Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chameleon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Chameleon

Anyone here have one? LBS has a weekend sale going on and for $600 (frame only) I don't think I can resist.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Chameleon

I’ve had one for a while. It’s an aluminum hardtail. Geometry is good, even/especially with a 140 fork, and the modular dropouts work. That’s kind of all I can say about it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thx, the dropouts were one of my questions. I'll run it with what I have which is 29er/120 Pike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dropouts are expensive, but I would suggest buying both. I’ve only ever run the 29er dropouts with plus tires, because I like the very-low BB and slack headtube/long front end. But I could easily see why someone else might not like this set up - particularly the BB height - and changing them is pretty straightforward (which isn’t to say easy, but it’s very practical). (And I f you’re curious, here’s my exposť on plus tires.)

It’s a good bike. It doesn’t elicit any kind of emotional response for me, at least not the way my TB3 does (or any of my bikes built on this continent, by humans). But hardtails also kind of suck, at least for the few months a year here when you can go fast on dirt... I’m just crusty about being relegated to the hardtail for the next six months, except a week’s vacation south if I can swing it! Good full squish is better for EVERYTHING. Except the highway. And winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Anyone here have one? LBS has a weekend sale going on and for $600 (frame only) I don't think I can resist.
    600. USD is a good price IMO. The retail price is 749. and I have heard these frames are in demand. My lbs told me that Santa Cruz sold out of the 1st batch very quickly.
    I have ridden one in 27.5plus mode a few times on some rocky, technical trails and liked it. Like the color too :)
    Actually, I liked it enough to buy one (sort of an impulse buy as I really don't need another hardtail)
    Its still in the box waiting to be built - need a few more parts.
    Last edited by DonH; 11-29-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Like the color too :)
    Ha! That's the part I like the least. I gave up early on and purposefully built the ugliest, least matchy-matchy bike I could manage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    600. USD is a good price IMO. The retail price is 749. and I have heard these frames are in demand. My lbs told me that Santa Cruz sold out of the 1st batch very quickly.
    I have ridden one in 27.5plus mode a few times on some rocky, technical trails and liked it. Like the color too :)
    Actually, I liked it enough to buy one (sort of an impulse buy as I really don't need another hardtail)
    Its still in the box waiting to be built - need a few more parts.
    Sure is, I ordered one but it won't be here for about 5 weeks. I'm not a fan of the paint job which is made worse by the fact that my I9 hubs and headset are blue... kinda considering repainting it lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother just bought one too. Who knew they'd be so popular?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I test rode a Chameleon and it was fine. The geo's not as good for me as a bike with a longer reach-to-stack relationship, but I do like that it lives up to the name with the dropouts and the front derailleur mount point. Not that I'm at all interested in a front derailleur.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    My brother just bought one too. Who knew they'd be so popular?
    Ha! Remember the first one with the horizontal dropouts and upside-down disc mount? Those didn’t exactly rust on the shelves...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an aluminum one with the swinging dropouts that I ran singlespeed and I really like it.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't mind, could you comment on function of the dropouts? Ideally I'd like ability to run new a Chameleon as either geared or SS but don't want to have 2 rear wheels, I'd much prefer to have 1 wheel set in boost spacing. SC indicates the geared dropouts have some ability to dial in chainstay length; could one theoretically tension an SS chain with this in conjunction with creative gearing choices and/or half links?

I know they sell SS drops for 142 spaced hubs, I've recently made moves to liquidate wheels to boost only so prefer to stick with that for time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an older one. I took the pic...I'm not the rider. The eventual winner of the GA State SS Championship a few years back. This was taken during the short track race. Not only is this about to be a pretty big bunny hop, but he was HAULING ASS.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14 View Post
    If you don't mind, could you comment on function of the dropouts? Ideally I'd like ability to run new a Chameleon as either geared or SS but don't want to have 2 rear wheels, I'd much prefer to have 1 wheel set in boost spacing. SC indicates the geared dropouts have some ability to dial in chainstay length; could one theoretically tension an SS chain with this in conjunction with creative gearing choices and/or half links?

I know they sell SS drops for 142 spaced hubs, I've recently made moves to liquidate wheels to boost only so prefer to stick with that for time being.
    All the dropouts have the same adjustability, to the best of my knowledge. Again, I only have the Boost 29 and 27.5+ dropouts - not the singlespeed dropouts, which are 142 spaced. I have briefly handled, but not installed or inspected, the singlespeed dropouts, and they look to have adjustment identical to the standard geared dropouts.

So you're in the clear: get whatever dropouts you want. The only bummer, from my perspective, is that you're required to run just about all the hardware regardless of whether you have any intentions of adjusting your chainstay length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your insight; to me it doesn't make sense why a SS dropout would be 142 vs. 148 since I would guess a lot of riders would convert geared 142 hubs, missing out on the added strength of a dedicated SS wheel. I digress...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14 View Post
    Thanks for your insight; to me it doesn't make sense why a SS dropout would be 142 vs. 148 since I would guess a lot of riders would convert geared 142 hubs, missing out on the added strength of a dedicated SS wheel. I digress...
    Boost wheels aren't stronger, they're just Boost. End of story.

I think the thinking was, people who already have 135/142 singlespeed wheels might not want to replace them, and anyone else can live with a derailleur hanger. But then, the whole anti-derailleur-hanger thing was always lost on me. Don't like it? Cut it off. (But then, again, I grew out of rigid SSing more than a decade ago, and have only had more fun and gone faster since...)

I said "get whatever dropouts you want," but I would reiterate: get both 27.5+ and 29er so you can experiment with BB height/head angle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: It took forever but it's finally here. I've got a 120mm Pike, XT group (Saint front caliper), 9.8 dropper, i9/we are one composites rims with 2.5" DHF/2.4" Ardent, Renthal bar/stem...should be a fun bike.

Will give a ride report asap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: It took forever but it's finally here. I've got a 120mm Pike, XT group (Saint front caliper), 9.8 dropper, i9/we are one composites rims with 2.5" DHF/2.4" Ardent, Renthal bar/stem...should be a fun bike.

Please do, looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfamiliar with that model, will have to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the latest news, Jason? Eager to see the bike and hear about how it rides!
    Steven Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast