Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is nuts right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This is nuts right?

Would building a 26 canti mtb in 2020 be nuts? Can you even get wheels and tires?

Still jonesing for a mtb and was thinking maybe there's a way to do it on the cheap.

I don't need suspension or discs necessarily.

I'd be fine on sweet V brakes (Paul? XTR?) if they exist

Litespeed because I went to college with kids who rode them to class and I was kind of jelly — I don't even know if this is a halfway decent model — and I'm not sure the project would be worth it.

Just quarantine dreaming, carry on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: This is nuts right?

I recognize that eBay seller's photo background, and, IMO, the price of everything to come out of that shop is nuts. And, yes, you can get wheels and tires, but it'd probably be nuts to build a canti 26er... XT hydros are just so good and not that much money when you think about how good they are.

That said, a lot of cool 26ers could make fun gravel bikes. Nevertheless, you could score a ti 29er on pinkbike or somewhere for $1500, I bet, if you're willing to find the right deal. An new unbuilt Litespeed KuWa 27.5 frame on the bay right now for $1K; only $200 bones more than that seller's asking for a 20-year-old canti bike.

But, let me affirm you, my brother, I get the itch some times too!
    Last edited by zambenini; 05-22-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were so inclined to ride such a thing, I have everything I need to build it up except a fork. I just re-found a set of Avid Ultimate V-brakes NIB in one of my cabinets a few weeks ago. If I were so inclinded...which I am not. Parts are out there for sure
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the three biggest and best things that have happened to my mountain bike riding over the past decade have been:

1. Tubeless tires. Available in 26"! They let me ride the low pressures I want and say goodbye to pinch flats. I used to go through a dozen or more inner tubes in a season.

2. Disc brakes. Primarily for winter, because your day can go from bad to worse when your rims ice up after riding through a stream. So if you don't ride in winter then who cares? A secondary consideration is that your wheels can get pretty ragged (rim dents and out-of-true) and you can still ride them with discs.

3. Plus tires. Whole new ball game for me, light years beyond the swap from 26 to 29. Also did not suck that they came with the geometry and build of a 44. Note that this is also specific to the slow, techy trails I ride.

So what I'm saying is that if you set that thing up rigid and tubeless, don't ride it in winter or through the rock gardens in my neck of the woods, that Litespeed's gonna party like it's 1999.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 05-22-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can totally do it. My only mountain bike right now is a 26" canti bike. It's fine, but I wouldn't spend any significant money on it. New mountain bikes are amazing, and the amazingness starts pretty cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are still lot of brand new low end 26" in the market. It only has shrank in the high-end stuff.

I would put magura hydros on that thing, at least for the rear as you could build a mullet with a front disc.

That said 26" mtbs and old geo mostly scream street bike to me. Those kinds of bike you'd pull a trailer with or convert to cargo with a crust cargo fork and don't care about the look.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Would building a 26 canti mtb in 2020 be nuts? Can you even get wheels and tires?

Still jonesing for a mtb and was thinking maybe there's a way to do it on the cheap.

I don't need suspension or discs necessarily.

I'd be fine on sweet V brakes (Paul? XTR?) if they exist

Litespeed because I went to college with kids who rode them to class and I was kind of jelly — I don't even know if this is a halfway decent model — and I'm not sure the project would be worth it.

Just quarantine dreaming, carry on

If it means something to you, I'd do it. I've done in twice in last ten years and - while climbing in price for NOS - the parts are still there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ONLY mountain bike is a 26"/V-brake/rigid setup. I went mountain biking yesterday on it. I felt no cravings for the latest tubeless/29"/disc brake marketing must-have.

Skinnier tires and short bar-ends make it a blistering gravel bike or city bike.

Don't listen to Trend Boyz; build it and have fun.

Rock Lobster - 1 (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a used 98 Litespeed Obed in 1999 when I was a sophomore in college off the MTBR forum classifieds. Tried to build it up in my dorm room from parts stripped off my Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo only to learn that some random screwdrivers, an adjustable wrench, and some channel locks weren't going to do the job. I gave up, took the frame and all the parts to the LBS, and spent down nearly to my last dime to have the shop put it together. Miraculously, I think every part swapped over just fine, and I only had to pay for the labor:) My obed was dreamy, and that Ocoee reminds me a lot of my old mountain bike. I think the Ocoee might have been one model better in the line-up? Anyway, all to say, I totally get it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see buying an old 26er unless it was strictly for nostalgia or very inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26" are still big time fun.
    But cantilevers are not, thank you, use v-brakes and spend more time riding then adjusting those damn things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    My ONLY mountain bike is a 26"/V-brake/rigid setup. I went mountain biking yesterday on it. I felt no cravings for the latest tubeless/29"/disc brake marketing must-have.

Skinnier tires and short bar-ends make it a blistering gravel bike or city bike.

Don't listen to Trend Boyz; build it and have fun.

Rock Lobster - 1 (1).jpg
    I ride them all, but canti's make only for a retro-classic that doesn't get much use!
    Disk brakes are great when you are riding in the glorious British Weather and not too keen on rebuilding your wheels every year

my "old" mtbs

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode some trails with a buddy last week. He was on a very nice vintage Yo Eddy with canti's. He seemed quite unconcerned not to be on tubeless, or discs, or suspension. He was also pretty quick, and clearly enjoying himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 Litespeed Pisgah Titanium Hardtail w/ Shimano Deore XT | eBay

Here's a complete. I am not sure what's with this dude's shipping situation but maybe he just wants to charge actual shipping and is twitchy about it. Anyway, I sold a 26" steel rigid a year ago for about 800. It had flat bar/urban singletrack type parts or drop bar gravel bits and friction shifters included. That had to be the top price the market could bear I would think the ti bump ought not be that much from there at that vintage. Worse ways to blow a lmost a grand I guess; that said, a rigid steel early 29er would be more fun and maybe even cheaper. A Kelly Rochambeau or a Gary Fisher Rig or something ought to scratch the vintage itch and the cheap build itch but have better tire and wheel options available. Remember all those 26 vs 29 articles? 29ers faster all the time, but 26ers feel more fun, what ever that means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Would building a 26 canti mtb in 2020 be nuts? ... Still jonesing for a mtb and was thinking maybe there's a way to do it on the cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I recognize that eBay seller's photo background, and, IMO, the price of everything to come out of that shop is nuts.

Back to the OP's question: Would it be nuts to buy an old fashioned bike? If @zambenini is correct and this is an overpriced frame then the answer is yes. Obviously we all enjoyed 26" bikes to keep riding them. There is no question it can be fun but spending top dollar (or euro) on something you aren't sure about might not be the best way to scratch the itch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Went through a similar exercise this weekend. Our neighborhood farm put out the call for bikes so their workers could avoid piling into a van or pickup cab to get between fields. I knew I probably had enough parts on hand to dress up this gem of an old frame, which I think was a Trek 8500. US-made aluminum with the cool Bontrager-design gusset under the down tube. Rattle can paint.

Farm vehicle.

I ended up dropping about $100 on miscellaneous parts, but heck I managed to almost use up my cache of neon cable housing. One thing I learned is just how damn good some entry-level parts are: Logic headset, Alivio vee brakes, UN55 bottom bracket. Solid stuff, seems like we figure out how to really make these commodity-level parts just as they fall out of fashion. Cheap pedals are still an abomination.

This build may also serve as a warning, that fork has little or no suspension correction on a frame designed for 100 mm travel. So it feels like a rocket on the road but that front end is a tad twitchy for the woods. Mind your fork selection!
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bidon with mismatch cap is a masterful touch with those cables

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just about bought a Yo Eddy on Saturday before coming to my senses, so I can see where you are coming from. But that frame is $800?? Crack pipe. The Yo Eddy - with full M900 XTR and a blown SID - was $500. I assumed I was buying the frame and nothing else - at which point it was going to be just as expensive as a new $1500 bike with SLX...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a 26” rim brake frame to actually ride off road is nuts. If you just want it to cruise the path and ride some two-track, I’m sure it would be fine.
    If you are wanting to ride off road with other people, who are on modern MTBs, on modern style trails, you’ll have a lot more fun on a newer bike.
    I still have one of my old 26” rim brake bikes and from time to time I’ll take it out for a ride, it scares the crap out of me.... this is coming from someone who rides off road a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast