Thread: My next trail bike ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My next trail bike ?

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    We'll see...five minutes hopping off curbs and dodging buses wasn't enough to know for sure. I have some affinity for the brand and want to like it. Handling is so different from what I'm used to...I know it's supposed to be a relatively agile bike, but it felt boat-like compared to an old-school 71/73 hardtail. Have to do some real test rides in the woods.
    I'd say it has a lot to do with the tire combo and not being used to a fully suspended bike. I've been riding for years with hardtail XC bikes that rolled great on pavement. On my current bike I'm using proper trail tires and it is a slog to ride it on pavement to the trail.

Once you will be riding on a proper trail you should quickly forget about it.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:55 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'd say it has a lot to do with the tire combo and not being used to a fully suspended bike. I've been riding for years with hardtail XC bikes that rolled great on pavement. On my current bike I'm using proper trail tires and it is a slog to ride it on pavement to the trail.

Once you will be riding on a proper trail you should quickly forget about it.
    Good points. Demo bike has 2.6 tires on it. One consideration I've got is that every dirt ride starts with 3 miles of paved climb, unless I drive to the woods, which I really don't want to do. Not sure yet if/how this will affect my bike choice.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points. Demo bike has 2.6 tires on it. One consideration I've got is that every dirt ride starts with 3 miles of paved climb, unless I drive to the woods, which I really don't want to do. Not sure yet if/how this will affect my bike choice.
    Some people might want to push you to ride the tires with the most aggressive tread but you can also have fun with better rolling tires as long as you are not riding in the wet and don't need to keep up with riders on more aggressive tires. You simply find the limit and start sliding earlier.

Another thing : the bigger the volume of the tires the hardest it is to find the sweet spot in tire pressure in my experience. Most demo/stock bikes are also frequently setup with tubes inside the tires which add weight and doesn't help getting a good feeling.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this option MetaTr 29, I ride on it a year, I like it. Convenient for me, unlike other models that I had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to Enduro racing there's now a breed of tires with low center knobs for reduced rolling resistance that have pretty aggressive side knobs for cornering. may be the ticket for you. Don't know the brands since that's not what I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider too that modern bikes just handle differently to the 71/73 bikes of years past...and that's a good thing. You have to ride them differently too in order to get what you're expecting out of them. With older bikes, the steeper HTA and longer stem made it so easy to keep weight on your front wheel that you never had to think about it. If you ride steep trails, you probably had to focus on getting back to prevent an OTB. The trend toward longer/slacker with shorter stems means the bikes feel sluggish and you're going to have to make a shift forward. It'll probably take a few rides to get your confidence up but once you do, the new bikes absolutely rip. Similarly, you might find yourself at odds with saddle setback. I've found that the newer style is definitely more comfortable and handles better by moving the saddle forward. The front end wanders less, the back end squats less and they're just more manageable.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    You have to ride them differently too in order to get what you're expecting out of them...
    Great description, will keep this in mind as I test bikes.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree completely and did not like the first few rides on my FS 29er. Now I can't imagine anything else. Definitely requires more body English to move it through turns, but they are so much more capable it's ridiculous. Personally I've always liked narrow handlebars and ended up cutting mine down a cm on either side. That helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Consider too that modern bikes just handle differently to the 71/73 bikes of years past...and that's a good thing. You have to ride them differently too in order to get what you're expecting out of them. With older bikes, the steeper HTA and longer stem made it so easy to keep weight on your front wheel that you never had to think about it. If you ride steep trails, you probably had to focus on getting back to prevent an OTB. The trend toward longer/slacker with shorter stems means the bikes feel sluggish and you're going to have to make a shift forward. It'll probably take a few rides to get your confidence up but once you do, the new bikes absolutely rip. Similarly, you might find yourself at odds with saddle setback. I've found that the newer style is definitely more comfortable and handles better by moving the saddle forward. The front end wanders less, the back end squats less and they're just more manageable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My new 29r felt pretty wonky under me on the first couple of rides. It was built for me but my setup was all wrong. I spent some time with a tape measure and square to get my saddle position correct fore/aft and changed the saddle. I had a really good ride the next day. I have really aggressive 2.5" tires but that's the nature of the rides here in NW Arizona, all kinds of large rocks in the trail and frequent washes that have ankle deep kitty litter gravel that you have to hit at speed to roll through. And cactus, lots of cactus.
    Weight Doper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123