Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My next trail bike ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My next trail bike ?

I rode my Banshee Phantom yesterday and I consider it an excellent bike. I don't know much about suspension tech, but my bike nerd friend says that the kinematics on Banshees are very advanced. I guess that is why I like it? Anyways, they are pretty great Enduro bikes, even at 110mm rear travel. The Prime or something like that has more travel, I believe and may be more up your alley. I have recently converted mine from 29er to 27.5+ and am loving the fat tires. It rode great as a 29er (2.5" tires) as well - I just wanted to be trendy and try out 27.5 2.8 tires!

My bike nerd friend (see above) rode a fancy carbon Rocky Mountain Instinct and it is absolutely beautiful. It is way out of your price range, but as of this year, I think they are offering the same thing in AL, which may be in your range. My first FS bike was a Rocky Mountain Element in AL and it was an excellent bike, though too XC oriented for my purposes (hence buying the Banshee)

If I had the budget now, I would buy another Rocky Mountain personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    130 to 150mm of travel. No requirement in term of material as long as the bike is good, obviously the carbon offerings are a tad out of touch given my budget which is between 2500 and 3500€.
    Any Norco dealers near you? Should be a couple of models of alloy Sight in your budget.

EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Norco Sights are supposed to be excellent bikes all round!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeti 130 leaked at the same time the 150 was released, but official info was quickly taken down. Some screenshots were snagged, but it should officially be dropping in early September.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this in the comments section of Pinkbike SB150's press release. But as nice as they are a new Yeti definitely out of scope for budget reasons. I visited a bike shop yesterday, they had a nice second hand Yeti SB5 available but I'm partial to 29. Athough they carry a number of brands, Trek, Lapierre, BMC, Mondraker, Bulls, they only had one trail bike available in L size, a BMC Trailfox. I'm not sure what to think of it, BMC seems to get out of the long travel muscular powered trail/allmountain department as the trailfox is now only listed in the amp (e-bike) version in their website.

Plan is to visit another shop after work.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 08-30-2018 at 01:46 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With your budget I would only be considering online brands. The buy-in for a mid-level spec bike -decent suspension and GX Eagle, maybe a carbon frame- is about $5000 USD these days. Commencal, YT, Canyon and offer a better parts spec compared to a similarly priced bike you'll find in a shop. Dipping below that price threshold with bike shop brands is going to come with some compromises.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well most shops are doing huge discount to get rid of 2018 models right now so there is that. Biggest hurdle is to find one in the correct size. Problem is most don't have test bike anymore and won't allow you to test ride the bike outside the parking lot so it's pretty much akin to buy some unknown test bike.

There is a big test bike event organized every year in late september with numerours brand and something like 300+ bikes that can be tested. Ideally I would have liked having a bike way before that as mid september early october is the best mtb season imho. Not to hot, beautiful multicolor landscapes, way less hikers in the shared trails. I guess I sold my previous bike too early ;-)

Right now I'm curious about the Pole Evolink 130, Starling Murmur and Cotic flare/rocketmax but I don't see how I could test them and I would need to buy the frame separetely and an unused 11sp xx1 transmission I have in my parts bin alongside being creative with second hands brakes, wheels and cockpit parts to make it work financially. I fear it would lead to an unbalanced build, at least in the short term.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is I found a Mondraker dealer. I'll check if he has some Foxy (carbonornot) 29 in stock...
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New yetis look good

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't understand why anyone would buy a full suspension mountain bike without riding it.

we've got a dozen Mondrakers in the shop for people to ride and borrow and beat up and decide what they like.

i can't believe how good the XL Foxy XR 29er is that we just got in. it's insane.

btw- to anyone interested in demo'ing a Mondraker- come on down to Delmar. If you buy a bike- we'll put you up for a night and give you a bunch of bikes and a bunch of awesome trails to ride.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is I found a Mondraker dealer. I'll check if he has some Foxy (carbonornot) 29 in stock...
    Inquiring minds want to know, did you ever end up pulling the trigger on something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    i don't understand why anyone would buy a full suspension mountain bike without riding it.
    Word.

I also think you should consider a Hightower. It automatically flattens all the brims of your hats when you ride it. In all seriousness... I rode a lot of those bikes you listed, and wound up with a Hightower LT. #brap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Word.

I also think you should consider a Hightower. It automatically flattens all the brims of your hats when you ride it. In all seriousness... I rode a lot of those bikes you listed, and wound up with a Hightower LT. #brap
    I ended up going to a bike test event. I tested a number of bikes, Mondraker Foxy R29, Norco Sight, Transition Sentinel 29, Santa-Cruz Hightower LT. Here is my take:

Mondraker Foxy carbon R29 --> Heavy, not fun to use in the flat/uphills section, is very confidence inspiring on rough ground, absorbs everything without fuss at warp speed but somehow will tend to make you lazy. Not that playful in the twisties unless you are a good enduro rider as it need a lot of body language.
    Norco Sight --> good overall bike, not as composed on the rough stuff but climbs way better. Maybe lack a bit of character ?
    Transition Sentinel 29 ---> Great descending bike. Make you feel as confident as the Mondraker at high speed while feeling much easier and playful in the sharp corners. Problem : it is a boat anchor and you will feel it in the climbs.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT --> Very close to the Norco, descend and climb well, maybe slightly more playful ? A great middle ground for a trail bike.

It is important to note that I tested those bikes in that order and grew more and more confident with the DH track during the day so there is a slight bias to consider. Overall I liked the Santa Cruz the best as it climbs much better than the Mondraker and Transition which I feel are more suited to lift assisted riding.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know, did you ever end up pulling the trigger on something?
    Yes. I would have bought the Santa Cruz but was a bit short on budget and ended up building a bike out of a second hand Banshee Prime 29 and mostly new parts bar the Sram transmission and saddle :

Last edited by sk_tle; 11-08-2018 at 06:27 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up going to a bike test event. I tested a number of bikes, Mondraker Foxy R29, Norco Sight, Transition Sentinel 29, Santa-Cruz Hightower LT. Here is my take:

Mondraker Foxy carbon R29 --> Heavy, not fun to use in the flat/uphills section, is very confidence inspiring on rough ground, absorbs everything without fuss at warp speed but somehow will tend to make you lazy. Not that playful in the twisties unless you are a good enduro rider as it need a lot of body language.
    Norco Sight --> good overall bike, not as composed on the rough stuff but climbs way better. Maybe lack a bit of character ?
    Transition Sentinel 29 ---> Great descending bike. Make you feel as confident as the Mondraker at high speed while feeling much easier and playful in the sharp corners. Problem : it is a boat anchor and you will feel it in the climbs.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT --> Very close to the Norco, descend and climb well, maybe slightly more playful ? A great middle ground for a trail bike.

It is important to note that I tested those bikes in that order and grew more and more confident with the DH track during the day so there is a slight bias to consider. Overall I liked the Santa Cruz the best as it climbs much better than the Mondraker and Transition which I feel are more suited to lift assisted riding.

Yes. I would have bought the Santa Cruz but was a bit short on budget and ended up building a bike out of a second hand Banshee Prime 29 and mostly new parts bar the Sram transmission and saddle :
    Based on your descriptions, I am betting you would like a Rocky Mountain Instinct BC as well; it is also more of an all arounder and climbs well for a bike that has 160/155. Seems like you were looking at the same bikes as I am except we have no Mondraker dealers around here, and the LT is out for me because with my seat height the seat tube angle slackens out a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12