Thread: Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    The HT as Zach noted is normal-ish, the stays are as short as I can make them.

My trails are very tight. They are literally mine, so when I cut new trails, I can make them flow a little better. I may very well be complaining about my trail-building skills here, I don't know. But first step is to take down the bars - they are stupid wide.

I am never going to be riding downhill at warp speed, at least not at my house. I've already figured out that I need to slide way forward to keep the front end from lifting and wandering all over the place on even moderate climbs. The Salsa frame was a ~$400 experiment, and may very well wind up getting replaced with something else, we shall see. It seemed to be on the more moderate side of the new school.
    I'm guessing you built your trails a little tight and will get used to the new geo in time. For what it's worth, when i got my FS superfly 29er in 2015, I had last ridden a 2001 Trek 8000 hard tail with (I think) an 80 mm fork.

The first three or four rides felt like riding a motorcycle, and not in a good way. I seriously thought about exchanging it. but then I started railing corners and I could never go back. I did cut about 15 mm off either bar end and I absolutely love it. Come on down to Michaux, i will (distanced) take you on some older and some new trails and you can see for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to talk you in or out of your bike; just sharing my recent experience.

I bought a 2019 dual suspension trail MTB after riding a 2008 XC HT for years. Both 29ers. The FS bike has 67 degree HTA, vs 70 for the HT.

The first few rides on the new bike were uninspired. I wondered if I had made the wrong choice.

Then I put tires more to my liking on it, and dialed in the stem length-and the more I rode, the more I liked it. It took me a number of rides to get comfortable. I'm very happy with it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've been off MTBs completely for 7-8 years. Road bikes with 12cm of drop and 130 stems are...not this. Glad to hear that others have had a period of adjustment and things got better.

I'm not sure if the bars are 760 or 800. I think getting them down to the 700 range would help immensely.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That bike can easily take 29er wheels as well. If you can't get used to the 27.5 tires, I would see if you can at least borrow some 29er wheels. Add 2.3 tires, and that bike will be much more lively. I love my Ti version with a 100-120 fork and 29er wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    That bike can easily take 29er wheels as well. If you can't get used to the 27.5 tires, I would see if you can at least borrow some 29er wheels. Add 2.3 tires, and that bike will be much more lively. I love my Ti version with a 100-120 fork and 29er wheels.
    Despite the title of the thread, I would up going 29. I'm running Maxxis DHF 2.5 front and rear on a set of Mavic DeeMax Pro wheels.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no wonder if feels like a tractor, you put tractor tires on there :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, those tires are pretty sluggish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I'm running Maxxis DHF 2.5 front and rear on a set of Mavic DeeMax Pro wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    no wonder if feels like a tractor, you put tractor tires on there :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Yeah, those tires are pretty sluggish.
    I'll try to keep this in mind the next time my friend outruns me on a twisty descent covered with fresh waxy oak leaves, aboard his Surly Krampus shod with Maxxis Minions.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tractor has turf tires, and the rears are pretty worn. I think they have less tread depth than the DHFs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    How wide are the bars? did you get the full 800 or did they give you what I'd consider reasonable at 700-720?
    You keep giving this advice, but it's really really wrong and outdated. Everyone, please don't cut nice good bars to 700 or 720!

This is honestly like suggesting a current road rider should try toe clips. You may love them, but no one else does for good reasons. We understand that the vintage bike folks might enjoy toe clips for the archaic thrill of it all, and they work perfectly fine in a sense, but it's a really bad idea for normal people who aren't into being old fashioned for fun.

The only people left who ride bars this short are old guys on expensive custom hardtails that are 15 years behind the times and World Cup pro level riders who have nothing to do with how the rest of us ride bikes. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-v...tt-sparks.html

Modern bikes are designed for 50 - 70 stems and 740 - 760 bars. It really really works well. You have enough leverage to not get knocked off course by every little obstacle so your technical handling improves dramatically, and you have stable steering at high speeds so you ride safer and faster and calmer.

If you really need to test this internet advice, there are tons of too short bars in every single MTB parts box in every shop for free. Try if you like, just don't ruin a nice set of bars over this advice...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jesseth View Post
    You keep giving this advice, but it's really really wrong and outdated. Everyone, please don't cut nice good bars to 700 or 720!

This is honestly like suggesting a current road rider should try toe clips. You may love them, but no one else does for good reasons. We understand that the vintage bike folks might enjoy toe clips for the archaic thrill of it all, and they work perfectly fine in a sense, but it's a really bad idea for normal people who aren't into being old fashioned for fun.

The only people left who ride bars this short are old guys on expensive custom hardtails that are 15 years behind the times and World Cup pro level riders who have nothing to do with how the rest of us ride bikes. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-v...tt-sparks.html

Modern bikes are designed for 50 - 70 stems and 740 - 760 bars. It really really works well. You have enough leverage to not get knocked off course by every little obstacle so your technical handling improves dramatically, and you have stable steering at high speeds so you ride safer and faster and calmer.

If you really need to test this internet advice, there are tons of too short bars in every single MTB parts box in every shop for free. Try if you like, just don't ruin a nice set of bars over this advice...
    you're talking about 720's like they're 650's and that this is a one size fits all situation. 720 vs 750 is the equivalent of a pinky knuckle's difference in width. Yeah, wider bars lower your control forces. They also cause you to scrape trees on old school eastern style single track which is what the OP is complaining about.

I don't care if it's new geometry or old, XC bikes get narrower bars than downhill, enduro, or trail bikes. Lots of new bikes are still coming spec'd with 720 mm handlebars. Nino Schurter is faster and better than all of us and still rides a fairly narrow handlebar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I don't care if it's new geometry or old, XC bikes get narrower bars than downhill, enduro, or trail bikes. Lots of new bikes are still coming spec'd with 720 mm handlebars. Nino Schurter is faster and better than all of us and still rides a fairly narrow handlebar.
    If you buy a top of the line Scott Spark Nino replica it comes with 740 bars stock. Nino rides narrower bars because he's faster and better than all of us.

Richie Rude rides 740 bars on his race enduro bike, but I'm weak and not Richie so I have to ride 780s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jesseth View Post
    If you buy a top of the line Scott Spark Nino replica it comes with 740 bars stock. Nino rides narrower bars because he's faster and better than all of us.

Richie Rude rides 740 bars on his race enduro bike, but I'm weak and not Richie so I have to ride 780s.
    again, you're making it sound like a 720 mm bar isn't wide. it is. it just isn't downhill or trail bike wide. stop talking in absolutes. it's about horses for courses. if you're mostly riding tight eastern single track and are having issues with scrapping trees...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234