Thread: Flat Pedals, I'm never going back to SPDs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flat Pedals, I'm never going back to SPDs

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    In my experience you want some flex on the shoes when using flats.
    Some flex is good, but IME, most skate shoes feel like soggy waffles under your feet. I rode bmx for years, and I always had a hard time finding sneakers with moderately stiff, thick soles. I had some Ipaths that lasted me for 4 years of bmx abuse. Nothing else ever came close.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone with different width feet from cracking my big toe 3x at the joint running out crashes Id strongly recommend one of the new trail shoes from your favorite mtb shoe maker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't. Fused ankle means I always end up with my heel on the pedal. Super annoying.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not tried other shoes, but I have been using these on my fat bike and all two rides on my FS bike now. Amazon.com | Scarpa Men's Crux Approach Hiking Shoe | Hiking Shoes

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a reversal of my previous stance on flat pedals, I have been riding Chromag Contacts (big platforms) and Giro Jacket sneakers full-time for the past few months on chunky trails. I lost some of the power and control that I had with SPDs, but I have gained a ton of confidence as I can hop off the bike more easily when needed. I have learned to habitually drop my heels for braking and descents, something I didn't do at all previously. my legs are happier (except for the occasional bloody shin) and riding the bike is more fun. I admit part of the fun is smoking a bunch of people clipped into their FS crabon bikes with my rigid singlespeed on flat pedals.

there is a learning curve to riding flats, but it's worth it. it makes you a better rider as you learn to center your weight on the bike. when it comes time to "session" a spot, you don't have to faff about with trying to clip in before tacking a boulder or a drop, just stomp on the pedal and go.

on that note, my Chromags are great pedals, but the axle has some play in it. the "axle kit" that should fix this is $40. the puts me half-way to the cost of some decent new pedals, so I might go for something new. what are your favorite sub-$100 pedals right now? I just saw the new XT m8040 flat pedals and they look really nice for $80. cone-and-cone bearings FTW! Anything else you recommend based on experience?

also, shoes. Five Ten Freeriders are the reigning champs but are $150 most places, and Afton might give them a run for their money for $100. I would like to try some Vans for less than $50 though. My Giro Jackets are on borrowed time.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    In a reversal of my previous stance on flat pedals, I have been riding Chromag Contacts (big platforms) and Giro Jacket sneakers full-time for the past few months on chunky trails. I lost some of the power and control that I had with SPDs, but I have gained a ton of confidence as I can hop off the bike more easily when needed. I have learned to habitually drop my heels for braking and descents, something I didn't do at all previously. my legs are happier (except for the occasional bloody shin) and riding the bike is more fun. I admit part of the fun is smoking a bunch of people clipped into their FS crabon bikes with my rigid singlespeed on flat pedals.

there is a learning curve to riding flats, but it's worth it. it makes you a better rider as you learn to center your weight on the bike. when it comes time to "session" a spot, you don't have to faff about with trying to clip in before tacking a boulder or a drop, just stomp on the pedal and go.

on that note, my Chromags are great pedals, but the axle has some play in it. the "axle kit" that should fix this is $40. the puts me half-way to the cost of some decent new pedals, so I might go for something new. what are your favorite sub-$100 pedals right now? I just saw the new XT m8040 flat pedals and they look really nice for $80. cone-and-cone bearings FTW! Anything else you recommend based on experience?

also, shoes. Five Ten Freeriders are the reigning champs but are $150 most places, and Afton might give them a run for their money for $100. I would like to try some Vans for less than $50 though. My Giro Jackets are on borrowed time.
    I'm rolling Saints on my fat bike and have no interest in trying anything else. Buying a pair for my 29er after I get its fork rehabbed. For shoes, Scarpa Cruxes like Joe's, about a hundred bucks and the right amount of stiffness for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I'm rolling Saints on my fat bike and have no interest in trying anything else.
    new Saints or old ones? The old ones were pretty darn nice for a trail pedal, but the new ones seem like overkill. I wish the new XTs were a little thinner but they look good otherwise.

The sole of those Scarps don't look ideal for sticking to a flat pedal, but I'll take a look at a hiking shoe like that. I'd like to find something that fits like a Merrell trail runner but with a durable, relatively flat sole. and less than $100.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

new Saints or old ones? The old ones were pretty darn nice for a trail pedal, but the new ones seem like overkill. I wish the new XTs were a little thinner but they look good otherwise.

The sole of those Scarps don't look ideal for sticking to a flat pedal, but I'll take a look at a hiking shoe like that. I'd like to find something that fits like a Merrell trail runner but with a durable, relatively flat sole. and less than $100.
    Old ones - was it PD MX-80? I think the new GR-500 is the old Saint body and nicely priced.

Stickyness seems ok to me - I'm fighting some chronic tendinitis in the bottom of my foot and need a little extra stiffness and stability, the Scarpas seem to do this well. I'm only using the short pins in my pedals anyway so if I need more traction I can get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I'm back to being a ... what's the equivalent MTB term for "roadie"? MTB'er? Fat Tire'r? Mountie?

I've thought about switching to flat pedals because I know it will help me learn to be a better rider. I'm casing out some of the hard drops before riding them and here there's never a lot of run-up room and there's the moment of panic when I'm not quite clipped in and start rolling down. It's just hard to make that leap because I do pull up on my pedals quite a bit when going up over roots and moving the bike around.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    It's just hard to make that leap because I do pull up on my pedals quite a bit when going up over roots and moving the bike around.
    You will unlearn those habits quickly and become a better rider as a result. no more "cheating" with the pedals. you'll learn how to execute a proper bunnyhop, and after that, your timing and upper-body strength will be the only thing holding you back from awesomeness.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

your timing and upper-body strength will be the only thing holding you back from awesomeness.
    "Only." Heh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switched to flats 2 months ago. FiveTen Contact Pro shoes and OneUp composite pedals. So much more confident on techy stuff. Great on the steeps and in the air. Just as good as being clipped in on climbs. I like it so much I fun the same set up on my gravel bike.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Chase! I picked up 5.10 Pro's as well. I really cannot see myself going back for any reason.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few times a year you can find deals on Five Tens. I got a pair of Freeriders (base model) about a month ago for about $80. Way stickier than the Giro Jackets which is what I had before. I had worn a lot of the rubber nubbins off the bottom of the Giros as they seemed to be harder rubber than the bottoms of the Five Tens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    A few times a year you can find deals on Five Tens.
    I will have to keep checking the retailers, but it looks like things have changed since Adidas bought them. they don't have the same cool deals on the Five Ten site anymore.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A rare time when brick and mortar is cheaper is those shoes. Check your local shop, I got mine at a shop in Moab for $100!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep seeing flat pedals getting bigger and bigger. I understand why thinner is better, but is there a point were a pedal is bigger than necessary for your shoe size? I where a size 43 or about 9-1/2 and my shoes usually don't make contact with all of the surface of my Chromag Contacts because the pedal is so big.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep seeing flat pedals getting bigger and bigger. I understand why thinner is better, but is there a point were a pedal is bigger than necessary for your shoe size? I where a size 43 or about 9-1/2 and my shoes usually don't make contact with all of the surface of my Chromag Contacts because the pedal is so big.
    Yeah but when your shoes start slipping/moving around on the pedal, bigger is better!

I remember from BMX, a pedal bite (when you slip off the back of the pedal and it flips back around to SLAMS into your shin, usually sliding up the shin leaving a series of puncutres and 3-4" long gashes) is some of the worst pain you can feel as far as superficial injuries are concerned. Many a time while BMXing around the GA Southern campus someone in our group would slip a pedal and expletives would echo all about campus...

The double edge sword of course is that more aggressive pedals have better grip, and you're much less likely to get pedal bite, but if you do slip a pedal - may God have mercy on your soul!!!

Sometimes I miss BMX. But I don't take full body slams like I used to....

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried them a while ago and found i kept bashing my shin on them. The tiny spds don't seem to do that to me...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a secret: don't smash your shins into your pedals. Its more fun that way.

Riding BMX for almost two decades taught me to get my shins out of the way. I have the scars, mental and physical, to show for it. It can still happen, but you learn to instictually keep your shins away from the pedals when they come flyin.

Cheap, tall alu BMX pedals with molded pins were the worst. It's like kitchen knives, in that a sharp knife is safer because it's more likely to make a clean cut through whatever you are trying to cut instead of getting jammed and chomp your finger instead. Sharp pedals are more likely to stick to your shoes instead of slipping off and biting your shin.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast