Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hub suggestions: boost T/A

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hub suggestions: boost T/A

I currently have 2 mtb, both boost, one with ENVE on DT Swiss 350 and the other industry nine alloy on I-9 hydra. Hands down the I-9 are much better. The engagement is instant and makes climbing better to me--it is noticeable. 2 of my friends have also ridden that bike and immediately commented on it compared to their bikes. If you have a shop near, I'd try to ride a few bikes with diff hubs if they have them.

I don't think anything comes close to the hydra engagement. In the past I've had ibis logo hub, WI, Chris King (non-boost), DT, Hope, and earlier I9 (non-boost). I'm considering replacing the Enve wheels with a hydra build, even though nothing needs replacing. Project 123 seem to get good review, but I've not ridden them. I don't ride in mud/rain. I've never had a hub fail, been mtb'ing since 1999, knock on wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every week I dribble one or 2 drops of thin oil everywhere an axle spins in a bearing / seal.
    Where there’s oil, there’s no water. Syringe with needle does the trick in 30 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you’re looking for a hub for a full suspension mountain bike less engagement is something to consider. More engagement with increase the chance of your chain acting on your suspension deep in your travel. Its a bit of a compromise, climbing performance v active suspension descending. The DT 36T ratchet strikes a nice balance atmo.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onyx Vesper is the only true continuous engagement hub on the market. Several Hubs offer engagement with very close to instant. The Vespers are silent and offer the lowest rolling resistance of any hub on the market.

If you like the buzz, the I9 Hydra would be my second choice.

The instant engagement probably only matters if your are into riding really technical stuff.

DT is super dependable and upgradeable, but not to the level of the above on performance by the numbers.

Very few are pedaling while deep into the suspension (maybe short travel XC stuff?) so if your bike has a solid suspension platform, I wouldn’t worry about that as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    If you’re looking for a hub for a full suspension mountain bike less engagement is something to consider. More engagement with increase the chance of your chain acting on your suspension deep in your travel. Its a bit of a compromise, climbing performance v active suspension descending. The DT 36T ratchet strikes a nice balance atmo.
    I had to think a while about that one. Interesting. On my HT more is more better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this pandemic disease ruined more plans in life((

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is useless to compare the DT to other hubs if you don't specify the tooth number of the ratchet you are using. While the 36t is a bit limited I found out that the optionnal 54t ratchet was good enough engagement for most of my offroad riding and as Andrea said, it is pretty much future proof. I have been using the very same dt 350 hub on 3 different rims and bikes, first a cross bike in 135mm dropouts with skewers, then MTB with 142x12 thru-axle and XD body and it is now back on a gravel bike with shimano body and 142x12 thru-axle.

Only downside is it is noisier than some quieter hubs if you want to encounter wildlife, but since my trails are also used by hikers, I like that my freehub can act as a bell.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-25-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP here...I got tired of waiting for the Hope Pro4 hubs I ordered, and took a chance on the new Shimano non series MT900 hubs. I've not yet built them up, but they are light by Shimano standards, and the rear freehub has ~100 points of engagement (I got tired of counting after a 1/4 turn).

It would be nice if these are a return to form for Shimano MTB hubs. The freehub mechanism is new, and not contained within the freehub as before.

Cautiously optimistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    OP here...I got tired of waiting for the Hope Pro4 hubs I ordered, and took a chance on the new Shimano non series MT900 hubs. I've not yet built them up, but they are light by Shimano standards, and the rear freehub has ~100 points of engagement (I got tired of counting after a 1/4 turn).

It would be nice if these are a return to form for Shimano MTB hubs. The freehub mechanism is new, and not contained within the freehub as before.

Cautiously optimistic.
    Last year when Garro built my MTB, we both wanted XTR hubs for the wheelset with I-29s. There were just none to be found at the time and XT was not a good compromise. I've got Hope hubs. I wish Shimano would return to MTB hubs as well, there are so many great rim choices. My gravel bike has Garro-built wheels with I-23s and WI XMR.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I saw this post earlier...I have a set of Hope Pro-4 Boost 148 in 32h Black.

Id have to figure out what I paid for them but Id be happy to part with them. I just built 4 650b wheel sets out of them using DT Swiss rims...Pretty nice...white/black color scheme matches well too.

This Pandemic has screwed everything up. I bought them in Dec '19. I am happy to help you build what you want. Pretty amazing hubs.

PM me if you are interested.
    Hale Sramek
    halekai machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by halekai View Post
    I wish I saw this post earlier...I have a set of Hope Pro-4 Boost 148 in 32h Black.

Id have to figure out what I paid for them but Id be happy to part with them. I just built 4 650b wheel sets out of them using DT Swiss rims...Pretty nice...white/black color scheme matches well too.

This Pandemic has screwed everything up. I bought them in Dec '19. I am happy to help you build what you want. Pretty amazing hubs.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer. I will eventually get the Hope hubs I ordered, so I'll have to build up yet another nice wheelset when they arrive (twist my arm....). Maybe 27.5+ for my trail bike.

You are right though, they are nice hubs. I have a set on my HT, and they've gone two seasons of fairly heavy use without a hiccup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12