6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fat tire lust

What other 29ers fit this bill:

orbea_alma.jpg

specialized_chisel.jpg

ritchey_ultra_team.jpg

If I had my druthers, I think I would have Igleheart build me a custom frame with his iconic segmented fork.

One thing I like about the Specialized Chisel is rinsing the bike off the aluminum frame would be less prone to rust I believe.

I think the Alma is beautiful and I respect that they feature a rigid 29er in their lineup but I think carbon frames are disposable compared to a metal frame. You can ride steel for decades but CF will date quicker and doesn't have the longevity.

Re: plug and play do the bottom two examples that I've posted above take I forget the term but is the frame designed to accommodate the fork and vice versa? The term is suspension corrected - I matched Specialized chisel with Spesh chisel fork so assume they're designed to work in concert; same for Ritchey it's their Ultra frame and I'm not sure what the rigid fork is but it's the only one they offer. But are they designed to work together?

Are there any other off the shelf bikes in this genre? Want 29er 2.4 probably. I would love to try 2.8/2.6 but this would have to be custom I think. Trek had the Stache but I think they're moving away from it.

Can anyone suggest builds for the bottom two? Would full XT be smart? Or is SRAM better. Or XTR? Also what about brakes? What are the best lowest maintenance disc brakes? Could you build either of the bottom two with like Paul V-brakes or anything along that realm to keep it old school? But I guess then wheels wouldn't jive right? Would love to keep the cost in check. Have no idea about wheels either but if anyone has any build resources I'd love to look at numbers.

Every winter I get the mtb jones. One year I'm going to pull the trigger. Carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fat tire lust

I don't subscribe to the need for a fat bike but ride my SC Highball with studded tires to very good effect in the snow.

But you might consider this:

https://otsocycles.com/collections/voytek-bikes
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kona Unit X?
    Maybe not be racy enough for what you’re after.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt thanks for the Kona link. I have a Surly cross-check that scares me about 520 cromo. Obviously you get what you pay for with a Surly frame but the plumber's pipes jokes are true. The 2.6 setup is sweet though. But I would like to skew racy over fat bike which I'm not interested in at all unless I move to Minnesota. I've said here that I rode one of Adam Sklar's personal mtbs that was setup with a 2.8 front and 2.6 rear. It felt like a monster truck to me (mtb noob but still) but I think you only get that going custom. 2.4 is probably a happy medium. I won't know what I love until I ride a lot unfortunately. I'm kind of in the dark about mtbs as a road / cx guy. In college I had an $850 Raleigh that was steel tubes with aluminum inserts kind of like a Ti / carbon frame but steel / alu. V-brakes full rigid which was a great bike for < $1k. Today a bike like that which has morphed disc and carbon is $3-4k. Riding my cross bike and never having ridden suspension apart from a rental one day at Big Sky big tires are enough suspension for the type of mtb riding I'll do. If I lived in Colorado I would be looking for an entirely different rig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chisel with that rigid fork or maybe a Honzo with a 120mm corrected rigid fork may be best.
    Hadn’t realized the Unit is now such a fat tired beast. 2.6 is certainly truckish.

I have an older Explosif that’s a lot fun. May swap to rigid one day.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 01-16-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I would love to try 2.8/2.6 but this would have to be custom I think. Trek had the Stache but I think they're moving away from it.

FWIW Trek do not sell new complete stache but the framesets are still available.

Orderable in Spain from https://www.fabreguesbicicletas.es for example.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on a Trek Stache at Ray's MTB before Thanksgiving. It actually ripped around the park pretty well. it even did ok on the jump lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking last night to be fair I guess you'd have to include these though they're not contenders for me. I want something a little sweeter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Engin is filthy

Does anyone know how slow does a 29+ ride compared to, say, 2.4

Is it a discernible difference riding recreationally? Put another way it doesn't feel like a fat bike does it?

I want agility and a horny climber so I might be best served around 2.4 but again until I ride I'm just guessing. So wondering from the Salon to hear from actual data

Typing out loud but in my mind 29+ is interesting when going full rigid. Like it feels all in on the concept for you're getting maximum suspension from big ass tires and hoops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience having ridden a 29+ for 2.5 years it felt faster than regular XC at steady pace, the faster the worse is the ground, but slower to accelerate. And obviously a 29+ tire is heavier than an XC tire. The tread and carcass makes more difference, my current 29 x 2.5 trail tires feel definitely slowet everywher but downhill than my previos 29x3.00 tires.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to add the biggest downside of 29+ on faster treads is a loss of precision on the front tire because the carcass deform significantly more than a 2.3 xc tire.

Also there are basically 3 types of 29+ tires in the market, trailish (Surly Dirt Wizard, Bontrager se4...), adventure/touring (WTB Ranger...), and faster xc inspired ones (Bontrager se2, Vittoria Bonboloni, veetire trax fatty...). The thing is I fear the latter offering might thin out if Trek abandon for good the Stache as almost all new 29+ bikes in the market are targetting the bikepacking/adventure crowd.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of rides do you typically rides? In my area unless I drive to the trail I am very limited in single track offering so most of my rides include a mix of jeep tracks and dryed out rivers. The soil on dryed out rivers is often very soft and volume is an asset here.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    What kind of rides do you typically rides?
    Not single track. What I call fire roads probably the same that you ride. I would probably seek out more single track but that would never constitute the majority of my rides. I'm comfortable on a cross bike virtually everywhere except ultra steep. This would be for fun and also to gas it a bit more on descent or rather so I don't have to choose my line like on a skinny knobby tire. Mostly, I just want the fun of riding a bigger tire and that would be anything from 2.25 to 2.8.

Do you think 29+ is smart for full rigid? Like it makes less sense for 2.4.

Fork and wheels can you even do a V-brake on a mtb today? Would there be options to complete a build? It seems like wheels would be limited right? I know that sounds crazy but I'm just thinking out of the box un petit peu. I don't even know if Paul makes a V-brake that would get the job done but 29+ might be the limiting factor there as the fork would probably only be disc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget about rim brakes. You need rims of at least 30mm internal width for these kind of tires (I was using 50mm ones) and you will never find rims with brak tracks of these size.

Yes I do think 29+ makes a lot of sense for a full rigid bike.

Right now I am building a trek farley, which is a fat bike, because I want to ride on the beaches and since I kept my 29+ wheelset I will relace the rims to fat spacing for regular mtb duties. I only hope I won't be annoyed by the wider q-factor.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-17-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29+ is fast AF if you can keep air in the tires, but wouldn’t be a great choice if you are mostly riding gravel.

That being said i think you are indicating that you just want a stock, normal ass 29” bike with a rigid fork to ride the way most roadies have historically ridden mountain bikes.
    You probably want something a few years old, with a(now) gravel-esque 70-71 deg head angle. Modern hardtails are too stable to make decent gravel bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    That being said i think you are indicating that you just want a stock, normal ass 29” bike with a rigid fork to ride the way most roadies have historically ridden mountain bikes.
    Yessir, I would say this is very accurate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Yessir, I would say this is very accurate
    A previous Gen XYZ race bike, with a 10 speed double setup! Boyohboy there are so many grumpy folks that bikes like that basically aren't available any more.
    I bet you there is a 10 year old Seven or something out there that's just a fork swap away from being the Ti all-terrain cruiser of your dreams, for less than the price of a "modern" entry level xc hardtail(if you could actually find one to buy).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like what I bought super cheap last summer. First Gen Niner Air9 carbon CYA. First Gen Niner BB was creaky so I got it for a song.

Super light and fun for the lame-o old man riding I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Sounds like what I bought super cheap last summer. First Gen Niner Air9 carbon CYA. First Gen Niner BB was creaky so I got it for a song.

Super light and fun for the lame-o old man riding I do.
    The carbon bull moose bar stem is a nice touch. Were you able to quiet the BB down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Pulled the old one, cleaned everything and installed the niner biocentric 2 according to their specs. Absolutely silent since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast