Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overbiked?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Overbiked?

Iím always a bit skeptical with custom fs bikes, as so much has changed in the last year or two that you need someone with their finger on the pulse of progressive bike design to ensure you get something good.

That being said if they can get the geo numbers you need it might be the right choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Iím always a bit skeptical with custom fs bikes, as so much has changed in the last year or two that you need someone with their finger on the pulse of progressive bike design to ensure you get something good.

That being said if they can get the geo numbers you need it might be the right choice.
    Not sure if that's directed at my comments or not?

But if so?

By custom, I'm implying head tube and top tube tweaks to fit either an existing "known fit" or, going "one bigger" if need be, and the rider's unsure of what they actually need beyond "I'm 6'1"....

I would add though, that Lenz is solidly single pivot. Which is either a breath of fresh air in a land filled with *todays version of perfect* suspension designs, all, sure to be outdated in a season, and generally, parts made unavailable within a year or two (which is often when you might need a bolt, pivot link, etc).

SP designs aren't cutting edge, nor are they going to prevent you from feeling the suspension working, which seems to be the prime motivator of pretty much the rest of the field.

What they will do is keep the rider in control, comfortable, and smiling as they crush whatever happens to come into their path. For me? That describes perfection in suspension.

Wanna climb? Just flip the lever and it's a hard tail more or less. Why would I want it riding like one, the rest of the time?

For the rider seeking the latest design with 18 pivots and a propensity to develop play and creaks? Might not be the tool for the job.

Worth noting, Devin is one dude. So there's no one to hide behind, his stuff just works, and he stands behind it. As a one man shop with my reputation on the line daily? I heartily respect that business model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fs mtbs are very complicated, and minor changes in geo can have a large effect

road bikes are very easy for me to look at a chart and say "this will work if it is stiff here, etc"

mtb test riding and demoing is far more important than any other type of riding in my experience. custom FS bikes you can't do that really. Finally, until geo really gets nailed down I'd hesitate to pay the custom surcharge for something that might be really outdated in a few years. If said custom builder will do a really progressive bike, that could be great. That being said the difference between brands that 'get it', and those that don't is still quite the divide in the mtb world

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first mentioned custom above I meant a custom built Trek 9.9 frame for instance, not a full custom FS frame. This is what I did with mine and of course spend something like $9K or $10K on the bike back then. I am sure there has been at least 3 or 4 new generation of suspension designs and "new geometries" since I bought mine. I sometimes get caught in wanting a newer one.... Like last year where I almost "upgraded" to a Yeti.

I am in pathetic shape right now. This fact helps me realize that my Trek is way more bike that I need (this goes for the rest of the stable too).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12