Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

I'm building trails on my property. Its been a long time since I had an MTB. Looking for a 27.5+ hardtail, under $1500.

I'm having a hard time finding a better value than a Trek Roscoe 7.

A lot of other bikes in the sub-1500 range are equipped with Deore, which only has a 42T cassette. That seems...sub-optimal versus the 11-50 that would come with an SX Eagle group.

I've looked at Kona, Jamis, Giant, Fuji, Salsa...am I missing anything?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

At this price I would go used. Bikes depreciate like crazy, as we all know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read Caleb's Fuel thread. Consider me of a very similar mindset. I want a bike I can ride for a few years, not think too much or care too much about, and then replace in 2024 with whatever the industry has decided is the latest and greatest.

Rocky singletrack in the woods on my farm for ~60 minutes at a time, not a ton of elevation change, but very punchy when there is some.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    At this price I would go used. Bikes depreciate like crazy, as we all know.
    Yeah, but MTB tech changes so fast that I have a hard time believing worn 3 year old higher end components are going to function appreciably better than brand new SX Eagle or Shimano SLX...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Yeah, but MTB tech changes so fast that I have a hard time believing worn 3 year old higher end components are going to function appreciably better than brand new SX Eagle or Shimano SLX...
    you're a big boy right? 29er with 2.4s? Canyon? sorry for the drift.

(talked to a local who told me that bike inventories are getting thin. you're not at a great time for sales anyway but the supply lines drying up it's making it worse.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    you're a big boy right? 29er with 2.4s? Canyon? sorry for the drift.

(talked to a local who told me that bike inventories are getting thin. you're not at a great time for sales anyway but the supply lines drying up it's making it worse.)
    6'2" 210. I'm thinking more 27.5+. The wooded areas at my place are wooded because they were far too wet and rocky to ever think about clearing for farming, so I need all the contact patch I can get. But yes, I had not thought of Canyon, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is mostly flat you donít need the 50t cog and deore will shift better and be more reliable than sx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of you don't want xc geo, you could include Norco in your search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marin Pine Mountain or Ribble HT 725.

Are you sure you need a 50t cog ? I had Eagle 10x50 for a year or so, I sold the bike it came with and I reuse an old XX1 group with a 10-42 cassette on my current MTB. I swapped the 32t chainring that came standard with the crank by a 28t and now my 28x42t is almost as low as a 32x50t. I lost a bit of top end but it only really matters if you are racing or riding a lot and fast in the pavement to the trail.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah maybe but an XT or XTR group from 3/4 years ago that has been lightly used should be totally stellar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLX seems really sturdy but I heard really bad things about Sram SX. No idea if true or only usual sram bashing.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50t is an unbelievable gear, I would think, belonging on unbelievable terrain.
    Last edited by zambenini; 05-14-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Well the thing is once you have it you try climbs you would normally walk. And trust me even at 3mph you will still be faster than pushing your bike.

It definitely makes more sense on a plus bike where traction is rarely missing. Sometimed I wish I still had my 29+....which makes me remember I still have a front wheel and a spare 50mm wide rim...
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-14-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Marin Pine Mountain or Ribble HT 725.

Are you sure you need a 50t cog ? I had Eagle 10x50 for a year or so, I sold the bike it came with and I reuse an old XX1 group with a 10-42 cassette on my current MTB. I swapped the 32t chainring that came standard with the crank by a 28t and now my 28x42t is almost as low as a 32x50t. I lost a bit of top end but it only really matters if you are racing or riding a lot and fast in the pavement to the trail.
    Yeah, I'm going to be riding on tight singletrack with lots of rocks and not much elevation change, so its probably something I can live without. Its amazing to me looking at all these bikes with SRAM drivetrains and Shimano brakes. The last time I owned an MTB was maybe in 2011? SRAM couldn't make brakes then and apparently has not figured it out of the course of a decade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    anything shimano in the past 4 yrs is bomb proof even if heavily used - I have slammed my derailleur and chain/front chain ring against so many rocks and stones.

50t is way overkill unless you are running a 29r - 42T is more than enough - but some people just like the latest and greatest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received my XTR 10-51 cassette we will see if 51 is too much with the 32, I think it will come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Of you don't want xc geo, you could include Norco in your search.
    I don't really want XC geo, but I think Norco makes the wrong kind of not-XC geo.

What I really want is a cheapish production bike that mirrors an Eastern Woods Research...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm going to be riding on tight singletrack with lots of rocks and not much elevation change, so its probably something I can live without. Its amazing to me looking at all these bikes with SRAM drivetrains and Shimano brakes. The last time I owned an MTB was maybe in 2011? SRAM couldn't make brakes then and apparently has not figured it out of the course of a decade.
    I have always been a Shimano on mtn bikes and Campy on road bikes guy. BUT I have some mid grade Sram brakes on my latest mtn bike and like them. I'm sure they could be nit-picked but they work well, don't seem to squeal any sooner than others and have been service free as far I remember. They are good enough that I'm considering an AXS mullet on the gravel bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever you buy, you should do it soon. Our suppliers (Trek & Giant) have almost nothing in warehouses and not anticipating much before July. Shops have lowest inventory Iíve ever seen and Iím hearing the used bike market is similar. Weíre in a depression folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    Whatever you buy, you should do it soon. Our suppliers (Trek & Giant) have almost nothing in warehouses and not anticipating much before July. Shops have lowest inventory I’ve ever seen and I’m hearing the used bike market is similar. We’re in a depression folks
    So Rich, do you see this as a distribution issue, or are manufacturers cutting production severely?

I'm not in a huge rush to buy, but I might move faster if there are going to be deep and lasting production cuts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast