Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-mtb or WTF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: E-mtb or WTF?

I see them all the time. They're just doing their thing. Its not that different. They just cover more ground.

Whatever.

I'd sooner ride with someone on an e-bike than a person who gets worked up about it and complains about them.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plenty of e-MTBs and e-fatbikes in the Engadine. If you live in the Swiss Alps, it's the most sensible types of push bikes to have as one's daily rig.

On the Raid Pyrénnéen, we got overtaken on the Tourmalet by a local farmer going about his business on an e-MTB. Not the most uplifting moment for us, but we all thought it's a most sensible form of short range transport for the guy.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I see them all the time. They're just doing their thing. Its not that different. They just cover more ground.

Whatever.

I'd sooner ride with someone on an e-bike than a person who gets worked up about it and complains about them.
    i guess i am not invited to your birthday party

but i think that's partially the point... unless their battery craps out before you get back to the trailhead, you wouldn't be riding with them. they would golf-cart thru the woods ahead. different sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really depends on the people on the bikes.

In flattish area an e-bike isn't really much faster unless the rider is highly skilled already. I have done some nice ride with a colleague who was riding an e-MTB. He isn't very skilled nor is he very fit. In the non technical flat areas we rode together, he waited for me in the steep climbs, I waited for him in the downhills and technical stuffs.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    i guess i am not invited to your birthday party

but i think that's partially the point... unless their battery craps out before you get back to the trailhead, you wouldn't be riding with them. they would golf-cart thru the woods ahead. different sport.
    No. I’ve ridden with people who have been on e-bikes. They wouldn’t have joined us- or rather, wouldn’t been able to have stayed with the group without holding everybody up- on an analog mountain bike. This way we were all able to ride together and enjoy each other’s company.

It’s pedal assist. Not a golf cart. There’s no gas pedal or or throttle. You have to pedal to make an e-bike go. It’s truly just an assist. What do you care if someone has less of a struggle (physically or internally) to get to the top? It’s less of a struggle for them, not for you- and more importantly, than you. Struggle and pain and suffering, that’s all relative. You don’t know what’s going on with them. Maybe they’ve got some ailment and this lets them keep riding. Maybe they’re physically fine and they’re going three times as far as you’re able to go. Maybe they don’t have a lot of time but they’re gonna get a ride in. They’re just out there doing their thing. Forget about them and do yours.

I personally don’t own one. I’ve ridden them. They’re fun. I’m afraid if I bought one I might not want to ride my analog bikes. But I don’t get mad at people who do own and ride them, as long as they are courteous out on the trails. Because it’s not a competition, and who really cares anyway? Did you go outside for your own fitness and spiritual fulfillment or somebody else’s?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having an e-bike for commuting sounds pretty awesome.

Our local trail system is kinda fragile, has about 30 miles of single track total and only a couple hard climbs. Having more people going faster and braking harder on the trails is what bugs me the most. The rest I don't really care about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you go outside for your own fitness and spiritual fulfillment or somebody else’s?
    that right there is a great question, and made me reflect on why they stick in my craw. given the obvious (and for any of us who have loved a good thing too much, easily forgotten) answer to your question, I guess at the end of the day the only concern is land use? i.e. some trails are only for bikes and equestrians, etc.... defining e-bikes seems important and protecting land. and, then there is the question of whether a golf cart motor on a bicycle makes the woods less spiritual for everyone else. i have an inclination in one direction but i will try to not be a hardass about it, Chase, scouts honor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    that right there is a great question, and made me reflect on why they stick in my craw. given the obvious (and for any of us who have loved a good thing too much, easily forgotten) answer to your question, I guess at the end of the day the only concern is land use? i.e. some trails are only for bikes and equestrians, etc.... defining e-bikes seems important and protecting land. and, then there is the question of whether a golf cart motor on a bicycle makes the woods less spiritual for everyone else. i have an inclination in one direction but i will try to not be a hardass about it, Chase, scouts honor.
    The wieght of a horse and rider and the hardness of their hooves do way more damage to a trail than a mountain bike and a set of tires ever could. This has been studied. Add the 15lbs of an e-bike and its still not even close. Most people aren't getting that much more e-advantage on descents. And you can't really do that much more damage on ascents compared to an analog mountian bike.

Equestrians eventually pulverize a trail into one flat, wide road. Equestrians usually put zero effort into actual trail work. All of their resources go into legislation restricting access to other tail users. If you're afraid e-bikes will threaten your trail access, it's not because of other cyclists. It's because of people people who have deep pockets and little-to-no respect for other trial users.

Know your enemy.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wieght of a horse and rider and the hardness of their hooves do way more damage to a trail than a mountain bike and a set of tires ever could. This has been studied. Add the 15lbs of an e-bike and its still not even close. Most people aren't getting that much more e-advantage on descents. And you can't really do that much more damage on ascents compared to an analog mountian bike.

Equestrians eventually pulverize a trail into one flat, wide road. Equestrians usually put zero effort into actual trail work. All of their resources go into legislation restricting access to other tail users. If you're afraid e-bikes will threaten your trail access, it's not because of other cyclists. It's because of people people who have deep pockets and little-to-no respect for other trial users.

Know your enemy.
    Sh!1 I can't talk and wasn't specific ... was just an example of a trail designation - we share equestrians as the adversary, my man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bikes are fun. All kinds.

Put on some extra layers and get out for a ride.