User Tag List

Thread: General storage questions for MTB Noob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default General storage questions for MTB Noob

Hey gang, having recently gotten back into MTB in the past few years since (I'll age myself here) the late 90's?? I wonder if all the new technology (disc brakes, modern suspension components) changes winter storage concerns for these complicated machines. Namely, should I not hang the bike on a hook either vertically, or on two hooks upside down in the garage. Also, is storing in a freezing garage all winter not good for the oils that are used in the brakes and shocks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: General storage questions for MTB Noob

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    Hey gang, having recently gotten back into MTB in the past few years since (I'll age myself here) the late 90's?? I wonder if all the new technology (disc brakes, modern suspension components) changes winter storage concerns for these complicated machines. Namely, should I not hang the bike on a hook either vertically, or on two hooks upside down in the garage. Also, is storing in a freezing garage all winter not good for the oils that are used in the brakes and shocks?
    If there is air in your brake system, hanging them upside down or vertically will cause the bubbles to go to your caliper which could force you to need to bleed the brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had my bikes hanging on the front or rear wheel in a cold garage for years. No detrimental issues. To things I’ve experienced:
    On my Di2 bike the battery needs charging more frequently in really cold weather. And be careful not to let electronic shifters come in contact with another bike thereby draining the battery
    I have experienced a little brake ‘fade’ on my hydro bike. It didn’t occur to me until reading the last post that hanging it may be making air move around the system. But honestly almost every bike shop I’ve been in has bikes hanging in some form or another so it can’t be too awful.
    Never had an issue with the suspension fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ride the damn bikes
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    As Murphy stated, if any air is in the lines, it may force you to realize you need to bleed the brakes. And depending on how much air is in the line, just taking the bike off the hook on flat ground and cycling the lever a handful of times brings it back. But if they really do need to be bled... no amount of lever cycling will bring them around. Aside from that, I've not found any issues with storage over the winter.

But I have noted if there are any issues with the seals of your fork, it will show up after a winter of storage with oil appearing around the seals, on the floor or around the cap.

The only caution with hanging I'd say is if you have carbon wheels: Make sure the hook is well padded or protected (especially the end - I had one scratch a rim because it had exposed metal).

Other than that, hang away!
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx guys. I had been familiar with the air in the line and a few cycles of the lever usually fixes it, but only when the bike is hanging in a vertical position. I was moslty wondering about full inversion. Seems like its worth a try. One of these days (when I retire and no longer ride much prolly) I'll rig up some of those pulley systems to hoist them up level toward the ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than the brakes the main concern I have heard is the leakage of oil from the suspension seals from hanging vertically or upside down. If you have the space I would hang the bike horizontally just to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is also SOP to flip the bike over for a bit if it's been setting for a long time to get lube into the fork and shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Other than the brakes the main concern I have heard is the leakage of oil from the suspension seals from hanging vertically or upside down. If you have the space I would hang the bike horizontally just to be safe.
    If your fork leaks when you hang the bike vertically, your seals are toast (WAY toast) and need replacing anyway. I’ve been hanging bikes vertically since the first forks came out... no issues. Keeps the foam rings and bushings wet so you can drop it down and rock right away.

Any air in the brakes will just go to the loop in front of the handlebars and pop right back up to the lever/master cylinder when you bring the bike down. Again, no troubles with bubbles!