Thread: Flat Pedals and shoes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flat Pedals and shoes

How is the flat pedal experiment going?

I put some old low profile-ish MTB pedals (sans toeclips) on my CX bike so I wouldn't have to change shoes just to take a ride to various friend's places in the vicinity. Shoulda done it years ago.

I like having my feet precisely and securely positioned on the pedals (duh) but I'm slowly finding that I'm not getting annoyed if they're a little bit out of position; I'm not a high performance rider so I guess that helps, and it is SO nice to be able to hop on a bike with whatever footwear happens to be installed on my feet.

Curious how others are reacting to the differences. I'm close to putting a set on one of my all-road randonneur bikes, which I don’t ride that fast anyway (16mph on the flats).
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have multiple sets of flats now. They have stayed on my mtn bike and I swap back and forth between flats and SPDs on other bikes depending on my mood. I still don't like the old mtn bike pedals with the cages off but the newer flats are great. Getting on the bike with whatever shoes you want is a plus but anything too soft isn't great for longer or harder rides. The flat pedal shoes are definitely worth it and your feet will stay nicely planted on the pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Saturday I rode a bike I built for my 19 year old son with flat pedals on a trail I take often.
    Despite the bike having lower gears than my usual bike, I was exhausted from the climbing (steady 2000 ft gain over around two miles). Climbing while clipped in is way easier and descending is more secure for me.
    His bike has RF Chester pedals and they are great for pump track and around town. The only riders I see using flats locally are the guys who use the local shuttle service to the summit. Horses for courses as they say

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    ..... I was exhausted from the climbing (steady 2000 ft gain over around two miles).
    Damn, that is some climb!
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built it for him to use in SLO (he is/was a freshman at Cal Poly) and finished it when he came home for spring break.
    Of course he didn’t get to return with the Covid19 crash. Now there won’t be classes in fall either and his generation is feeling this worse than we are.
    He and I are driving back to SLO on Thursday to empty out his dorm Fri AM.
    I looked forward to riding in your area on trips to visit him

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While would you be more exhausted with flat pedals? I switched last year and honestly with real (oneup) mtb flat pedals I don't feel a difference while climbing. My feet do not move at all.

Maybe you aren't spinning "round" and more ellipticish. You might want to do some kinds of fixed gear riding or something to fix that?
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-16-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do have a fixed gear bike and I know how to pedal.
    The flats just don’t allow me to pull up as much as the cleats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A slight drift in regards of 5:ten shoes.

Has anyone experienced the sole to degrade and crumble down with time? My old ones have the uppers and the sole thread still ok, but the middle of the sole is falling apart like white bread :-(
    This has happened when I took them from London to my parents house in Sardinia, so UV rays galore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add my .02. Redundant: yes, to 5.10. I love Vans...for skating and looking cool. There is no comparison when it comes to riding vans v 5.10s.

I ride both flats and spd on the same bike (SC Bronson). It's what I'm going to do that makes the call. Longer, XC type ride, spd all the way. Need/want the efficiency for pedaling. Rides that are shuttle or gravity oriented (more downhill or flow trail type riding), flats all day long.

I had to re-learn (since my BMX are ancient history) how to effectively stay on the pedals with flats when the rock garden ramps up! With Vans and other soft sole type shoes, I was bouncing off the pedals...with bad outcomes. Again 5.10s....actually feel like you're clipped in. It's literally difficult to adjust your shoe position with these and good flats (so that something else to "learn"). As far as staying on the pedals. When the riding is fast and bumpy, you rock your feet backwards . Point your heels DOWN and toes up for the gnarly stuff. Viola. No more feet bouncing off the pedals.

Don't ever ride spd at a place like Whistler. Ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a small love affair with slip-on shoes. My dress shoes are loafers. I wear sneakers like this ... Camper Beetle. There are some laced shoes in the mix, but I try to eliminate them.

Thinking the five tens look great. Has anyone tried the slip-on? Five Ten Sleuth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    I have a small love affair with slip-on shoes. My dress shoes are loafers. I wear sneakers like this ... Camper Beetle. There are some laced shoes in the mix, but I try to eliminate them.

Thinking the five tens look great. Has anyone tried the slip-on? Five Ten Sleuth
    Those look pretty flimsy on top - I would ripped my toes off if I used those on my trails.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Those look pretty flimsy on top - I would ripped my toes off if I used those on my trails.
    I had the same concern and also noticed the rubber on the Sleuth is different. Was wondering if someone had tried them to see if it was possible to live laceless.

If I must degrade myself with laces, is the FREERIDER PRO the shoe of choice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    I had the same concern and also noticed the rubber on the Sleuth is different. Was wondering if someone had tried them to see if it was possible to live laceless.

If I must degrade myself with laces, is the FREERIDER PRO the shoe of choice?
    The Freerider Pro's are great. I never thought I'd be that guy, but I don't tie them snug. In fact, I can slip them on without doing/undoing the laces. The uppers are weirdly stiff in some places and don't agree with my feet unless they're on the loose side.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I switched to the Sleuth DLX and switched back. There is no toe box protection. Nearly broke a toe on the first ride. There is now a permanent dent in the shoe. There is also much more flex in the sole which can bounce off the pedal when riding over chunk. The grippy rubber meant that after bouncing I had to make the choice of riding locked into that position or try to one-foot a section and adjust. They're fine for dirt jump/pump track use and standing around on the shop floor. Not my choice for a mountain bike shoe.

The Freerider Pro is the gold standard.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freerider Contacts are on close out right now.
    Perfect “first” 5.10 as the area directly under the ball of your foot is smooth, for easier foot movement on the pedal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12