Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Bikes of Velocipede Salon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mountain Bikes of Velocipede Salon

I should have posted these here instead of another thread.
    My fifth frame and I finished the build today. Great timing of being sick so no riding yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how I peg the single track fun meter. Best time on a bike ever is with my wife on this beast
    Good for me she is a strong technical rider with a go for it attitude.
    Bad for me when I eff-up - kidney punches hurt.
    That's a 6" DUC32 with 24mm thru axle. The rear gets 4". King hubs, steel shell, bolt on.
    Brakes are hope 6-piston ti 203/185 with braided housing. it can stop with one finger
    XO shifting so I can trim the FD.
    Sherwood has built the gold standard for dirt tandems.

My single bike is a 2010 s-works stumpy FSR (140mm, 22#s)
    Her single bike is a 2013 Lush 29SL (120mm, Fox DOSS...she is really loving the big wheels)
    Daughter rides a 2008 safire FSR (120mm)
    Nothing better than family mountain biking with wife and daughter constantly yelping on who biffed and dabbed every trail challenge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    This is how I peg the single track fun meter. Best time on a bike ever is with my wife on this beast
    Good for me she is a strong technical rider with a go for it attitude.
    Bad for me when I eff-up - kidney punches hurt.
    That's a 6" DUC32 with 24mm thru axle. The rear gets 4". King hubs, steel shell, bolt on.
    Brakes are hope 6-piston ti 203/185 with braided housing. it can stop with one finger
    XO shifting so I can trim the FD.
    Sherwood has built the gold standard for dirt tandems.

My single bike is a 2010 s-works stumpy FSR (140mm, 22#s)
    Her single bike is a 2013 Lush 29SL (120mm, Fox DOSS...she is really loving the big wheels)
    Daughter rides a 2008 safire FSR (120mm)
    Nothing better than family mountain biking with wife and daughter constantly yelping on who biffed and dabbed every trail challenge
    Are you the crazy duo I see at EVERY race in the southeast? Including the Snake?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20131204_132518.jpg20130613_190628.jpg
    1998 Ted Wojcik converted to discs and repainted last year. Quiring 650b fork with 15mm thru.
    2013 Quiring 29er.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Are you the crazy duo I see at EVERY race in the southeast? Including the Snake?
    No, not us. We are 3500 miles west.
    Unlike the great trails I see in the NE and SE where its just ribbons of single track in the forest, everything here is cut into the side of a hill. so if you dont watch out you go down down down off a ledge. Or hit a redwood. Or slam into the side of the hill. Some of the tighter corners I have to carve up the exit in order to make sure I dont drop the rear tire off the trail. On the other hand, there is zero chance of endo so we can go down some pretty steep stuff. Like wise our uphill progress is really just traction limited since the front wheel won't wheelie. And, as for obstacles, you just hit them head on. 6" with 290#s behind it can run over most things in the way. Discs have completley changed what we can accomplish. In the days of cantis, my arms would pump up so much I couldnt grip the bar.
    to think we used to do this fully rigid too...OMFG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably many of you here have not driven a mtb tandem - the hardest thing is it steers by steering not by leaning. That means its an upper body workout as well as a constant assessment of front wheel traction. Most turns you have to go further into the turn to clear the rear. Discs (more than suspension) is the key design breakthrough (as well as a higher BB so no pedal strikes in v-outs). With more speed, you can do more thing. Lots of things in the past I wouldn't try because I wasn't confident I could change my line fast enough with cantis or Vs...now if I eff up, the 203/185 set up bails my sorry a$$ out. It helps to have a stoker who can ride the same things on her own. My wife has seen me over shoot some things and by her timing a weight throw to the other side actually helps me get the bike around - you should hear the woot-woot when that happens

A few years ago I finally nailed the tree shot...is a fast little ramp up that's maybe 1.5 hbars wide between two redwoods, hill on one side, drop off on the other side. I used to try the single track path but that wont let me clear the stoker bars. now I just go right at the big root and we blast that, as soon as I now she has cleared the trees I turn the wheel sharp left and then down the 4-5 root step down. the timing and the speed always hung me up.

Its a lot of fun - we get home, happy, tired, ready for beer and chips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably many of you here have not driven a mtb tandem - the hardest thing is it steers by steering not by leaning. That means its an upper body workout as well as a constant assessment of front wheel traction. Most turns you have to go further into the turn to clear the rear. Discs (more than suspension) is the key design breakthrough (as well as a higher BB so no pedal strikes in v-outs). With more speed, you can do more thing. Lots of things in the past I wouldn't try because I wasn't confident I could change my line fast enough with cantis or Vs...now if I eff up, the 203/185 set up bails my sorry a$$ out. It helps to have a stoker who can ride the same things on her own. My wife has seen me over shoot some things and by her timing a weight throw to the other side actually helps me get the bike around - you should hear the woot-woot when that happens

A few years ago I finally nailed the tree shot...is a fast little ramp up that's maybe 1.5 hbars wide between two redwoods, hill on one side, drop off on the other side. I used to try the single track path but that wont let me clear the stoker bars. now I just go right at the big root and we blast that, as soon as I now she has cleared the trees I turn the wheel sharp left and then down the 4-5 root step down. the timing and the speed always hung me up.

Without a GoPro video it never happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So rad. I'd love a road tandem for me and wife, so we could actually ride together without me feeling like I'm going to fall over 'cause we're going so slow. But going on the trails? Nah, that wouldn't work for us, she wouldn't enjoy it.

I've always wondered how you avoid pedal strikes on a tandem...

I've heard that whichever direction your marriage is going, a tandem will get you there faster.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Without a GoPro video it never happened.
    it's on my list...

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I've always wondered how you avoid pedal strikes on a tandem...
    I've heard that whichever direction your marriage is going, a tandem will get you there faster.
    1) the BB height is towering...it feels really weird the first time but once you get on dirt it all makes sense. for our Ventana the Captain BB Height is 14.20" (center of eccentric shell) and the Stoker BB Height: 13.50". think about that...towering! We used to pedal strike all the time on our Fisher and Ritchey....not any more.

2) true true true. I would be lying if some rides did not result in arguments. mainly because it is not our daily driver and it takes me a ride or so to re-dial my timing.

I once stokered on our bike for a guy who has excellent dirt skills. he went right at a double step up out of the shop and it scared the shit out of me. no idea how my wife copes back there. nevertheless, it takes two for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krull house.jpg

Quiring steel 29r. Background is a custom limestone home built by William Krull circa 1850ish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

284608_10150270947767147_266486_n.jpg
    Lynskey 29er, carbon Lefty, and Rohloff. I bought all of the parts second hand before I heard about Lynskey's reputation but it's been good to me so far. It's from before they were using silly twisty tubes and encouraging you to buy on EZ credit. I'll build my own frame to replace it eventually and relegate this guy to rigid single speed if it doesn't crack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_1300.jpgIMG_1301.jpg
    The single speed was built for me by friend Matt. I did the painting on it. The Ritchey has been with me since 96. It reads my mind on the trails. Others have come and gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two...

SPP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bikepacking rig

My do-everything rig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Efuentes - you are a man possessed with the spirt of adventure. Awesome bikes, they tell a story.
    Tell me a little more about the packs and fr. rack on your adventure bike. How is the front wheel flop when it is loaded and riding at speed? That rear pack looks perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daltex 29er, SRAM XX1

Daltex 29rrrr.jpg
    Glenn Thompson
    "More Frame, less Seatpost"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Efuentes - you are a man possessed with the spirt of adventure. Awesome bikes, they tell a story.
    Tell me a little more about the packs and fr. rack on your adventure bike. How is the front wheel flop when it is loaded and riding at speed? That rear pack looks perfect.
    Hi Too Tall, rear bag is a homemade gig, I just added some alloy struts to increase its stability, in the front after hanging bags from the handlebar for several years I decided on a front rack, usually the light bulky stuff goes there, not real issues on handling, I try to run about a cm less reach than usual on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took better pics today, happy to have fixed the problem with the PopLock

Cinelli_SoftMachine2002_Mk6.22.jpg

Cinelli_SoftMachine2002_Mk6.23.jpg

Scapin_Blato_Mk2.11.jpg

Scapin_Blato_Mk2.12.jpg
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest incarnation:

4d 61 72 6b 20 43 68 61 6e 64 6c 65 72

GRAVELBIKE.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I part-exchanged an unused road bike for a Cannondale Prophet last monday :

It's my first MTB. The previous owner barely used it. There was not even a small scratch and cabling, tires, rotors and pads are still the original ones. He still managed to fuck up the suspension settings. I downloaded and followed the original manual to set up the suspension to the default recommended settings for my weight and it works much better. Here it sits in "freeride" mode but I need to do direct back to back comparison to choose my favorite setting.
    --
    T h o m a s