User Tag List

Thread: Fox Transfer Dropper - Internal or Cable issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fox Transfer Dropper - Internal or Cable issue

I have a Fox Transfer dropper (150mm) that's roughly 2.5 years old. Movement down and back up to position is swift and solid, always.

A few months ago if it is extended any higher than a few inches from its lowest position, I can feel a ~1/2 drop when I put weight onto the saddle or standing next to the bike and forcing the saddle downward, but without weight it pops back up. It's not squishy or soft, but pretty abrupt. Yes, its entirely likely my no-longer-roadie-sized-body is the cause, but I don't think that's it.

While changing the dropper lever last week, I inspected the cable attachment at the bottom of the post and didn't see anything out of sorts. I've also applied a thin coat of honey slick wondering if things were just gummed up, but no luck. Is it just in need of service or should I try a new cable?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fox Transfer Dropper - Internal or Cable issue

Mine would return to full height but then gradually drop close to a centimeter once I got my weight back on it. Stand up, push the lever and it would go to full height then gradually lose about a centimeter again. I had it serviced and it's been good to go for over a year now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just requires service. And it’s highly unlikely your LBS can do it, needs some specialized and absurdly expensive, limited-use tools...it is a Fox product, after all. You made it 2.5 years! Be satisfied, send it off for a week or two and it’ll come back good as new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send your $115 as well... at least that's what Fox charged me last time, after ship and tax. And maybe consider totaling that post and replacing with something newer that is user serviceable... there are a lot of options out there at the $200 price point that are very good, and can be user serviced with a $60-ish cartridge.

I'm done with Fox droppers. They're good, but not being user serviceable is now a deal killer. The market has evolved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCheeks View Post
    Mine would return to full height but then gradually drop close to a centimeter once I got my weight back on it. Stand up, push the lever and it would go to full height then gradually lose about a centimeter again. I had it serviced and it's been good to go for over a year now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    It just requires service. And it’s highly unlikely your LBS can do it, needs some specialized and absurdly expensive, limited-use tools...it is a Fox product, after all. You made it 2.5 years! Be satisfied, send it off for a week or two and it’ll come back good as new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Send your $115 as well... at least that's what Fox charged me last time, after ship and tax. And maybe consider totaling that post and replacing with something newer that is user serviceable... there are a lot of options out there at the $200 price point that are very good, and can be user serviced with a $60-ish cartridge.

I'm done with Fox droppers. They're good, but not being user serviceable is now a deal killer. The market has evolved.

Service it is then. I think I'll pickup a PNW Bachelor or Rainier v3 though and save the serviced Fox for another bike when the time comes.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Agreed. They have the near-indestructibility of a Reverb chassis, but without even the complex serviceability of the Reverb mechanism. I know remarkably few other pros who were willing to fork over the profound sum of money required for the tools to service just this generation to Transfer posts - because you can bet the next will require different, equally wonky tools. I can service a Reverb, new or old, with the same $18 worth of tools I bought seven years ago.

Having said that, many of these other “user serviceable” posts don’t feature nearly the chassis durability of the Fox or RockShox, and their supposed serviceability lies in throwaway gas cartridges. I’m not crazy about the waste involved in many of these other brands. And you don’t know the advantage of a rock-solid chassis until you’ve seen some of these other chintzy posts after a few seasons’ hard use...

Honestly, every Fox tech clinic I go to, the more I get over Fox. They’re trending toward needless complexity, where their wares are essentially not serviceable by even well-equipped, well-run, experienced shops, albeit with no performance advantage to show for it. This, when RockShox is trending opposite, and, eg, sells a complete service kit including everything from upgraded damper seal heads to new footnuts, and which includes lowers wipers, where Fox sells a pack of o-rings that omits all their usually-rusty and easily-lost, microscopic detent balls and springs - and you still have to buy $55 (at shit margin!) lowers wipers. Besides, while the classic Floats are still super high-performing, reliable bits of kit, give me a new Pike over a FiT4 34 any day. Let alone any of these “step cast” noodles... Time will tell with these new SID shocks, but methinks RS is even catching up in the shock department.