are sharing the same kind of wheels and tires. I feel certainly a bit overbiked these days with my Banshee Prime (135mm at the back, 150mm at the front) on most of my local trail that are really stupidly steep fireroads. But reducing to 10 or 15mm less wouldn't make a major difference either and I would have to go with a full susser XC bikes in its 120mm trail/marathon variant to really feel a significative difference while climbing.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't ride or know about such things, but the 2020 TallBoy is available in your size and it seems to have entered a new era in the geometry department even for the new geometry. I demoed one, and since my riding is basically best suited for XC singlesppeed, its wheel flop and wheelbase were nonstarters for me and its rear squish was overkill, but if you really don't want a 140mm bike, it's 120mm but still manages to seem more aggressive than previous generations of Tallboy, at least based on a little bit of reading I did on Competitive Cyclist's writeup and elsewhere; maybe that would still suit front range riding without being under-biked? People who love those kind of bikes seem to love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would test a few options in different categories to figure out your style. Guerrilla gravity is in your neck of the woods a have aggressive 120 or 150 bike that ride on the firm side and a hardtail. Also ride and Xc type 120 bike to feel the difference. I am firmly in the aggressive geometry camp even on mellow terrain, you have to drive the bike more but I think itís more fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

modern suspension is so good that i think it is hard to be overbiked...now i wouldn't ride a DH rig on my local trails, but i don't really notice another 10-20mm

my daily ride is a ripley v4...i demoed a ripmo when ibis was in town and honestly i didnt feel as much of a difference climbing as i thot i would

remember we're talking about 1cm of travel in the context of constant dynamic movement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re talking about one or two headset spacers difference of wheel travel.

On the climbs you’ll either feel it or you won’t. Has more to do with the bikes pedaling platform than the actual amount of travel.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_8844.JPG

I have always held (and especially since I am now stuck riding these technical monstrosities) that one should ride the least bike for the job for the most joy.

I so miss the simplicity on one-speeds, for example.
    So Badly

Off Road Handcycles, for example - now, people want to have then triple suspension and lots of doo-dads, but then they are so heavy that you pretty much have to put an electric motor on it or it's a pig.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of rider are "over-biked". They want a bike that climbs and single tracks well, and has some decent suspension.
    They end up with a bike that looks like they are ready to ride Red Bull Rampage. Climbs terrible, too long in the wheelbase to single track well, etc.

Look at 120mm bikes- Companies are even billing these as "race bikes" these days. But it is swinging back.
    Scott Spark (non RC)
    Orbea Oiz (with 120mm option)
    Trek Top Fuel 2020
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    These bikes will go up as well as down-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterpoint:

Those bikes down go down all that good.

There is a difference between picking your way down and descending. There is a difference between climbing and getting to the top.

Ripley or Ripmo? Neither is wrong.

160mm ainít a Rampage bike. With the right kinematic sand tune it can be downright lively and playful.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take:
    Go demo some of these bikes on your local trails. You won't find a more valid opinion than your own. If you're going to throw down $4k+ on a new rocket ship you should probably try it out before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    My take:
    Go demo some of these bikes on your local trails. You won't find a more valid opinion than your own. If you're going to throw down $4k+ on a new rocket ship you should probably try it out before you buy.
    Would love to...but at 6'7", demo options are quite limited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight is definitely a penalty. I'd guess you'd be close to 30lbs in a bike your size unless you spend a ton.

Not sure if any of these come in a size "enormous" but worth a look.
    Ibis Ripley, Ripmo, Ripmo AF
    Pivot Trail 429, Switchblade
    Santa Cruz Tallboy, 5010
    Norco Optic
    Kona Process 134
    Guerilla Gravity
    Yeti SB 130

Check Pinkbike. Tons of reviews. Sounds like you might be looking for a down country bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 6í7 look at Santa Cruz, Norco, and maybe trek. You want a reach north of 510mm

I have a Hightower two coming that I am excited to try. reach is longer than I have ridden (I am 6í5), but companies do not make Ďbig bikesí big enough for people our size. The xxl mega tower is big, but to get really comfortable riding that bike like intended id prefer reach approaching 530mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're in the metro, you will (eventually) be riding the I70 corridor trails in the vicinity of Golden (Apex, North Table Mtn, Betasso, Floyd Hill, Buff Creek). You won't regret more travel; but, you will probably regret less. Unless you are fast AF you won't notice an extra 10-20mm of travel going up. The bigger issue will be finding something that fits. At 5'9", I have zero recommendations for a larger size bike. If you haven't yet, stop in and talk to the dudes at GG. Their social media dude is your height (I think his name is Jubal).
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the tallboy and Guerrilla Gravity Trail pistol are high on my list. Stopped by GG last week and might take out a demo smash to check on fit (they are convinced they can make one of their big sizes work for me). I’m on a budget so am also considering a yt jeffsy but I’m pretty nervous about fit since they do silly stuff like cut the fork way down before shipping (and I would like to support local business...).

I’m hoping to do some bike packing this summer, so 130 still feels more sensible. (Coming off old school 29er hardtail, so I trust whatever I end up on will be magical)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    At 6’7 look at Santa Cruz, Norco, and maybe trek. You want a reach north of 510mm

I have a Hightower two coming that I am excited to try. reach is longer than I have ridden (I am 6’5), but companies do not make ‘big bikes’ big enough for people our size. The xxl mega tower is big, but to get really comfortable riding that bike like intended id prefer reach approaching 530mm
    I’m jealous. I’d love to take one of those for a spin. Curious: what is your seat height? (With such short seat tubes on most models, one of my concerns is being able to get mine high enough)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My saddle height is 87ish on a mtb. Might be a bit higher on the Hightower due to seat tube changes. Just run the longest dropper you can fit, it should be ok. Xxl megatower the lowest you can get a 200mm reverb is about 83cm saddle height. I run 175mm foxes on my bikes, but if there is a ton of gap on the Hightower Iíll do a one up or bike yoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a shot of my hard tail so you can get an idea of the sort of dimensions you want

New fork - Album on Imgur

No matter what the websites say you can not get the vast majority of bikes to work on people over 6í4.

My 5í11 coworker is getting an xxl megatower to over fork/overshock for the provincial enduro series. Heís riding a size up to get further between the wheels on fast descents, but when there are 5 sizes for people shorter than 6 foot, and one for someone over you have to understand that a lot of bikes wonít work. We sell yeti/ibis/sc for mtbs at the shop, and I can assure you that a yeti or ibis will be too small, regardless of what other people tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built up an Evil the Following XL frame with a 130mm fox fork; probably overkill for me but very lively, climbs ok, doesn't feel like too much bike nor inefficient if just cruising a dirt road or nontech single track, and if you want to spend the money can get it down to about 28 pounds. One problem is they're sold out and perhaps in the middle of a model redo. Saddle height is 84 cm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Lenz Sport is in Weld County CO. So right *close* by.

Custom is an option if needed, as well as tweaking to suit your travel preferences.

Been working with Devin for years now, you won't find a more helpful, earnest, less "hype prone" builder than he.

He'd also likely have something close to your size to demo too, but it's ski bike season right now, so who knows how easily you can track him down at the moment...

YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast