User Tag List

Thread: Droppin' droppah (seatpost slippage content)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Droppin' droppah (seatpost slippage content)

Okie doke, bad news bears here. The dropper on my Cielo is slipping. I don't know if it's slipping when I am just riding along or if it's slipping when I bump it down with my fanny and it hits the bottom of its travel or what. Either way mucho undesirable outcome. Adjusted it once mid ride today and it was down about a centimeter again by the end of the ride. In a one hour ride.

I can torque it enough to keep the seatpost in place ... But it is impinging on the post return travel and it shudders or doesn't go all the way up. Haven't yet found a sweet spot of unhindered travel but no slippage. This is a newer development and seems to be getting worse. (Or at least getting worse since I started noticing/measuring seat height/noting height mid ride etc.). The post is a BX Ascend (Chain Reaction's off brand). Has been super reliable the past two years. Started noticing about two months ago. Steel frame.

Guy at the trail head suggested a brand with a thicker wall on the post but that doesn't get to the bottom of it. why is trouble starting now?

What say ye?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Droppin' droppah (seatpost slippage content)

Carbon friction paste seems to work in these non-carbon cases. Another trick is old fashioned white chalk... I used this on a my Fox Transfer that is known for the same issue you are describing and it held great (I've found no issue with reactions between materials, but ymmv)
    Andy Belcher

Cardinal Creative
    flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    What say ye?
    There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason sometimes for why posts start to slip when they previously had not. Or at least I have not found out why.

This has happened to me but with a Thomson. And for that matter, other than upping the torque, my approach for problem-solving it was the same.

I've noted that some seat post clamps just don't match well with droppers and some rider weights. Salsa's lip lock seems to be a reliable one that offers good clamping force.

- Remove post and clean inside of seat tube and clean the post.
    - Now depending on the post and amount of slippage, I'll start with a normal assembly of lightly greasing post and inside of seat tube.
    - If that doesn't work and it still slips, I'll then move to grease the seat tube but not the post OR grease the post and not the seat tube. Try both if one doesn't work.
    - Move on to friction paste if all the above doesn't work.
    - Each and every time I'm trying this, I'm going to the maximum recommended torque with a good torque wrench (I've found the small Park torque wrenches to be off). Effetto Mariposa makes a great one. A bit pricey, but worth it.
    - Chalking the post in a clean insert is the last option for really stubborn slippage posts.

One last trick I've used is to tighten the torque past what the recommended torque is till the post stops slipping. This will create return issues of the dropper. Back off on the bolt by 1/8 turn at a time until the post comes back up without sticking.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by fortyfour; 11-01-2018 at 09:41 AM.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to fortyfours reply, I too have heard that a change is post clamp can help. I have heard good luck with the Thomson clamp that reportedly was designed to distribute force evenly if you want to buy all the marketing etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    To add to fortyfours reply, I too have heard that a change is post clamp can help. I have heard good luck with the Thomson clamp that reportedly was designed to distribute force evenly if you want to buy all the marketing etc.
    Ironically, the Thomson clamp is the exact one I've had the most reported problems from clients. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but when they swapped out the binder bolt to a smaller allen... that's exactly when I started having clients report issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great timing on this, as I am having this exact issue with a thompson clamp. I reached thr carbon paste/sneaking the torque a bit higher stage.

So the Salsa liplock is the preferred solution? I was thinking a gold anodized firefly one would match nicely with sram eagle accents...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    Ironically, the Thomson clamp is the exact one I've had the most reported problems from clients. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but when they swapped out the binder bolt to a smaller allen... that's exactly when I started having clients report issues.
    Same here. Thomson clamps just don't hold. Salsa's work, I prefer the DKG (who I believe were the original manufacturers for Salsa before Ross sold it)
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    Great timing on this, as I am having this exact issue with a thompson clamp. I reached thr carbon paste/sneaking the torque a bit higher stage.

So the Salsa liplock is the preferred solution? I was thinking a gold anodized firefly one would match nicely with sram eagle accents...
    So far, the Salsa Liplock ($22.00) has been the affordable go-to option that seems to help most of my clients. All but my road bike sport them now because of this. I can't speak to the Firefly clamp FYI but to be honest, the reason posts slip is because the torque setting required to actually hold the post in place is too low. But that's in direct conflict with the dropper's requirement of a lower torque setting.

It could even be that the inside of the seat tube is slightly over spec and the seat post is slightly under spec. I've seen that scenario too. Or the surface area inside the seat tube just is not sufficient to apply enough clamping force.

The best options for clamps I've found are ones that provide a larger bolt or a double bolt and have a stainless bolt with a stainless steel pivot (so the collar itself is not threaded - there's a separate part that can be replaced along with the bolt).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks, gang. I will begin working down your list, Kris.

I am also glad to know I'm not alone. I was slightly afraid that the downforce of my fanny was helping ream out my seat tube or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have a brandx dropper, no slippage nor do I have return issue. However my seatclamp that came with the frame is an old style one with a quick-release and is fairly tall compared to lighter, more modern ones. I bought a lighter/smaller clamp but have been too lazy to remove the post (it is internally routed) to install it. Post was installed using effetto mariposa carbogrip.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-01-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s