Thread: How wide it too wide? 29+ rims for smaller or lighter riders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How wide it too wide? 29+ rims for smaller or lighter riders

Pulling this out as it's own thread.

Recently picked up a used Stache. Having plenty of fun but man, are those OEM Mulefüt wheels beefy. Planned tires will be the stock Chupas and likely some 2.8s. At my size and terrain that's pretty forgiving to sidewalls, I'm wondering if 29-30 internal be too narrow or if 35-36 would be better. The 45s are overkill in both weight and width. Tires will be 2.8-3.0.

Goal: shedding some rotating mass while retaining velcro-corning and crazy endless traction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How wide it too wide? 29+ rims for smaller or lighter riders

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post

Recently picked up a used Stache. Having plenty of fun but man, are those OEM Mulefüt wheels beefy. Planned tires will be the stock Chupas and likely some 2.8s. At my size and terrain that's pretty forgiving to sidewalls, I'm wondering if 29-30 internal be too narrow or if 35-36 would be better. The 45s are overkill in both weight and width. Tires will be 2.8-3.0.

Goal: shedding some rotating mass while retaining velcro-corning and crazy endless traction.
    The big difference between 35 and 45mm rims for a smaller person is going to come down to the shape of the tire and what your own preferences are. I personally prefer a more square edged tire, especially up front as I don't like the way the round profile leans into a turn (like putting slick tires on my KTM) and at my weight, the 45mm rims give better sidewall support. If you don't mind a rounder profile and are getting the support you need from a 35mm rim, go for it.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post

To add to Sean's comments with what I've found: It also depends on the tire and how it's profiled. Some seem to really change while others seem to retain their intended shape more or less. For example (this is a 27.5+ tire BTW): The WTB Trail Boss 3.0 is a bit more squared off at the knobs with a flatter tire profile while a WTB Ranger 2.8 and 3.0 are more rounded. I have the WTB Trail Boss 3.0 mounted to a WTB Scraper i40 rim and an I9 Backcountry 360 (36mm internal width) and the tire is nearly identical in profile. My own opinion is that to benefit from Plus, you need to be looking at 35mm internal rim width and above. The wider the internal width, the more vertical the sidewalls will sit but some tires seem to hold their profile across the knobs more than others. The wider internal width will also make the tire more "full" in appearance and I'd say that the overall feel of the tire is much better with a wider internal width starting at 35mm's for Plus. "Normal" tires in the 2.35-2.4" range also benefit from a wider internal width and I'd say that starts in the 29-30mm internal width range.

One thing to note is most "normal" tires start to head south with rim width in the 40-45mm internal width. That's just too wide for them while 30-35mm's for internal rim width seems to be a good balance.

My big question for you is how tall are you? A 29+ is a monstrous wheel in diameter. 27.5+ is really close in overall diameter to a 29" wheel and has a lot of positive attributes of both 29" and 26". I will say 29+ is one of the smoothest wheels I've ever tried and once up to speed boy does it carry momentum!
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using my 29+ with 45mm (internal) wide rims. I'm on VeeRubber Trax Fatty and it looks like a good rim width choice. Probably not the most popular tires but they roll quite well and cost one third of a chupacabra or Bomboloni tire. I'll most probably replace them with chupas but I can't seem to be able to kill them, they wear very slowly.

Despite the rolling weight and occasionnally switching to regular 29x2.2 for not to technical XC racing I really love the 29+ format. I can fly in the roots and rocks gardens while other riders tend to get stuck. My own experience with 27.5+ is meh. I can see the appeal on an e-mtb because it helps limiting the damage with the added weight but I find 27.5+ wheels not more capable than regular 29. The smaller radius doesn't help.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-20-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

Despite the rolling weight and occasionnally switching to regular 29x2.2 for not to technical XC racing I really love the 29+ format. I can fly in the roots and rocks gardens while other riders tend to get stuck. My own experience with 27.5+ is meh. I can see the appeal on an e-mtb because it helps limiting the damage with the added weight but I find 27.5+ wheels not more capable than regular 29. The smaller radius doesn't help.
    It's always interesting to get others impressions.

In my experience, 27.5+ is much more capable than 29x2.3 because it has so much more traction and can be run at much lower pressures. Both of my 3" tires, a Chronicle and HRII measure out to within 5mm of the diameter of a Nevegal 2.3 but the DHR and DHF I run on a different bike (2.8) are about 12mm smaller. Still, I haven't found them to be a hinderance in the least as they corner better than any 29" tire I've tried and I feel that they're much better on fast rough trails AND on slow ultra-technical trails. Speaking only of the DHF/DHR, the only downside to them is rolling resistance. They are noticeably slow on anything smooth, but I'm happy for that tradeoff considering how capable they are elsewhere.

To each their own, but 27.5+ is definitely for me.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice sweet spot might simply be 29x2.6. I intend to try it out that size this winter. Not sure which wheels I should use, my 45mm wide int one may be a hair too large while my other rims would be too narrow in the 22.5mm range...
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-20-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 5'6" and always figured a Stache or any + would be too much mass. The Stache is amazingly nimble and rolls over a lot of things. Corners tighter than almost any other bike I've been on in recent years. The push to get a lighter wheelset is to help offset some of that mass. Stock wheels are over 2200g. Knocking a pound off the rims would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speedy, my 650b plus has 38-mm (30 mm internal) rims and the wheels are incredibly light. Also impressed with the durability so far, knock on wood.

Special__ed also makes them in 700c, not sure if you're boost or not but you won't go wrong with these, Roval Traverse SL Fattie 29 148 | Specialized

And DT hubs don't suck.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife has been VERY happy with a 27.5 x 2.8 on the WTB / KOM
    I-29 rims - measures out to 65mm width and 28 & 3/8" diameter

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 10-21-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a 30 internal based on my size, tire choice and that I prefer a rounded tread profile vs squared off will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AmClassic Wide Lightning too light/narrow? Smokin'Gun too wide?
    Low engagement but weight / price could be a good stopping point w/o going full on to something like the Rovals