User Tag List

Thread: New carbon rims from Ibis vs. Nox Farlow, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New carbon rims from Ibis vs. Nox Farlow, etc.?

Looks like Ibis recently updated its carbon rim offerings in a partnership with Stans.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/wheels/

I'm wondering how the new Ibis "S28/29" 28 mm internal width 29" carbon rim compares with something like a Nox Farlow.

Those of you who build lots of wheels, is there anything notably different about these rim designs that makes one "better" than another?
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New carbon rims from Ibis vs. Nox Farlow, etc.?

Donít see it as a positive or negative personally, just another option. If you/local shop/your wheelbuilder, etc have a good relationship with ibis Iím sure itís worth trying! The vertical compliance the stans carbon rims offer was not necessarily a huge selling point for many wheel builders and the BST design doesnít play well with certain tires, wtb being a notable one but Iím not sure how much if at all those features are transferred into the ibis offering. Looking at the profile, it seems to just be a bead design liscensing thing like sun ringle has done recently.

Honesty, nox has been pumping out pretty great rims for a long while now and we are one in Canada has started producing some seriously impressive stuff as well. Iíd recommend either of them for sure. Both of those companies have a lifetime warranty. Not sure what ibis is offering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, just the kind of insight I was hoping for. Ibis has a seven-year warranty, so pretty good, but not lifetime. I'll have to talk with the shop that would build the wheels vs. purchase the Ibis pre-builts.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"""lifetime""" ... ymmv with those warranties, I'm guessing, and would bet you'd get a similar warranty experience out of Ibis' 7-year.; doubt it matters at that point. Santa Cruz Reserve also is offering a killer warranty. Either way, all the above rims are so good, and the warranties so good, that they will probably be great for a very long time and you will be tempted to upgrade before something goes wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lifetime warranty is generally against manufacturing defects. Those defects, if present, will show pretty quickly, not 5+ years down the road. Crash replacement policy is something to be more concerned with IMO.

Vertical compliance in rims is a bad idea. It leads to spokes becoming de-tensioned, which leads to wheels going out of true and/or spokes fatiguing and breaking. This is basic wheelbuilding 101 - spoke tension should be high and even to prevent spokes from becoming de-tensioned during use.

I have no experience with the Ibis rims, but I can speak highly of Nox.

I built a lot of Nox rims and had great results. I can think of one that cracked that was deemed a defect (tho it honestly could have been impact damage) and was replaced under warranty at no cost to the rider. One customer did break one doing that Megavlanch (spelling?) enduro in France. The wheel did survive the run though, didn't even lose air pressure. He found the crack after he got back to the states and unboxed the bike. And I cracked some spoke holes on one myself...but that was user error. It was a 24 hole road rim (their first one, which they no longer make) I had set up on my gravel bike and I rode through a rock garden on a MTB trail with it with 38mm tires...I bottomed it out HARD a time or two. The sidewalls took the hit, but a few spoke holes were showing some hairline cracks afterwards. Rode the wheel for months with the cracks before finally replacing it.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Vertical compliance in rims is a bad idea.
    Sorry, a bit off tangent, but this brings back very old memories when I was racing BMX. I can't remember how, but I ended up with a rear wheel with a nylon rim temporarily. I forget who the rim brand was, but talk about vertical compliance... Coming off a big hump and landing had the wheel get squished like a pillow upon impact and spring back into round. It was really surprising how the spokes didn't just snap, especially after a couple of times. Effing scary stuff. I went back to Skyway Tuffs after a couple of weeks.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Along with Ibis, Zipp is going all-in on "ankle compliance". Reviewers (not just GCN) seem to like it, but time will tell.

Check out the impact footage at 5:41:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are one has lifetime free crash replacement and great prices on prebuilts. I am saving up for a set of agents for my sentinel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Along with Ibis, Zipp is going all-in on "ankle compliance". Reviewers (not just GCN) seem to like it, but time will tell.

Check out the impact footage at 5:41:

Yeah, those things are going to need rebuilds every so often. How often...I can't say. Depends on how often the rims are flexing enough to drop the tension.

Keep in mind, if it flexes even 2mm it'll drop the tension off the spoke completely. Just because the spokes aren't visually bending like in the video doesn't mean they aren't be de-tensioned.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?