User Tag List

Thread: MTB with babiez (this looks far out!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MTB with babiez (this looks far out!)

My 18 month old son and I put crap tons of miles on our baby trailer every week; 5-10miles/day, every week day. We even make Costco runs. Bike paths, neighborhood streets, etc. Have figured out good safe routes and we always wind up in parks, playgrounds, open spaces where he can run around. That, plus my 5 mile round trip 3x/week commute to campus is the totality of my "base mileage" these days. While baby trailer miles are liable to be the most meaningful rides I'll ever do til my boy and I can ride together, the "real" bike rides for me occur maybe 2-3x/week after a stressful, slim time-margin baby handoff with my wife. And that means she's got to tag in and not go to the gym after work or whatever else. And then I drive like a bat out of hell to the local singletrack, ride for 75 minutes and then rush home to help with dinner & bedtime.

But I just discovered this and I can't tell if it would change our lives or if it's a bad idea and junior will get hurt.... there are a handful of similar devises out there where the kiddo hangs on for dear life (they all seem to love it in the reviews of these and similar). This would absolutely revolutionize MTB riding for me ... day trips to singletrack with impunity, fewer time-crunched childcare handoffs, etc.

Shotgun Kids MTB Seat: The Frame Mounted Bike Seat for Toddlers.
    – Kids Ride Shotgun

Mac Ride - Child bike seat

Anyone tried these or similar? Anyone think it's a good way for a little grom to ride? I also can't tell from either web site how fast you can really ride before you're a bad parent (I would absolutely be tempted to find that threshold and ride 1w below it, which I believe my daredevil toddler would appreciate).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MTB with babiez (this looks far out!)

Never used it one but have seen tons of them on commuter bikes. If nothing else it might be more fun than the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't gone offroad much with him yet, but I got the little fella that shotgun seat and handlebar for his second birthday. But he's also had a year on this seat beforehand.

I want to go offroad, and so I'm traning him to stand up on the pedals when we go over bumps (and shout 'whee', becuase it's fun).

I have, whilst waling up a mixed-use track (basically a steep gravel road) before work-hours, seen two different fathers come down the track with kids on two different types of those front-mounted bike seats (presumably mtb commuting, taking the long way past daycare dropoff). I plan to do it before too long. Once I am fit enough to ride up with the extra 20kg. The guys on the bikes with the kids weren't creeping slowly down the road, but the gravel is pretty smooth.

I'd do flowy but not techy tracks. The balance of the bike can shift unexpectedly if the 2-year-old decides to stand up unannounced (as well as he can hit me in the chin with his helmet), or if he decides to let go with one hand and turn around to talk to me. I expect that he'd focus on the track if it's interesting, he usually only turns around to show me a dog or something.

He could have probably handled it at 18 months, but I liked the idea of using a seat with seatbelts until I was sure he could hold onto the handlebars and balance for long enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't trust myself enough to put my little one on something like that for MTBing. Plus all our local trails are bumpy as hell. My wife wouldn't allow it either, she's seen me come home way too many times bloodied up haha.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a mac-ride an a 2.5yo son. I am easing him into trail riding as we only got the seat last fall but he loves it so far. I have been sticking to green XC trails so far and keeping rides really short like 20 minutes then having other fun activities. This summer I plan on ramping up the ride length and difficulty but still pretty easy trails far below my solo skill level. I also have the seat on my sentinel so there is lots of cush and stability, I think it would be cramped and sketchy on a short XC bike, flat pedals are also clutch for ease on on/off. We will also be incorporating his bike into the rides this summer, I figure I can carry him uphill or access to fun appropriate trails then let him ride and keep it as a bailout as he progresses.
    The mac-ride site has lots of videos of more extreme terrain than we have tried so people do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend that works for Tout-Terrain who make a cool MTB trailer and MTB trail-along contraption. I'd hazard a guess that it's safer to keep the centre of gravity lower when compared to having the child seat on the top tube. There are videos online of families ripping around with the trailer. Let me know if you're interested and I can put you in touch!

Singletrailer | Trailer | The Products | tout terrain

Streamliner | Trailer | The Products | tout terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 years ago when my son was that age, I was looking at options when a very well respected shop owner (and friend) said to me "I know you are a much better bike handler than most, but I don't care how good you are, sh*t happens and if you tip over and your kid is on the bike he is going down and he is strapped to the bike".
    I bought a trailer and rode places that it fit.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing strapped in with the mac-ride is feet and he could bail. Seeing as a little kid falls down all the time and is fine I don't think the risk is unreasonable. I am far more concerned about getting hit by a car when we commute on our cargo bike than a fall in the woods, but not be willing to live life is a risk too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I wouldn't use that myself. An accidental endo could have disastrous circumstances. I ripped around with a Chariot trailer with my kids when they were little and did some dumb things for sure, but I feel this design is inherently more risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    25 years ago when my son was that age, I was looking at options when a very well respected shop owner (and friend) said to me "I know you are a much better bike handler than most, but I don't care how good you are, sh*t happens and if you tip over and your kid is on the bike he is going down and he is strapped to the bike".
    I bought a trailer and rode places that it fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a couple people with the Mac Ride who like it. Matt Hunter (rides for specialized) has one and used it for both his kids. Chatted with him at a mutual friends wedding a few years back and he said that the kids loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Risk/reward, the tail risk on this screams NO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 3 cycling kids - older now, the oldest heading to UVM in the fall. I'd say "no" to this seat for such a little guy. Stupid stuff can happen at any time - a stick logded in the front wheel on the easiest trail could launch you both over the bars - with his feet strapped in that is a very bad scenario and even if he gets thrown or even "bails" you are following him over - not good. Once mine grew bored of the tailer they were on the "trail-a-bike" half bike trailer. Once they got used to that we'd hit some smooth singletrack once in a while - unfortunately not much of that here. As soon as they could ride by themselves we were on the trails - starting at 4 y/o for the youngest.

I say just suck it up. Do what you are doing and have fun with the boy now. He won't be little for long. Your "serious" biker days are on hold. It gets "worse" before it gets better: you'll spend many, many rides poking around at a crawling pace, using up all the time you might have had for a "real ride". Enjoy that - I'm not being sarcastic here.

If you do it right, you'll have actual riding partners soon enough. My time at the front of our family pack is in the past. The kids are all fast and braver than me. Everyone comments that, "it is so great all the kids like to ride, you are so lucky." And I am. But in my case what it took was essentially ending my "group ride" social rides and just riding with the kids or solo rips from the house. It took a change of outlook to keep me happy. You fit the bike into your life, not your life around the bike when you have the kids.

Ah- sorry about the lecture, I got carried away. But I still say no to the bike seat thing. Good luck! B
    Bob Spooner
    Departing from
    East Hampton, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this what you're looking for?