Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KT is getting smaller...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: KT is getting smaller...

I've been heading up to KT for 15 years now. Started out as a "fellas" trip and then has morphed into a "families" trip in the last 8 years or so. We have definitely noticed how popular it has become in the last 3 years. We arrange our riding accordingly: ride on the Burke side in the morning while everyone is riding Darling hill and then ride Darling Hill after lunch when everyone is boozing it up at the Tiki bar. Always works. In the past 3-4 years the "kids" portion of the families have taken off for an afternoon ride by themselves. KT is a place they could get out on a 20 mile self guided adventure. Those adventures were great for the kids. The only complaint that they had was that old farts would never let them by - this is where they first learned that us cyclists are generally assholes.

And that general assholery is what got those trails closed. It really is too bad - those 3 landowners carved the heart out of Darling Hill - including "Riverwood" arguably the best kid/family friendly trail of the whole system. The fact that those 3 landowners acted together says to me that it is more of a statement about cyclists in general than one of the landowners getting hassled. That and the additional fact that their land is still open to everyone else: hikers, skiers, *snowmobilers*, etc.

In retrospect the worst thing that could have happened to KT was NEMBAfest - bringing 5000 cyclists there for a single weekend. I'll be interested to see what NEMBA does with the 2020 fest, which is scheduled for KT.

Finally, if you are bottle-necking a pack of kids just move over and let them by. They are faster than you, just get over it.

Good day - B
    Bob Spooner
    Departing from
    East Hampton, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Why's that?

I happen to really enjoy my "modern mountain bikes" that are made of plastic and have 6" of suspension travel. I also enjoy rigid singlespeeding, and my steel hardtail with a 4" fork and 72* head angle.
    It has nothing to do with bike material and suspension travel. It's more suspension design and intended use. I use "modern mountain bikes" in quotes, because Suspect up above used the term. What he's referring to is enduro bikes, or bikes wholly (mostly) intended to go downhill. Bikes intended to be shuttled back up to the top of a trail, or something that can pedal well enough to make it back up to the top of a climb. As a bicycle, they aren't designed to pedal all that well, that's not really the goal, which is ironic given that they are bicycles. It's a not a bike you would want to pedal to a trailhead or take on a backcountry trip. They are the track bikes of the MTB world.

I also disagree with the notion that somehow feature packed trails are somehow more inclusive of current riders, or next generation of riders. Nothing speaks inclusivity like needing a multi-thousand dollar machine to handle the mishaps from mis-judging a 30 ft gap. It's not really an option, it's kind of a must have bike, and the bikes are anything but cheap.

"Traditional," for lack of a better term, mountain biking is simple with no special machinery (bike or tools) required. Also, groomed feature-less flow trails, are not what Suspect is talking about, or at least that's my interpretation. Groomed flow trails have been around for a long time, but what's new are these highly mechanized trail builds packed full of jumps, etc.

I'm no spring chicken, but I'm still sub-40 years old and enjoy descending a mountain just as much as anyone, but I also enjoy clearing a tricky climb. I like to ride fast through slow rock gardens. I enjoy learning hard lines, and subsequently, all the work that goes into learning those hard lines. You won't see me attempting huge gap jumps. I have a mortgage and kids and the penalty for failure isn't intriguing. I like to ride to the top of hills to take in the views and then enjoy the rush back down. I don't like to ride the same trail over and over and over. I mostly enjoy riding with friends, new and old.

If hitting repeated jumps is your jam, then by all means have a good time. I'm not against it. I don't see this as an either/or scenario. I think there is a place for all of the above, but there seems to be a theme of negativity in this thread towards just riding your bike in the woods on good old rugged trails.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post

And that general assholery is what got those trails closed. It really is too bad - those 3 landowners carved the heart out of Darling Hill - including "Riverwood" arguably the best kid/family friendly trail of the whole system. The fact that those 3 landowners acted together says to me that it is more of a statement about cyclists in general than one of the landowners getting hassled. That and the additional fact that their land is still open to everyone else: hikers, skiers, *snowmobilers*, etc
    Agree on kids, but they severed the VAST snowmobile trails too, not just bikes. Winter KT map: Kingdom Trails updated map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Bikes were pretty much terrifying a decade ago, even when they had pre-production candy on them. You could ride a hardtail with Yo Eddy geometry or a 6Ē bike with Yo Eddy geometry. Product managers were super focused on things like ďpedal bobĒ because there was a crazy range of final drive output diameters due to 3(!) chainrings. If it werenít for the Enduro World Series, trail bikes would probably still suck, and beginner and intermediate mountain bikers would continue not to exist.
    I'm going to give Kona the credit for argument's sake.

2015 Kona Process 111: 67.5 degree head angle, 475 reach in a L, only 111 mm of rear travel. To the reviewers it was a confusing "light enduro bike". "It's so slack, but doesn't have any rear travel!"

2020 Trek Top Fuel. 67.5 degree head angle, 470 reach in a L, 115 mm rear travel. In 2019 the Top Fuel was their superlight Race XC bike, one year later it's basically identical to the 2015 Process, just 4 pounds lighter and can fit a water bottle. Geometry finally fixed, ever if no one is going to be launching 30' air on it contrary to the belief of what this geometry is "supposed" to be for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jesseth View Post
    Agree on kids, but they severed the VAST snowmobile trails too, not just bikes. Winter KT map: Kingdom Trails updated map
    Wow!
    This has to piss off the snowmobile folks. It is these folks that built and maintained the vast majority of trails that became mtb trails in New England decades before mtb showed anywhere.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I also disagree with the notion that somehow feature packed trails are somehow more inclusive of current riders, or next generation of riders.
    I have to add an aye aye to Will's point. I don't dispute what Mickey and others are seeing in traffic and demographics, however, I think there are some mixing of categories when we're talking about newer and machine built trails ... the hoop de doos at my local singletrack, Brumely Forest here in NC, and the berms and jumps at my previous one, Percy Warner Park in Nashville, TN, both featured some machine-cut flow trails. They rule, and while I only ever rode 'em on a singlespeed XC bike, I can see how even their more adventurous parts would be inviting to a plucky kid or parents and kids riding together and how parts of them would be fun on "new" bikes.

However. Gaps (especially of the distance mentioned above), big jumps, all the dh-oriented stuff, the features if you will, are the opposite of inclusive to me. I look at that stuff and wonder if any of the local ERs are in-network. Not what I want my budding bike rider of a little tyke on in a million years. Don't care how good he gets. With the bikes and the trails alike, the focus of the sport from where I sit looks like:chug a redbull, make a video (what dorky people did on the berms at Percy Warner), and get gnarly. Mountain biking as it once was is pretty sedate by comparison IMO. Nothing wrong with that, nor with getting your heart rate up while pedaling uphill a wee bit. Again, I don't think it's a zero sum game between factions in MTB now, but I don't think fair to characterize all of the new trails as inclusive, especially when we're talking about land use.

Another trail story: I rode up one of the bigger climbs in Bent Creek in Asheville after a few years away from there. On the super fun downhill, I about killed myself - somebody had been up there with a bobcat and it was way different than when I had ridden it years ago. Cool trail for someone, but I look at it and think, ok, we're seven miles from the trailhead (only 2mi if you drove your 4Runner up the NF roads to bypass the "boring" trails), and we've got these gaps and jumps on a steep bloody trail. Who is going to evacuate somebody with a shattered rib cage who eats it? MTB in the classic sense maybe risked a collar bone or a sprained wrist. I know I sound like I have a rod where the sun don't shine, but I've had orthopedic surgery twice in my short 34 years and I have had enough of that stuff.

At the end of the day, though, time in the woods is time well spent.
    Last edited by zambenini; 01-06-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I have to add an aye aye to Will's point. I don't dispute what Mickey and others are seeing in traffic and demographics, however, I think there are some mixing of categories when we're talking about newer and machine built trails ... the hoop de doos at my local singletrack, Brumely Forest here in NC, and the berms and jumps at my previous one, Percy Warner Park in Nashville, TN, both featured some machine-cut flow trails. They rule, and while I only ever rode 'em on a singlespeed XC bike, I can see how even their more adventurous parts would be inviting to a plucky kid or parents and kids riding together and how parts of them would be fun on "new" bikes.

However. Gaps (especially of the distance mentioned above), big jumps, all the dh-oriented stuff, the features if you will, are the opposite of inclusive to me. I look at that stuff and wonder if any of the local ERs are in-network. Not what I want my budding bike rider of a little tyke on in a million years. Don't care how good he gets. With the bikes and the trails alike, the focus of the sport from where I sit looks like:chug a redbull, make a video (what dorky people did on the berms at Percy Warner), and get gnarly. Mountain biking as it once was is pretty sedate by comparison IMO. Nothing wrong with that, nor with getting your heart rate up while pedaling uphill a wee bit. Again, I don't think it's a zero sum game between factions in MTB now, but I don't think fair to characterize all of the new trails as inclusive, especially when we're talking about land use.
    I think y'all are sort of proving Mickey's point, that there is a generation of riders who can only visualize two kinds of trail, old fashioned rake-and-ride single track and scary Red Bull testosterone driven gap jump trails, and haven't yet seen clearly enough the in-between thing that is becoming explosively popular because it's neither of the above.

The whole conversation started because of Kingdom Trail's already gigantic ridership growing to such a point that access is being lost. Kingdom Trails is the mellowest trail center you might ever find if you haven't been there. Smooth flowing dirt sidewalks for miles, with lots of berms to keep you from flying off the trail, and the occasional little rock drop off to the side that 90% of the people avoid or never notice, without any major climbs. There isn't a gap jump or dh-orieriented feature to be seen for 70+ miles of rolling single track.

The whole thesis under discussion here is that bikes that were influenced by stable-steering enduro geometry but only have enough suspension travel to smooth out bumps because their riders will never leave the ground, combined with gentle bermed easy pedaling hardened trails are leading to massive ridership growth in a way that older riders don't like or can't understand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@mickey: Do you have any pictures or links to shots of trail projects you've helped build? That may really help the discussion.

I know what Kingdom's trails are like and to Jesseth's point, the vast majority of the network's pretty mellow. I haven't been up in a few years due to the increase in traffic. The increase in the network here right out the shop doors has me a bit spoiled. I've been meaning to get out to the Food Network in Keene to see what those guys have been up to.

Cutting the Snowmobiler's off like that up in KT? Not sure why the landowners did that too, unless usage has grown in that department as well over the years. We have a huge network I tap into when the snow's too deep in the woods and it's a blessing those guys put in so much work to groom the trails each winter. It's saved my sanity each winter - I'll be donating to the Lyndeborough/Wilton Wanderers for sure this season.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shredô
    www.44bikes.comFlickr FacebookInstagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the map shows that the VAST trail is closed to mt (snow) bikers, but not to snowmobilers. My sled contacts up there have not heard anything about a closure to them on VAST. B
    Bob Spooner
    Departing from
    East Hampton, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think y'all are sort of proving Mickey's point, that there is a generation of riders who can only visualize two kinds of trail, old fashioned rake-and-ride single track and scary Red Bull testosterone driven gap jump trails, and haven't yet seen clearly enough the in-between thing that is becoming explosively popular because it's neither of the above.
    I think I have a good grasp on the various types of trails. For as long as I've been riding, there has been smooth, fast, flow trails. Roller coaster type stuff. Super fun. Then there has been chunkier east coast rock gardens. Then you have straight up back country with a ruggedness due to low traffic volume. I have admittedly never been to KT, and that's only because my impression has been that it is all fairly tame and flowy. I don't need to ride very far to ride that now, and I can ride much more challenging terrain closer to my house (you've got to love Central Pa).

The topic of "modern trails" was brought into the mix. That definition seemed to be clearly defined as directional and feature packed. Features to me are gaps, big gaps. Log rides, rock gardens, berms, etc, are traditional. Man made gaps, jumps, step-ups, etc are modern.

It would seem that KT is losing access because of a lack of respect for landowners.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    @mickey: Do you have any pictures or links to shots of trail projects you've helped build? That may really help the discussion.

I know what Kingdom's trails are like and to Jesseth's point, the vast majority of the network's pretty mellow. I haven't been up in a few years due to the increase in traffic. The increase in the network here right out the shop doors has me a bit spoiled. I've been meaning to get out to the Food Network in Keene to see what those guys have been up to.

Cutting the Snowmobiler's off like that up in KT? Not sure why the landowners did that too, unless usage has grown in that department as well over the years. We have a huge network I tap into when the snow's too deep in the woods and it's a blessing those guys put in so much work to groom the trails each winter. It's saved my sanity each winter - I'll be donating to the Lyndeborough/Wilton Wanderers for sure this season.
    Unsurprisingly we mostly seem to take pictures of jumps! The majority of the trails we built this year were bikepark-style flow in new "trail center" plots of land that municipalities have opened up to 501c3/private trail development. Down here in VA where every climb is at least a thousand feet, there is real need for more stuff to ride closer to homes/parking lots. Mountainbiking shouldn't be reserved only for people with peak physical fitness. This area is super Oldschool (like New England) when it comes to mountainbiking, with a few local XC races meeting or surpassing their 30 year anniversaries, so building bikepark style trail(aka dirt rollercoasters) has been the foot in the door to doing modern work deeper in the woods. Local mountainbikers and managers who didn't travel many hours to ride MTB specific trails didn't know what we were talking about...

First go at trying to embed Instagram vids on Vsalon, so I won't be surprised if this formatting is wack. (edit: the formatting is WACK)

Code:
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;">
    View this post on Instagram
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 224px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 144px;">

A post shared by Mickey (@therealmickeyd413) on

Code:
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)">
    #f4f4f4 ; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);">
    #f4f4f4 ; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);">

Grommageddon

Code:

#takeakidmountainbikingday

Code:

PC @michaelcarnrike #helmyeah

Code:

Building and riding jumps in VA is fun. Expect to see much more of this. #mtb #virginia #bike

A post shared by Michael Carnrike @michaelcarnrike) on

mickey.denoncourt
    BRCA
    Eastern Trail Co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: KT is getting smaller...

Terrific and insightful thread that riders anywhere can use to help preserve terrain access.
    Thank you for the interesting info and the help with recognizing what might impact access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The New Caledonian Record had another article about community frustrations up in East Burke yesterday.
    Typical locals complaining about traffic and rudeness, but once again it comes back to the heart of the problem: people love Kingdom, that Kingdom Magic isnít something that people have at home. And itís the accessibility of the trail system that makes it so popular.
    mickey.denoncourt
    BRCA
    Eastern Trail Co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    The New Caledonian Record had another article about community frustrations up in East Burke yesterday.
    Link? Please.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iím down in Florida riding jumps and trying not to drown in the surf, and I canít figure out how to link anything from my phone,
    But hereís a link to a Burke community Facebook thread about said article :
    Burke Area Community Forum Public Group | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's an interesting take. Nothing to do with the bikes themselves, and the trails themselves, other than the fact that more users means more interactions. And maybe more idiots.

The owners who have locked out bikers have had a lot of
    problems with bikers while riding their horses. They are
    beyond frustrated at the lack of common courtesy they are
    extended on their own land. To be honest we are too.
    There's a percentage of bikers who just don't get it.

That's a quote in the article linked above, from a landowner's post on social media. He also offers the advice to "pretend anyone you encounter runs the property."

Not a bad idea.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously. how hard is it to be respectful and kind?

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    That's an interesting take. Nothing to do with the bikes themselves, and the trails themselves, other than the fact that more users means more interactions. And maybe more idiots.

The owners who have locked out bikers have had a lot of
    problems with bikers while riding their horses. They are
    beyond frustrated at the lack of common courtesy they are
    extended on their own land. To be honest we are too.
    There's a percentage of bikers who just don't get it.

That's a quote in the article linked above, from a landowner's post on social media. He also offers the advice to "pretend anyone you encounter runs the property."

Not a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was an eye-opening article. Riders should strive to be courteous and good ambassadors for cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good (new) article and interview with Abby Long the Executive Director of the Kingdom Trials Association. Outlines the issues and what they are looking to do in order to make things better and more sustainable.
    There are a couple of comments to the article that align with what has been covered in this thread regarding the lack of understanding by some visitors that they are in fact visitors and it is not a MTB version of the Truman Show.
    Also in the comments there a couple of locals that are close to the situation and are trying to squelch some fo the rumors flying around.

Interview: Abby Long, Executive Director of the Kingdom Trail Association - Pinkbike
    Brian McLaughlin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast