Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Chameleon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Chameleon

New colors and configurations! - Man, I'm aching for that S+ in orange...

Santa Cruz Chameleon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rcunnane View Post
    New colors and configurations! - Man, I'm aching for that S+ in orange...

Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Ugh. That burnt orange just isn't good. I'd prefer a bit brighter orange. This was the sole reason why I didn't buy a Tallboy - their colors just weren't doing it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I just bought a Big Honzo, but I wouldn't say no to the blue Chameleon if one fell off the back of a truck.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    I know I just bought a Big Honzo, but I wouldn't say no to the blue Chameleon if one fell off the back of a truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
    Ugh. That burnt orange just isn't good. I'd prefer a bit brighter orange. This was the sole reason why I didn't buy a Tallboy - their colors just weren't doing it for me.
    Man, now you guys have me second guessing my color choice! Hung - how do you like the Big Honzo? It's definitely one I'm considering. The geo is pretty similar to the Chameleon and I've heard that they compare pretty well. That being said the threaded BB (I'm currently dealing with some serious squeakage on my PF30 road bike) and new build kits have me leaning towards the Chameleon.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Big Honzo is my first MTB, so I honestly have nothing to compare it to. I'm pretty much still riding the wave of stoke that comes from having a new challenge and new set of skills to work on. My decision came down to the fact that I was able to get a leftover 2017 model Honzo which I feel had a better fork spec (Yari vs Revelation) for significant discount.

I also would have preferred the threaded BB of the Chameleon, but the PF unit in my Honzo has been fine after a month of mixed conditions and I'll probably end up with a thread-together unit if needed down the road. My PF30 CX bike has been running one from WheelsMfg since early this year without a peep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    The Big Honzo is my first MTB, so I honestly have nothing to compare it to. I'm pretty much still riding the wave of stoke that comes from having a new challenge and new set of skills to work on. My decision came down to the fact that I was able to get a leftover 2017 model Honzo which I feel had a better fork spec (Yari vs Revelation) for significant discount.

I also would have preferred the threaded BB of the Chameleon, but the PF unit in my Honzo has been fine after a month of mixed conditions and I'll probably end up with a thread-together unit if needed down the road. My PF30 CX bike has been running one from WheelsMfg since early this year without a peep.
    Thanks for the reply! I have a Wheels Mfg thread-together on order as we speak - glad to hear it's served you well. Enjoy the new ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been loving my Chameleon as a 27.5+ bike (finally got it built up). Very nimble bike - wheelies easily over trail obstacles - lots of fun.
    Actually, riding this bike makes me want to try out a Stache 29+ also.CHAMELEON PLUS.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone race their Chameleons?
    Apparently I had a good year at work in 2019 and found myself in a position to order a carbon carbon carbon Chameleon. It'll be set up with a Pike, Astral wheels and XT 1x11.
    I'm looking at a couple endurance races this spring/summer and wondering whether there's anything I should do out of the gate to XC-ify it a little bit without also nullifying the fact that I did, in fact buy a Chameleon, and not a Highball.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a Chameleon, but had a Kona Big Honzo before upgrading to full-squish.

If you have the option to run 29" wheels, that would be preferable to the 27.5+ config.
    Lighter/faster rolling tires that are appropriate for the area you're racing. If you're doing an XCM-type event, hauling a DHF/DHR combo isn't going to do you any favours, but neither will slashing a tire with inadequate casing strength.
    Increase your low-speed compression and/or increase the air pressure in your fork to firm things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XC racing? I suppose you could race one (run what you brung and whatnot), but it isn't an XC bike (but you know that).

That said, the new carbon frame looks great with a nice geo. If you don't care where you place, then who cares?

For racing, 29" wheels for sure. Good, fast rubber. Drop the front end a wee bit if you can. Maybe stiffen up the Pike and drop in an extra token. Ergon grips.

Have fun - those are cool bikes.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.
    I am definitely not looking to be an XC racer (or I'd have bought an XC bike), but I find myself preferring time on the MTB more and more in the winter vs road bikes, so any small changes I can make to the bike for longer distances and fitness over the winter, straight into a longer race in the spring would be good. After that it'd be more of a play bike and bash around town with my kids in the warmer months.

I am using 29" only and have set up with Knobby Nic's tubeless. I don't know thing one about suspension so will take your advice into account and try to get smarter on fork settings.
    I do need to figure out grips, as I have large-ish hands and stock MTB grips feel too skinny for me.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Thanks guys.

I do need to figure out grips, as I have large-ish hands and stock MTB grips feel too skinny for me.
    I'm with you there. Ergon has a fat grip that is really comfy. I've got it on all of my mtn bikes.

GA2 Fat – ERGON BIKE
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have large-ish hands as well, but Ergons (GP and GS) don't work for me for some reason. Main issue is it rubs the inside of my thumbs raw. I've tried every different angle and no go.

My favorite are coincidentally, Ergon GA's. I used to use ESI Chunky's for years, but these Ergons feel better to me. Plus, removal/install isn't as difficult as the ESI's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how lage your hands are but anytime I see a thread asking for mtb grip recommendations I have to put in my vote for the Ergon GE1's. These hands down are the most comfortable grips I've ever used, any other grip for multi day events would give me issues, I was able to use these through BC Bike Race last year with no problems whatsoever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12