User Tag List

Thread: Intrigued by the Vittoria Mezcal with graphene

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intrigued by the Vittoria Mezcal with graphene

So intrigued, I think I just bought the last two readily available. For this new set of 650b wheels, I was going to run the Ikons. Happy with them in the past. But I have been reading about this graphene material...bonded carbon atoms in a sheet that form a very durable layer one atom thick. Essentially a layer of carbon. Nano-scale stuff. From what I gather, Vittoria is the only user of this technology at this time. The graphene they are using is >2 atoms thick. When added to the tire, it is supposed to allow the tire to deflect depending on the situation i.e. cornering resulting in gobs of grip. The graphene is supposed to make it more grippy, more durable and weight is not too shabby. Guess I'll find out...as soon as I can decide on a rim!

Guy
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Intrigued by the Vittoria Mezcal with graphene

I have been riding a pair of prototype tires since early summer. Really like mine. Rode them at almost every race and in all conditions. Maybe not a mud tire, but they were awesome everywhere else!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps the only tire that has my interest beyond the Maxxis Ikons... I prefer a bigger tire and would love to see them measured up on the XC Nox to see how they compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have mine mounted on NOX rims. I don't know what they measure out at, but big. I can put some calipers on them tomorrow.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I wonder how much more durable the new ones are compared to the old Geax mezcal tires. The two geax I had met an early demise due to sidewall cuts... maybe it was just dumb luck. I liked the tires for the few rides I had on each of them.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how much more durable the new ones are compared to the old Geax mezcal tires. The two geax I had met an early demise due to sidewall cuts... maybe it was just dumb luck. I liked the tires for the few rides I had on each of them.
    I'm a big fan of the Geax (Vittoria) tires as well, and like you, had some sidewall cuts. If I rode somewhere with less pointy objects it would be a good tire choice.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crud, just bought some (regular) Mezcals. Hope the sidewalls hold up. Good thing they were only $12/each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ineff View Post
    I have mine mounted on NOX rims. I don't know what they measure out at, but big. I can put some calipers on them tomorrow.
    2.25? That'd be awesome. Used the 2.35 Ikon religiously...before TSE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I understand, since they are now being made with graphene, durability has greatly improved. I don't think this was the case when they were Geax. I have been reading some long term test results and all indications are positive.

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tires are 58mm/2.28" wide on NOX Skyline rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody says that the specialized S-Works fast track I have are paper thin so I will have to look for something soon. I was leaning towards Ikon but these look like something nice to try. Assuming they can be installed on a specialized 2bliss carbon rim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damm QBP has zero in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    Damm QBP has zero in stock.
    Hah! All my fault...I will still be using your sealant though!!!

NFazzio is my brother...just so y'all know.

You need to get you some before the Tour.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the Mezcal. Got my new wheels the other day. It was time to mount the tires. Stans crest rims with gorilla tape. One layer of gorilla tape.

I tried and tried to mount the tires by myself. It just wasn't happening. It would require more hands and more muscle than I had. Had to enlist the help of my brother. It took the both of us to wrestle these on my wheels. An insanely tight fit. Tightest I have ever dealt with. Both of us have mounted tubeless tires by ourselves in the past, no issues. However these were different. It took both of us. I was using tire levers while my brother did his best rolling them over the rims. We eventually got them on.

We had a few issues after we added sealant. The bead was so tight it was interfering with the valve stem and preventing them from sealing. We had to wrestle with the tire and try and spread the bead off the valve stem so the valve would sit and seal properly. Ultimately, we were successful and popped the tires into place with a floor pump. They sealed up easily. No weeping sealant from the sidewalls. Tire was not porous at all. I am uses to sealant seeping from pinholes in the sidewall. But not with these.

A very high volume 2.25 at first glance. Stans Crest is 24.4mm wide. I need to take a caliper to it and once I do, I will post what they measure. They appear wider than a 2.25. Wider than I am used to and wider than I was expecting.

If anyone is considering these, be prepared for a battle when it comes time to mounting them. I have heard it can be a pain the ass to mount tires on Stans rims. Maybe this contributed to the issues we were having. Either way, it wasn't easy. I hope I never get a flat on the trail. In the woods, this could pose an issue. Installing a tube might just be impossible.

photo.jpg

Guy

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    If anyone is considering these, be prepared for a battle when it comes time to mounting them. I have heard it can be a pain the ass to mount tires on Stans rims. Maybe this contributed to the issues we were having. Either way, it wasn't easy. I hope I never get a flat on the trail. In the woods, this could pose an issue. Installing a tube might just be impossible.
    Yeah, The tubless ready Geax tires were near impossible to install and these vittorias are essentially just rebranded or slight design tweaks I think. I was running the non-tubless ready Geax tires on my stans rims - they're much easier to mount.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    Update on the Mezcal....

photo.jpg

Guy
    This is likely only an issue with Stan's rims with their oversized bead shelf. A UST-ish rim (like those from WTB) would be a better fit with those tires I'll betcha.

Check the spoke tension on your wheels before putting major miles on them, I bet it's went down a lot. All rims lose tension with a tire mounted, but the tight fit on Stan's rims causes them to lose a bit more, and with the super tight fit you had with these, it could be very significant and require tightening things up a bit.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ineff View Post
    My tires are 58mm/2.28" wide on NOX Skyline rims.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should stretch a bit now that they are seated and inflated. Those tires snapped on like a rubber band when that bead finally cleared the rim.