Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for a cheapish 27.5+ hardtail

Looks like a fun bike. What rigid fork did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fork is Chinese carbon - nothing special. I don't think suspension is going to do a whole lot for me 95% of the time and prefer to keep it simple.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said you're on the hunt for tires. Let me caution against those Ardents mentioned. JoB knows his terrain, but I rode them on mine, which I suspect isn't as rocky as PA, and shredded several of them before I wised up. They are so light and supple though.

If you want tough and knobby, I had good success with WTB Trail Bosses. I have a used/VGC set you can try on the quite cheap if you want. I am an XC rider and ride XC trails, so they were too much tire for me. Now I am loving both the grip and the weight of Vittoria Barzo/Mezcals right now. Competitive Cyclist always seems to have them on sale. I would ride them a lot of places - goldilocks for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    The fork is Chinese carbon - nothing special. I don't think suspension is going to do a whole lot for me 95% of the time and prefer to keep it simple.
    Sorry to pry, I was just curious about the fork span, or axle to crown distance that you chose for that frame.

I enjoy my 29er HT with a rigid fork much of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i've heard this about the Ardent as well (that it wears fast). So far that hasn't been my experience. i have the EXO which is supposed to increase sidewall integrity which is nice to have around here. so far it's holding up well!

I've also had good luck with the Spec Ground Control but haven't had one in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    You said you're on the hunt for tires. Let me caution against those Ardents mentioned. JoB knows his terrain, but I rode them on mine, which I suspect isn't as rocky as PA, and shredded several of them before I wised up. They are so light and supple though.

If you want tough and knobby, I had good success with WTB Trail Bosses. I have a used/VGC set you can try on the quite cheap if you want. I am an XC rider and ride XC trails, so they were too much tire for me. Now I am loving both the grip and the weight of Vittoria Barzo/Mezcals right now. Competitive Cyclist always seems to have them on sale. I would ride them a lot of places - goldilocks for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Sorry to pry, I was just curious about the fork span, or axle to crown distance that you chose for that frame.
    No problem! It is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Moun...72.m2749.l2649

Basically the specs of the Salsa Firestarter fork, without the braze-on equivalent of cargo shorts with 19 pockets...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post

My home terrain is very similar to the JoB terrain, and I will be in his specific neck of the woods often enough to be paying close attention.

Fun story, I once mounted a brand new set of Michelin UST tires on my Titus, drove two hours to Michaux, and put a 4-6" gash in the sidewall on the rear mere minutes after turning off the fire road. It was on a shakedown run prior to competing in the Wilderness 101, so I was glad to destroy them before they ruined my race, but moral of the story Central PA is not kind to tires.

I'm definitely Trail Boss curious. What width are they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Get the 12 speed SLX group and brakes.
    I wound up with M7100 brakes and M7000 for everything else. Crank has a 30T ring and I got an 11-46 cassette - I have no idea what that means or if it will be OK until I start riding - but don't feel like I am giving up much overall range versus a 10-51.

Parts are trickling in - but I should have it all together by next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've been pleased as punch with my 26.5 x 3" Special__ed Purgatory tires. Prior to that size I ran them in 29 x 2.2" and 29" x 2.3" (which were the same tire, just marked differently). I think they're the Control variant. Set up nice and easy tubeless (have had to return one because the sidewall weeped excessively), run true, traction is good on rocks and roots, and the sidewalls have been solid (knock on wood).

They start looking ragged at 800-900 miles and that's when I start thinking about replacing them. If I have opportunity to demount them I will, like to put studs on in winter, and then on remount swap front-to-back and reverse rotation. I start them at 18 psig front and 20 psig rear, and let them coast down over a week or two until I feel the occasional rim kiss.

Special__ed started as a tire company and they're still damn good, imho/atmo/ipso-fatso.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its here. Done a few 30-45 minute rides knocking around in the woods. Anyone want to trade for a 26" hardtail with a 42" wheelbase?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What don't you like? Too long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has the turning radius of a dump truck. People actually like riding these things? All the trails that I have built so far are going to need some adjusting to account for bar width and such.

Granted, I've been off MTBs for about a decade. Maybe I need some time to adjust, and maybe my glasses are rose colored. But, I remember this being more fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I demo'ed just a few plus hardtails (Norco, Specialized) and I found a big difference in feel between brands and models. I preferred the fit of the Norco to the Specialized, but the Specialized (the Fuse plus bike) rode lighter and felt easier to maneuver on twisty singletrack with medium tech, particularly uphill.

Bar width and shape was also a thing for me. I see a lot of experienced trail riders cut them down a bit. I like more backward sweep, more of a motocross shape than what I find on stock bikes. I've bookmarked SQlab for higher sweep options: https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/handlebars/

Re: the Timberjack, I haven't ridden a Salsa but I tend to associate their bikes with multi-day bikepacking rather than energetic trail riding.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I demo'ed just a few plus hardtails (Norco, Specialized) and I found a big difference in feel between brands and models. I preferred the fit of the Norco to the Specialized, but the Specialized (the Fuse plus bike) rode lighter and felt easier to maneuver on twisty singletrack with medium tech, particularly uphill.

Bar width and shape was also a thing for me. I see a lot of experienced trail riders cut them down a bit. I like more backward sweep, more of a motocross shape than what I find on stock bikes. I've bookmarked SQlab for higher sweep options: https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/handlebars/

Re: the Timberjack, I haven't ridden a Salsa but I tend to associate their bikes with multi-day bikepacking rather than energetic trail riding.
    I have not ridden the Special__ed Fuse plus bike but I've ridden with one. We boogied, so it was a good match with the 44.

Ditto on the reasonable-width bars and sweep. I have the Answer 20/20s in the standard 72-cm width. Very very happy with that unit, and the ends of my grips tell me I still make contact with trees a little too often. The occasional crunched pinky is a more firm and lasting reminder.

Another bike that comes to mind, also never ridden but it's been a dance partner, is the Surly Krampus. One friend has has tried several other bikes (with more "modern" geo and/or more suspension) and keeps coming back to the full-rigid Krampus. It's a 29 plus, with monster Minion knobbies, but man does that thing boogie through the twisties. And one place those knobs shine is on the fresh waxy oak leaves that will soon coat our trails. Please leave the leaves and don't blow the trails!
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just in case anyone is looking for a medium 27.5+ thunder mountain a bikes Sedona has this roscoe:
    https://www.thundermountainbikes.com...ck-medium.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has the turning radius of a dump truck. People actually like riding these things? All the trails that I have built so far are going to need some adjusting to account for bar width and such.

Granted, I've been off MTBs for about a decade. Maybe I need some time to adjust, and maybe my glasses are rose colored. But, I remember this being more fun.
    Is this one of these super slack HT angle modern bike ? If so, yes these things don't turn well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Is this one of these super slack HT angle modern bike ? If so, yes these things don't turn well.
    it's slack but I wouldn't describe it as super slack. Salsa geometry chart has it at 67.6 degrees. That's relaxed from the 69-70 deg headtube angled bikes we were all riding a decade ago but less slack than similar bikes from other manufacturers and way less slack than what you'd get out of the progressive mtb crowd.

I have no idea what the OP's local trails look like. If everything is so tight that he might be faster just running it, maybe something like a Bearclaw Beowulf would work better for him. or just trim the handlebar and get an angleset.

https://bearclawbicycleco.com/beowul...mountain-bike/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think OP just need to adapt is riding style if his habits comes from 10y ago. You have to put way more weight on the front wheel on modern mountain bike to make them turn and show them who is the boss. Yes they can feel like dump truck at low speed if you are sitting passively on the seat. But he will thanks for this evolution when you he go downhill at warp speed while he would have backed off in fear of crashing in a wobble on an old 26"hardtail
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The HT as Zach noted is normal-ish, the stays are as short as I can make them.

My trails are very tight. They are literally mine, so when I cut new trails, I can make them flow a little better. I may very well be complaining about my trail-building skills here, I don't know. But first step is to take down the bars - they are stupid wide.

I am never going to be riding downhill at warp speed, at least not at my house. I've already figured out that I need to slide way forward to keep the front end from lifting and wandering all over the place on even moderate climbs. The Salsa frame was a ~$400 experiment, and may very well wind up getting replaced with something else, we shall see. It seemed to be on the more moderate side of the new school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The HT as Zach noted is normal-ish, the stays are as short as I can make them.

My trails are very tight. They are literally mine, so when I cut new trails, I can make them flow a little better. I may very well be complaining about my trail-building skills here, I don't know. But first step is to take down the bars - they are stupid wide.

I am never going to be riding downhill at warp speed, at least not at my house. I've already figured out that I need to slide way forward to keep the front end from lifting and wandering all over the place on even moderate climbs. The Salsa frame was a ~$400 experiment, and may very well wind up getting replaced with something else, we shall see. It seemed to be on the more moderate side of the new school.
    How wide are the bars? did you get the full 800 or did they give you what I'd consider reasonable at 700-720?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast