Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant E Bike has arrived

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Giant E Bike has arrived

I got my first ride in yesterday on my new pedal assist mountain bike. It is Giant's top of the line, all nice components and pretty flashy looking. I had posted some time ago that I had ordered one for me and mine.

It has three settings, ECO, NORMAL and POWER. I rode in the ECO mode most of the ride since it was fairly flat and it just seems to help along a 48 lb bike to feel close to my beloved 29er. But there were plenty of things that I wanted to try that had always been a 50/50 at best. As I approached then I went into the normal mode and upped my cadence since the motor responds best to about a 70 cadence. All I can say is "Wow". Made me 45 years younger, just blew through the obstacles. Climbed punch ups that I could
    only make about 1/3 of the time on the 29er on which I use a 36/22 up front and an 11/42 in the back.

I took it to some ST and it felt great through sand and erosion left by our heavy rains. Then went to some hills which I could always climb. In the ECO mode it felt like my 29er only a little less strain. Went to an obstacle that had always thrown me. Rather than using the steps to walk the bike down there is a path that drops down about 15 feet, goes around the steps and then almost straight up on really gnarly tar and rock that was left over from paving. Used the normal mode and it was no sweat.

Later my wife and I went over to the shop where I knew her bike was ready. She is a good rider but careful after two hip replacements. She tried the normal mode and was blown away. Next was the power mode. Since we were in the parking lot I told her to take it easy and not hit anything. Again, blown away. Today we ride where I was yesterday.

I realize my 29er may become my beach cruiser. I am past the point of apologizing for getting old (75). I enjoy riding a bike, and love mountain biking. Hopefully this will keep the line going for a while longer.
    Livin The Dream in Surf City USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Giant E Bike has arrived

@Mud: If you can, do tell me a bit more as I'm curious.

- How exactly does the power work?

In other words: Is it pedal assist so only engaged as you pedal or can you stop pedaling and just add juice? I've only ever been on an e-bike once in a parking lot for the record and it was much more "beach cruiser" in nature. I'd like to know more about how power can be used on one of these types of bikes.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a day goes by when I don't almost get run over by one of these things. My gut tells me people buy these because the licensing requirement of moped's makes this an easier solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can address how the Giant ebikes work; they are pedal assist only, and the motor is responsive to torque/force applied at the pedals, rather than cadence like some control units. The goal is that they respond naturally to how people already ride, rather than forcing a rider to change their habits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maestro is on the money. Need cadence to make it work. No cruising like a moped. Lots of people riding the beach cruiser electrics here. They probably weigh 60 lbs. and they dont seem to slow down for anyone. Biggest PITA for me is not having a workstand with a clamp. I have a Topeak with a knob clamp. Holding the bike with one hand and turning the knob with the other is tough. Not enthralled with Park's coffee grinder clamp either. Saw the electric Park stand. $2k and the repair world is mine. NOT!

We have been riding for a long time. Won't run anyone over. Object is to get over, around or through the tough stuff, not how fast we go. Battery uses about 1% per mile but would use more in tougher rides. Big deal is getting up, coming down with a ton of suspension, huge brakes and a 48 lb bike is a blast. Battery usage has to do with weight. I weight 136 and wife is 108 so it is a light load.. but I have to be careful. I went up a big U in the Normal mode and the front wheel was off the ground for half the climb. Considering I can't do a wheelie on my 29er, I finally may be able to do a Manual.

I know it is an affront to purists and ther are restrictions on where we can ride but laws change and I only post this for something to keep in your back pocket when for a little while longer "I need never get old" (Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Maestro: Thanks for that simple explanation. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Maestro is on the money. Need cadence to make it work. No cruising like a moped.
    Thanks for this. Greatly appreciated. It's interesting in the sense that especially for older riders, it gives them more opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I know it is an affront to purists and ther are restrictions on where we can ride but laws change and I only post this for something to keep in your back pocket when for a little while longer "I need never get old" (Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats).
    I'm not offended by them or don't necessarily see the e-Bike movement as an affront. I'm a purist in the sense that I personally like the simplicity of the traditional mechanics of how a bicycle works if that makes sense? I just wanted to get a better idea of how the technology works, what pros and cons are and how that then shapes trail usage. For the record, I'm a second on my town's Conservation Commission and we're looking to create a trail network that links to existing trail networks in neighboring towns. ATV's are a huge problem here in Lyndeborough and these will be mixed use/user trails, much of which will be on both public lands but also leaning extensively on private land via conservation easements that have provisions in them allowing for access. But that access can be pretty clearly defined while other times it's a bit nebulous. I know these are coming, and it's only a matter of time when they arrive here in NH if they're not already here. I want to have all the facts first before I recommend any rules here locally. It's a rock and a hard place honestly in terms of what the long term effects will be on trails. I don't know. But the more info I have up front (and that means getting on top of one of these on trail), I'll be better informed to help shape our trail system here in NH.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Any additional thoughts are welcome.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how is an e-bike different than that parlee with a vivax assist again? Don't they both work the same way. The only difference seems to me to what extent you go through to hide the motor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bike isn't cheating others out of earnings as a racer. There is a big difference. Technology wise I believe the Cancellaria motor is good for about 20 minutes. But I will tell you that I am seriously looking at the road bike. Giant' s sizing is a little weird for us I. That the small is a 55, most probably because of the battery size. I have asked the shop to get one in to see if my wife can ride it comfortably. We each have two great bikes (Serotta and Moots) and no room for more bikes or even what we have. Remember, whomever dies with the most toys wins!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the e-bike and the vivax assist parlee seem to both require the pedals to be engaged or they stop moving. the technology looks similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, just my motor and battery weigh more than a road bike. One interesting observation, I checked my FitBit calories and HR to compare against the 29er on a similar ride. About the same which is good to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mud, I know this is going to get you and the Mrs. back out on the trails.
    Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Kris. I was at the Giant product release for mid-Atlantic dealers in August, they went to some lengths to explain how their drive/control unit is different than others out there; the development was described as very much hand-in-hand between Yamaha and Giant, and not something off-the-shelf.

Mud, do you have the hardtail Dirt-E, or the full-suspension Full-E? It sounds awesome, I'm glad to hear it's such a game-changer for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full monte version. Bike msrp is $7700. We still ride fine on the 29ers. I have had some major work on my heart to deal with flutter as a result of OH surgery scar tissue. I dont expect any more issues but shit happens. I know i can get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you posted this, keeps it in perspective. I haven't seen any on the trails yet, but was generally negative. I still do feel we'll see people that dont have the skills to ride fast in the woods, riding far to fast and end up running over someones dog/child and ending the fun for everyone. On the other hand, that's probably going to happen motors or not as our trails and cities get more dense, and green space gets more limited. I've said this before, but generally skills and speed progress together, with these bikes I'm imagining the ratio could get thrown off.

I'm glad you guys are out there enjoying these things, makes me feel better about the inevitable growth of them.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mud - This is awesome! Have fun with your bike and let us know how you like it in a few weeks.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a real ride yesterday in Fullerton. Not a hard layout but some good climbs. Lots of mud ( the real stuff, not me) making it a messy go especially the last couple of miles where all the options were really bad. Bikes would gain 20 lbs in a flash and the wheels would plug up.

But aside from a few nicks (it is not a real ride without a little blood) we could not have asked for more from the bike. In the ECO mode it was like riding the 29er. This surprised me since it weighs at least 20 lbs more. Had to be really careful on any curve and did get introduced to a chain link fence on one down hill.

But climbing it unreal. Punch ups became a none factor by a quick switch to the Normal mode. The first really long climb was a breeze. I have the bikes set on 6" of travel and there is a section of 6" plus roots to go over which we just cruised over. After that the last section is about 8 degree climb which is usually the hardest part but not today. Just tore right up. Our riding partner is a strong rider and even taking the easier options he was left far behind. First time we ever had to wait for anyone. The last climb is known as The Bitch. Maybe 100 yds to start of 12 degrees over some railroad ties. Just killed it except for the last 10 feet which were so muddy we all lost traction. However! The bike has a walk mode for pushing it through just such a spot so lois and I were up and continued about a 7 degree climb to the top, maybe 1/4 mile or less.

We never had to use the Power mode and the 8 speed had plenty of gear. I would like narrower spacing at times but I'll get used to it. The Eagle drive train works very well.

Anyhow, we still have a lot of rain in the forecast so the epics will have to wait. Our zoot 29ers are beach cruising in a bit. Battery life is excellent and not an issue for epics. 57 miles used 62% of the battery. Considering the conditions yesterday, which was about a 15 miles ride I think this is a good indication.

A couple of other thoughts for you. Oiling the chain is a PITA because you can't turn the crank backwards. It does not engage. I have a new Park Stand coming with a clamp rather than the new coffee grinder? Otherwise luring and maintenance becomes a 2 person job because of the weight. Mud is tough. Like most FS bikes there are lots of places for mud to find and without the stand it was tough to find them all, but I will.

The new plus tires are huge so whatever amount you are using for Stan's just double it. I do this for our 29ers. If anyone is considering going this was just drop me a message and I will be glad to answer any questions. Time to ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update. We have be n riding in the Crystal Cove area. Big climbs, steep climbs, some ST and a lot,of fun. There are some technical issues on how to use the bike which we have worked out. Only drawback was on our ride yesterday where Steep DH switchbacks were tough because of the bikes size and heft. Toe dabs to get through them. Our rides are longer with a lot more climbs and there is no hesitancy to explore since we know we can make the climbs. There are so many trails that intersect I am really glad to have the GPS on my phone. I really have stopped asking directions because most people aren't very helpful, which is really sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to Sedona. Rode Jeep Trails which also eat Jeeps. Parts are left behind. Lots of ledgy stuff. We would not have made it on our 29ers. Of course got a few remarks "cheaters" from fat butts doing the Pink Bike 4wd tours. Going down the ledges was more fun with 6.5 inches of travel.

Going Road in Moab next week for a couple of days. We sold all out high end Ti road bikes and only have the Giant e road now. Much easier dealing with the 20+ winds along the PCH. For us it has been great. We would not have been riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome! Check at Poison Spider,,the la sal loop may be closed for construction. It was two weeks ago when I was there.

Cheers,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moab fell through. Not our doing. Glad I had 24 hours notice. Headed back to Sedona.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast