Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hub suggestions: boost T/A

Hi all,

I'd like your advice.

I'm planning a new wheel build for my trail MTB which has 148x12mm boost (Shimano MS) rear, and 110x15 boost front.

I have already ordered the rims (which are 32 hole if that matters). I had planned to use Hope Pro 4 hubs, as I have had good experience with them in the past,-but, I am having a hard time finding any in stock.

So...what do you suggest? I would like reasonable reliability as well as servicability. POE is a bonus, but only they can survive a relatively fit but aging 190 lb rider.

I was considering WI. Any comments?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hub suggestions: boost T/A

I’m a White Industries fan and surprised I don’t see them more often.
    They are a time-tested design and the free hub body is titanium so it is much easier to get cassettes on/off when you replace a worn drivetrain.
    And the polished ones look awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got White Industries XMR on the gravel bike, and Hope on the MTB, both sets built by Garro. You might reach out to him (Coconino) to see where he gets his or perhaps build your wheels.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One factor is points of engagement on a mountain bike. I have Kings which are expensive but were the right mix of everything for me. I9 is the same boat but I have heard mixed reviews about durability. I would be comparing what people say about points of engagement too. Hope in that respect look to be a better buy than DT Swiss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    ...a better buy than DT Swiss.
    DT Swiss are a great buy if they're OEM from Bontrager or Roval. Sorry that does not help you, Darkmother.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    DT Swiss are a great buy if they're OEM from Bontrager or Roval. Sorry that does not help you, Darkmother.
    Not disputing that! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick DT outta bed. But all things being equal, those seventy-two, smooth, ring-driven, oil-glistening points of luscious engagement, offering five, weightless degrees of movement before you're in outer space, make the Kings the choice.

I just scoped it out though, and I'd consider Onyx with alleged instant engagement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onyx rear hub is very good. Nearly instant engagement. A little heavy. Silent.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm rapidly approaching a service-free year on a set of Industry Nine 1/1 hubs they are a much simpler and more econo model. I wash the bike these things are on sometimes 4 times a ride(back yard ruts in the rain). Defintely satisfied, and it felt real nice sending money to people down the road that always have a Tecate in the pits when you need one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a I9 1/1 rear hub a few months ago and it's been terrific. it spins, it engages, it didn't cost a ton, made in USA. pleasant buzz, but not loud and clacky. silent hubs are unnerving to me. what more could you want?
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DT Swiss are pretty much future-proof whatever you buy. 350s are good Q/P.

Or get the Hope ones if you want to rebuild anything it needs to: we have a (big) guy with an E-bike that has had a rear wheel rebuilt with 32 spokes, we're having those good guys in Barnoldswick to send us a 36h hub shell (to reuse everything else of the hub) and rebuild the wheel on a beefy Ryde rim. I like those things.

White Ind. hubs are good IMO, they become dear once across the pond, but the quality is all there. Just make sure you keep clean the Lh side where the pesky 2mm grub screws are, you don't want them to go rusty. I echo for the nice (and durable) finish.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get Hope stuff all the time and right now due to all the global BS the distributer in Bend, OR is basically ordering most things from the UK as they are ordered, it's about a 3-4 week lead time but I just got my silver Pro 4's in the mail a few days ago and they are 12x100 ISO front and 135 x 10 bolt on (like one speed bolts) so they can get you most anything if you can chill for three weeks.

I just got a whole cool group from them and it was super custom (rear 7-speed 72 POE hub) so it's just a matter of ordering them up from a dealer........

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    DT Swiss are pretty much future-proof whatever you buy. 350s are good Q/P.
    That is a good point. A headache, shall we say, with many others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I9's for me on all my bikes. The engagement on the MTB is a huge plus. Engagement doesn't matter as much on the road, but it's a high priority for me when picking a MTB hub. The folks at I9 are nice as well. Good peoples and good hubs. Win win.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I just got a whole cool group from them and it was super custom (rear 7-speed 72 POE hub)
    That is cool. Almost no wheel dish....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like king and dt swiss.

I’ve been meaning to build a set of hydras but the pandemic put some plans on hold in that regard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve always wanted to like i9 hubs but after replacing so many bearings in customers hubs, I have a hard time recommending them.

I like DTs with an upgraded ratchet ring or White Ind. kings are nice too, but a bit hard to justify the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ineff View Post
    I’ve always wanted to like i9 hubs but after replacing so many bearings in customers hubs, I have a hard time recommending them.

I like DTs with an upgraded ratchet ring or White Ind. kings are nice too, but a bit hard to justify the price.
    Isaac--what's your go-to bearing when you do a replacement? I ask because this has been my experience on the I9 torch hubs I have on my 650b bike. I'm just shy of 3,000 miles on that bike, and both front and rear hubs feel surprisingly rough. Most of those miles are on gravel and dirt, but no major riding in the rain, and I just dribble water on the wheels when I wash my bike. In comparison I have a set of Dura Ace 7000 hubs that still spin silky smooth and have never been serviced. Happy to hear others' thoughts too.

Edited to add: My winter plan is to replace the bearings myself, which I've never done before. I'd like whatever bearings I use as replacements to have more durability than what came with the hubs.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly it doesn’t seem to mater what bearings you put in i9 hubs, they all get rough relatively quickly. We normally just go with the i9 stock bearings. It would be interesting to see if a higher quality bearing would make a difference. Give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly it doesn’t seem to mater what bearings you put in i9 hubs, they all get rough relatively quickly. We normally just go with the i9 stock bearings. It would be interesting to see if a higher quality bearing would make a difference. Give it a try!
    Thanks Isaac! I think I will go with something a little higher quality. We'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's where DT Swiss wins, the original 240 bearings seem to last forever. I've had a few customers that won't be able to kill them in a CX race season, and that means they've through tons of mud and lots of pressure-water cleaning.
    King hubs are difficult to kill, too, but you've to keep them clean all the time. The plus side is that to clean the RingDrive mechanism is a very quick and neat job.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast