Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handlebars:Ti vs carbon vs aluminum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handlebars:Ti vs carbon vs aluminum

As a builder who puts out a fair number of bars each year, I've had the opportunity to create and test creations in steel, aluminum, and ti. I began this journey after having aluminum and carbon bars fracture during use, causing physical injury...I guess being 200+ and riding fully rigid will push products to their limit more expediently.

I try to design products that make me happy, so they need to meet specific design criteria, be performance based, and be durable. Weight is not a consideration for me, when all the design priorities are hit, the weight is what it is.

I have zero'd in my offerings to steel and ti, as these offer the greatest performance and durability for such harsh conditions. The steel bar tends to be a gateway drug to Ti, with many folks starting with the more economical option then calling back a few weeks later to upgrade.

Hands down, the Ti is the winner for comfort and control, only eclisped when placed into an integrated one piece bar/stem.

For me, I'll never do carbon or aluminum again...I 'aint that pretty to begin with, the thought of loosing teeth on top of it is not an option I care to flaunt with :)
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Luv Handles! I have them on my rigid SS, I've used them in NUEs and the VT50. I do run carbon 10* sweep on my geared bike, but thinking I should consider some good ole Ti Luv.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luv Handles! Unlike Shoogs, I am a fat softie, so I have them on my geared full-sus. I think Luv Handles with ESI Racer's Edge and Velox bar end plugs are unimprovable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    Funny... The older I get the skinnier my grips and tape get. Also my sweep has increased. I ride Rody's Luv Handles(Groovy Cycles). I am happy with both versions(Steel on the SS, Ti on my Ritchey). My hands haven't been this happy in a long time. Plus my carbon bars(old faves) are taking a rest at the moment.
    Yea, I can't use any of the "ergonomically correct" grips. They hurt my wrists. ESI racers or bar tape for me. Just something to give the bar grip, but I don't necessarily need the cushion.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 20mm risers and I like the bend/angle or a traditional 9 back /5 degree riser, but I would like to get my hand position a little lower. I can't get much lower by changing the stem, so I thinking a flat bar would do the trick. 720-750mm wide is going to be fine for width.

having a finite budget for bike parts leads me to Carver. their flat titanium Prybar is $100 and comes in a 730mm width in 3-17 degrees of backsweep (and I am asuming no upsweep).

I have tried a few alt bars from Ragley Carnegies to Answer 20/20s and never really liked them. so flat/ low risers it is! my questions are:
    • Why are Carver bars so much cheaper than other ti bars on the market?
    • will these ti flat bars feel better on a rigid bike than most sub-$100 alu bars?
    • what degree of backsweep on a flat bar will give me a similar hand position to a conventional 9/5 riser without compromising reach? ( too much rearward bend without a forward wiggle puts me in "alt bar" territory and might require a stupid-long stem).

sorry, I just can't get excited about crabon fibre at all. I'm a stick in the mud. I want (V)etal on my bike.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    • will these ti flat bars feel better on a rigid bike than most sub-$100 alu bars?
    Titanium is 70% more dense and 50% stiffer than aluminum. So at the same weight, the Ti bar will have a little more give. Is that what you mean?
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only answer your second question: yes, they will feel better. Ti is nice, though before buying I would make sure there isn't some major difference like one set of bars being butted ti, where another isn't; neither nor Carver, nor Thomson, for instance, listed specs like that on their website...

Anyhow, I would feel fine with Carver bars; thomsons are made in taiwan after all, too. If you're unsure, you could also search out a second hand set of Groovies or Thomsons or black sheeps (I think they make bars) here or on paceline; that's what I did. I really like them, though I wish mine were uncut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a set of the Thomson Ti bars, got them to review when I was writing for Singletracks. They're cool, but for my money I'd buy carbon instead. Carbon is more comfortable IMO, a good bit lighter, and less expensive than the Thomson Ti.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are concerned that Carver's lower price means compromised quality, I wouldn't make that assumption and would have no hesitation using the Carver bars. They have been around a long time and stand by their products.

You could always call Carver and ask them about the feel of the bars. Again, they are straight shooters and have a lot of experience using products.

*Disclaimer - I have know Davis Carver for 30+ years. He has been in the bike biz a looong time and has had a focus on MTB since the beginning. If you are ever near their shop, you should stop in and check it out. It is a cross between an old local shop, a museum, high tech goodies sitting next a box a 6 speed free wheels, customer frames in the corner, etc, etc.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have ordered 2 Carver custom frames and some carbon flat bars. The stuff is no frills but has not disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    *Disclaimer - I have know Davis Carver for 30+ years. He has been in the bike biz a looong time and has had a focus on MTB since the beginning. If you are ever near their shop, you should stop in and check it out. It is a cross between an old local shop, a museum, high tech goodies sitting next a box a 6 speed free wheels, customer frames in the corner, etc, etc.
    I know @Bewheels but I don't know Davis. I did go to that shop years ago, specifically to shop for handlebars. They blew me away with what they had in stock. Not only was that cool, it was also a testament to how they realize that bars have a huge impact on the fit and ride of a bike.

Mid-coast Maine rocks.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little divergent but in case there is confusion about the this shop/company...

The shop's original name is/was "Bath Cycle and Ski". The word "Bath" is in the name because the shop was originally in Bath, Maine.
    In the late 80's / early 90's Davis started "Bikeman" which was his mail order catalog and then grew into their online business.
    In the later 90's Davis started "Caver" bikes.

If you visit the shop, you are in fact visiting all of them.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    A little divergent but in case there is confusion about the this shop/company...

The shop's original name is/was "Bath Cycle and Ski". The word "Bath" is in the name because the shop was originally in Bath, Maine.
    In the late 80's / early 90's Davis started "Bikeman" which was his mail order catalog and then grew into their online business.
    In the later 90's Davis started "Carver" bikes.

If you visit the shop, you are in fact visiting all of them.
    One of my all-time favorite shops to have visited. It was a real walk back in time. The trailers strung together sort of attached to the main building. The range over very old to very new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a ti fan too, I have Thomson ti bars on my fatbike. Although I want some Luv handle something fierce. I seem to keep missing the order window :)

-Joe