Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-mtb or WTF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default E-mtb or WTF?

Finished a ride yesterday afternoon and rehydrating in the parking lot....see a bunch of fat bikes...cool stuff. Then this guy comes out of the woods with a fat bike with an electric motor. Start talking to him and its a 1/2hp motor with a battery. Thing weighs 60lbs!! For the life of me I can't figure out why you would want to push/lug that pile of crap through the woods.

Different strokes and all but WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope this wasn't B Street!

Let's call them mopeds.
    Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: E-mtb or WTF?

No idea about the fat bike but that KTM Electric thingy is really nice. Around 45minutes of battery power in full power mode, much longer on lower levels but I think I'd be pretty beaten up after a 45min ride in the local trails:

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I hope this wasn't B Street!

Let's call them mopeds.
    Twas B Street.

I told the guy he should've bought a moped too or at least added turn signals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I detest e-bikes on trails. Most trails don't allow motorized vehicle access, which they are.

I'm sure they're fun though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thought is that they only make sense for commuters. If your out recreationally riding, why, just why. Defeats the main purpose of riding a bike, fun as they may be.

absolutely not on trails....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike ebikes too, but I have gone soft recently... if its getting people out of their homes/off the couch I think its great.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication
    www.instagram.com/Hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commuting, fine.
    Trails? Pump in the spokes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a motorized vehicle. No means no.

Hmmm, Todd Holland is a motorized vehicle too. Reconsidering this now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It is a motorized vehicle. No means no.

Hmmm, Todd Holland is a motorized vehicle too. Reconsidering this now.
    That's the most accurate description of TH I've heard yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I detest those things too. Dont care if they get people off the couch. Just another way for lazy people to pretend they're getting exercise..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think an e-mtb will be great for getting groceries or running errands. However on single track trails, no. Unless they are moto trails then it's ok.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In SoCal we seem to have a bike shop on every corner. The shop I use is a small one but he stocks the motorized FBs. So I am assuming there is a market for them here. I see a lot of motorized cruisers and I guess this is the next step. Actually I want the gizmo Candellaria allegedly had on his bike (lol).
    Livin The Dream in Surf City USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a lot of dislike of these bikes being on the trails. Sure, if a trail specifically bans the use of a motor then technically it's off limits. But if they are not banned, then what's the big deal? Let the people riding them be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by becomingblue View Post
    Seems like a lot of dislike of these bikes being on the trails. Sure, if a trail specifically bans the use of a motor then technically it's off limits. But if they are not banned, then what's the big deal? Let the people riding them be.
    Erosion. The ebike drivetrains can add north of 300W to your effective threshold power. That means jumping out of corners harder and with a lot more force and coming into braking zones significantly hotter. You also can get away with not being nearly as smooth with the bike to go fast on the trail. You know those washboarded out sections at the bottoms of downhills? You'll start seeing more stuff like that on the flat parts of the trail if these really take off.

The e-mtb's look like they'd make fantastic commuters though. I have a pretty flat commute into work that involves a small amount of limestone bike path to get into town and then a couple miles of city streets to get to my office. If I had a bike that let me get across town without necessitating a time trial effort to keep up with traffic I'd ride into work almost every day.

Also, I very much want to troll Strava with one of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now how about this thought:
    i have never ridden a bike and now im going to ride a 300 watt ebike on the bike path to work, never ridden a bike in my life but im fanging around at on bike paths designed for 15-25 km p/hr traffic and i using this thing at full capabilities 35-40 km p/hr with my fine handeling skills.
    im all for everyone on bikes, but i dont think these ebikes are the way to do it.
    Thank, mick van aar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I also put this is the motorized vehicle category with everyone else. And because of that, it should be treated accordingly. You can not take a moped/scooter on a bike path, therefor you can not take an e-bike on a bike path.

As far as riding it in the woods and the potential damage to the trails, again it falls under motorized vehicle. If motorized vehicles are allowed, the e-bike should be allowed.

I used to live ride/train in a part of New England that that had hundreds of miles of trails (primarily snow machine trails). These are back woods trails that get hammered by the local ATV, dirt bikes, and 4 wheelers dudes in the summer*. There is no e-bike in the world that is going to do to these trails what these other motorized vehicles do. We are not talking about groomed MTB trails. Go e-bike yourself silly on that stuff.

* This is not a political statement. I too had a KTM 200 for a while. It was awesome.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating the dead horse here.

"Cheating".

Not really, just faster. Speaking only of the pedal assist variety here. I own a Moonlander with a BionX on it. I work just as hard as my non E buddies when riding, I'm just arriving way ahead of them. Don't push hard enough, and the power cuts, leaving you stranded in WAY too high a gear, mid hill. So once climbing starts, it's all hands on deck, every time till you get to the top.

Erosion.

Sorry, again, pedal assist? No way, no how. Those 5000W bolt on "motors" you buy from some shady dude on the internet? Those are motorcycles, and yes, they can ruin trails with the best of throttle twisters.

Do I ride it much? Not really. I generally ride "un aided". But when we get a good dump of snow, I am the straight trail maker/groomer, and my machine is appreciated.

Mostly for demo purposes, and running the dogs or dashing to the post office.

Best we understand what they really are, and the differences contained, before just flat out dismissing them as evil to trails, or exercise....

And yes, they may well get some softy off the couch and back on a bike, I think that's cool too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mathias Flueckiger doing some social advertising...

Who says E-Bikes are for unfit people? Our it's definitely not E-Sphen @stockli_1935

Une vidéo publiée par Mathias Flückiger (@mathflueck) le

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dredging up on oldie but a goodie. Had my first experience sharing the trails with e bikers. Sun was out so plenty of fair weathers out. They mostly acted like MTB riders. But it was just .... Wrong. I felt wounded by the whole thing. Have ground this axe everywhere I could and no one will listen so I am taking it to the VS streets. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast