Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next trail bike ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My next trail bike ?

I've sold my 29+ carbon hardtail and looking for a fully suspended trail bike with a modern geometry., and 130 to 150mm of travel. No requirement in term of material as long as the bike is good, obviously the carbon offerings are a tad out of touch given my budget which is between 2500 and 3500€. This is a period of closeouts on 2018 models and I've short listed these few ones. I plan to test ride the rallon, the trailfox and the NSbike if it is available in my size locally but the Cotic and Nukeproof would have to be ordered online.

- Cotic RocketMax
    - Nukeproof Mega 290
    - NSbikes Snabb 130 plus
    - Orbea Rallon
    - BMC trailfox

Has anyone ridden one of these bike ? I'll probably do a few other tests, I need to go see what the LBS are offering from brands such as Cube, Focus, Rocky Mountain. It won't be a specialized for subjectives reasons not related to their bike qualities, not a Giant for aesthetic reasons. I doubt I'll choose a Trek as they tend to be very expensive unless I get some great deal.

My kind of riding won't be competitive, I want a trail bike to have fun with my friends who are all riding Rallons, Yetis 5.5c or similar bikes. We tend to ride on some enduro worthy trails and although I was always able to follow them on my former XCish hardtail I want a more capable and fun bike on the steepest and most technicals downhills.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 08-23-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My next trail bike ?

Oh I forgot, I'm partial to 29".
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Oh I forgot, I'm partial to 29".
    Mondraker. Calling Summer Cycles. I've been looking at the specs. and listening to Craig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Mondraker. Calling Summer Cycles. I've been looking at the specs. and listening to Craig.
    I thought they weren't doing any 29er except for the XC bikes. Looks like I was wrong, thanks. I think I know a shop carrying them close to me.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas,

I'm on an NS Snabb Plus 29 this year with 140 mm rear travel, 160mm DVO suspension front. It's an absolute monster of a bike. Been racing it in local enduros and it can handle far more than I can. Bike parks are fine as well, even if the big wheels don't change course very well in the air. Steep tracks are great, you can hang way off the back and it doesn't stiffen up at all. I can fit a 170mm dropper on mine.

It has a ton of anti-squat so it really doesn't bob at all when climbing or pedaling. Far less at least than the older Trek Fuel I was on before it. I keep the shock wide open at all times, never bother to hit the switch at all. Wheelies well, chain stays are certainly short enough. Can fit a 34 chainring up front, maybe even a 36 but haven't tried. It feels "long" to me on tight flat trails, but it's the first slack long travel 29 I've ever ridden, I assume they're all like this in general. You sort of can't bend it around slow flat corners like older style bikes, it tends to go long. I think it's just the nature of this style of beast though, no way around the wheelbase length.

Weighs in around 33 lbs / 15 kg with aluminum wheels.

The biggest feel is that it just wants to go downhill really fast. It's not "poppy" or "playful", even though it's also not a straight line machine that can't turn. It just wants to go really fast in an unstoppable way. Feels tough too, not a fragile bike you're worried about breaking after it bounces off a few rocks.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for. Your observations seems consistent with what I read online about it. Bike seems to be hefty but lack of pedal bob make it more capable than weight would make us think. It is certainly reassuring it is build to DH standard, some of my friend's Orbea Rallon frames have already been replaced under warranty.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked out the Commencal MetaTr 29?
    It's one of the best party-bikes out there right now, based on the time I spent playing on one in a bikepark a few weeks ago. The Eu 3,500 build is very solid.

I've spent a day on the Mega 29, and it is very much a race bike, not quite one I'd bring to a group ride that might involve spirited riding on liasions. It climbs with aplomb for it's heft but the geometry is very focused on winning races. It's not one for slapping ruts or nose-bonking trailside obstacles. I'd buy one to race on in a heartbeat though.

A few of the kids who work at Cane Creek ride the 27.5" wheeled Rocket as their back-country access/Enduro race machines and love the 853 feel and reliability thus far.

The main thing to remember- if your bike doesn't weigh more than 32 pounds you're going to be getting lots of flats if you really use a big wheeled fuller-travel bike to it's full potential in proper mountainbiking terrain.
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride a 2018 Kona Hei Hei currently, 100mm F/R but, the new 29er Process 153 WILL be my next bike. I have spent some time on the previous generation; they were incredibly fun bikes when pointed down. Climbing was okay, and you could definitely clean difficult uphill sections, it just took you a bit longer than a typical XC FS bike. I fully expect the new generation to be that much better. All the initial reviews I have read praise the bike. Worth a check!

Video: Kona Launches New Carbon Process 29er - Pinkbike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the market for a similar bike and budget. Top of my list are the Guerrilla Gravity Smash, Transition Sentinel and YT Capra. Capra is the best deal in the category at $3k for a nice build aluminum frame. Transition and GG might be hard to get at your price point in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Rocky Mountain Altitude which I like (although I am lusting a bit after a YT Industries Capra 29er which could be an option for you), but since you say 29er is preferred how about:
    * Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition (alloy or carbon)
    * Santa Cruz Hightower LT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for. Your observations seems consistent with what I read online about it. Bike seems to be hefty but lack of pedal bob make it more capable than weight would make us think. It is certainly reassuring it is build to DH standard, some of my friend's Orbea Rallon frames have already been replaced under warranty.
    I'm really not worried about durability on this one, rocker links and other parts are suitably thick. Pivots easy to work on and haven't had any problems. Rear chain stay bridge on my rear end looks like they took the old 130 travel version that was too tight and just cut the slot out of it and repainted it, but hasn't felt flexy at all. I only weigh 165 lbs / 75 kG though, I can't ever feel flex in bikes. Either that or I'm just not sensitive enough...

Honestly the bike might be more playful under a different rider, I was never a BMX kid. The suspension isn't "springy" though, you don't easily load it and bounce back off it, but that's probably my set up too.

It would be nice to have a lighter bike, but I get to the top the same speed as all the carbon guys locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I am in the market for a similar bike and budget. Top of my list are the Guerrilla Gravity Smash, Transition Sentinel and YT Capra. Capra is the best deal in the category at $3k for a nice build aluminum frame. Transition and GG might be hard to get at your price point in Europe.
    I initially dismissedthe capra as YT bikes are usually out of stock in your size when you are ready to order. Looks like they have L and XXL models available. Nice.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a big fan of the Evil The Following MB!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Still a big fan of the Evil The Following MB!
    Doesn't fit my budget if new bike. Found a second hand "framekit" in my size. I'll have to ponder on that one.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transition Sentinel, Ibis Ripmo, Guerilla Gravity Smash, Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, Rocky Mountain Instinct, Kona Process
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norco Sight or Range
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Transition Sentinel, Ibis Ripmo, Guerilla Gravity Smash, Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, Rocky Mountain Instinct, Kona Process
    Still haven't had a chance to ride a Ripmo but I hear very good things!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to go modern geometry you should go all the way. I got a Pole Evolink 140 this last July and it's mind numbingly great. Stay with me here, it's like the love child of a Miata and an M1 Abrams tank. You can smash things, all the things, in the most finesseful way.

It goes downhill every bit as well as you'd expect it to with its length, 160mm fork, and 64* head tube angle, but the crazy surprise is it's the best technical climber I've ever ridden. Just a great great bike and a wholesale reimagining of what a trail bike is and what it can do.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I guess we can now add the Yeti SB150 to the list.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expanding the conversation. I am fully on board with the modern geometry plan for my next bike but struggling with sizing. I rode a GG megatrail in size large (490R, 650S) and it felt really small, part of which was the 40mm stem and bars were set up for someone shorter than me. I would like to test the XL (515R 670S) but they are very hard to find, the new XXL sentinel (510R 640S) is also on the list but Transition doesn't have a demo bike yet. My current non-modern geometry bike has ~440R and 660S with a 70mm stem, these new bikes are much bigger but still feel too small.

How do I determine the right size moving forward without the ability to get in really solid test rides? Guerrilla Gravity runs about a size bigger then transition (L=XL) but is a little less slack so the WB is similar in the same size. I am torn if sizing up to run a 35-40mm stem is going to result in a bike that sucks at everything but fast and open. I like going fast and riding technical trails, but don't want to feel like my bike won't fit through the forest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast